Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens 2020 Backfield and Running Game

1,000 yards for Dobbins THIS year seems very aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    My hope is that we get away from the reliance on read-option plays and really truly develop an independent run game that can stand on its own...
    Out of curiosity, why?

To me, that's like saying the Manning Colts should have gotten away from the reliance on play action, and developed a passing game that can stand on its own. Read-option takes one of the opposing team's best players completely out of the play without even having to block him. And Lamar is so damn good at it. And I don't mean at running. I mean at reading. He reads whether and when to pull the ball better so incredibly well. It's a huge advantage, and I don't know why you wouldn't want to rely on it.

(I do get that you're not saying scrap it; just that you don't want it to be the foundation of the run game.)
    Last edited by HotInHere; 05-20-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    1,000 yards for Dobbins THIS year seems very aggressive.
    Especially with mark barely going over 1k last season. Now you add dobbins. It’s RBBC all the way. I’m pretty sure EDC and his analytic team will think that’s the best route.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Out of curiosity, why?

To me, that's like saying the Manning Colts should have gotten away from the reliance on play action, and develop a passing game that can stand on its own. Read-option takes one of the opposing team's best players completely out of the play without even having to block him. And Lamar is so damn good at it. And I don't mean at running. I mean at reading. He reads whether and when to pull the ball better so incredibly well. It's a huge advantage, and I don't know why you wouldn't want to rely on it.

(I do get that you're not saying scrap it; just that you don't want it to be the foundation of the run game.)
    I love read-option. Love it. But I also want to develop a non-read option based run game that is on par w/ the 49ers, Titans and Vikings.

I think our best running games (Patriots/Texans) are when there is diversity in the run game as opposed to reliance on read-option. Some teams are going to defend the read-option well and if that happens I want to be able to line-up and run power or outside zone or inside zone and have confidence that its going to work.

I think read-option concepts could be even more effective when defenses also fear our non-read option run game.
    I want the 49ers-Titans level run game + Lamar and read-option.

I love read-option. Love it. But I also want to develop a non-read option based run game that is on par w/ the 49ers, Titans and Vikings.

I think our best running games (Patriots/Texans) are when there is diversity in the run game as opposed to reliance on read-option. Some teams are going to defend the read-option well and if that happens I want to be able to line-up and run power or outside zone or inside zone and have confidence that its going to work.

I think read-option concepts could be even more effective when defenses also fear our non-read option run game.
    So a less Lamar dependent running game? I agree with that.

Gotcha. Throw in a Saints/Chiefs-level passing game, and EDC's vision of an "Undefendable Offense" will be complete.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davesta View Post
    Especially with mark barely going over 1k last season. Now you add dobbins. It’s RBBC all the way. I’m pretty sure EDC and his analytic team will think that’s the best route.
    I think it will be RBBC too, but I think Dobbins will be the lead back. And I expect the lead back to bet around 200 carries, that's what Ingram got last year.

Do you think the RBBC carries distribution/approach form last will change this year in a way that will prevent a RB from gaining 1,000 yards?

Heck, if it were me 1,000 yard for Dobbins and Ingram would be a goal and I think its attainable.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-24-2020 at 02:31 PM.

I think it will be RBBC too, but I think Dobbins will be the lead back. And I expect the lead back to bet around 200 carries, that's what Ingram got last year.

Do you think the RBBC carries distribution/approach form last will change this year in a way that will prevent a RB from gaining 1,000 yards?

Heck, if it were me 1,000 yard for Dobbins and Ingram would be a goal and I think its attainable.
    Ingram makes for a fantastic passing down back so I do hope this is the final solution.
    I hope we get to showcase Gus and Justice a lot in the preseason, would love to get something for either of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Ingram makes for a fantastic passing down back so I do hope this is the final solution.
    I hope we get to showcase Gus and Justice a lot in the preseason, would love to get something for either of them.

I predict people are going to start to get excited about Hill in this offense. With time I expect Gus's carries to dwindle and see some inactive time later in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I predict people are going to start to get excited about Hill in this offense. With time I expect Gus's carries to dwindle and see some inactive time later in the season.
    Gus at lest adds a little something different. I’m still really unsure Hill even earns a roster spot. I’m not sure what he brings to the table.
    I certainly hope that I am proven wrong, but the guy seemed very UN-special last year. He would have to show a LOT to get anywhere near the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I dunno. The thing is, I don't think we have anyone else who's good fit for the short yardage / power back role. Does Justice do anything that JK Dobbins doesn't? I see Gus still having a role, even if Dobbins eats into Justice's and Ingram's snaps.

NOT trying to say that we should cut Hill, or that we shouldn't keep four. Just that, I could see Gus still having a role, even if Hill were a better player. (Which Hill hasn't shown that he is.)

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Gus at least adds a little something different.
    I typed too slow!