Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens 2020 Backfield and Running Game

Umm...okay.

You question my valuations yet claim that Richsteiner, an UDFA prospect, has more value then Hill, a guy who actually played RB in real games and plays special teams. Based it seems almost exclusively on his dubious at best “pro-day” testing numbers?

Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Umm...okay.

You question my valuations yet claim that Richsteiner, an UDFA prospect, has more value then Hill, a guy who actually played RB in real games and plays special teams. Based it seems almost exclusively on his dubious at best “pro-day” testing numbers?

Okay.
    Not sure why you have to inject smarmy... "umm.. ok.." kinda stuff into an otherwise civil conversation.

But regardless, I don't doubt that Hill is a more proven NFL commodity than Rechsteiner.

But honestly, Hill is a more proven NFL commodity than Dobbins as well. Do you seriously think that the organization sees a higher value in Hill than it does in Dobbins? If you're honest with yourself you'll concede that it does not.

So clearly, NFL experience isn't everything.

More importantly, there are other considerations that go into the question of running back. Like the value that the LEAGUE places on the position for example. Like it or not, the position of Running Back is the least valued skill position, and among the least valued positions as a whole, objectively. So it is considered (rightly or wrongly) easier to replace a running back than it is to replace a receiver, or a TE, or a OT or even a center.

That means that teams are less inclined to hold onto RBs. You may not like this truth, but that doesn't make it any less true.

That, coupled with my earlier point, that this was a pretty good draft for the Ravens, and that it was a pretty good after-draft (UDFAs), and that they have added FA signings as well, means that the organization will face a pretty tight crunch for roster spots.

I cited Rechsteiner as a versatile UDFA that the team may want to keep. I cited others as well. It's a deep class. I cited Rechsteiner in particular, not solely because of his pro day, but because he rushed for 8.2 yds/carry as a fullback, had over 1000 all purpose yds, has played both sides of the ball, benched 35 reps, is a pancake machine as a blocker, and would make one helluva gunner (because he obviously won't supplant Ricard on day one if they keep him)

That's a little more of a reason than "his pro day numbers".

And he's one of several players with a LOT of potential upside that will be pressuring Hill's roster spot if they don't trade Hill first... IMO

Breeland, Proche, and Huntley come to mind, but there are others as well.

And in closing I'd say that I really don't understand the need of some people on this forum to inject emotion into things by getting smarmy and condescending when anyone offers a different opinion than the one you have. Seems kinda silly to me. But whatever

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Not sure why you have to inject smarmy... "umm.. ok.." kinda stuff into an otherwise civil conversation.....And in closing I'd say that I really don't understand the need of some people on this forum to inject emotion into things by getting smarmy and condescending when anyone offers a different opinion than the one you have. Seems kinda silly to me. But whatever
    Wow what just happened here..... This is your reaction to "Umm okay"?

You began this conversation by making 2 false claims in response to my post.

You're assuming that the organization would place a higher value on the 4th RB, than they would place on another draft pick, or UDFA, or FA acquisition requiring a spot on the 53.
    As I understand the new rules, having the flexibility to call up a 54th or 55th player from the PS does nothing to protect them from pilferage by another organization on any given week
    But, yeah sure....okay, lol.
    We can agree to disagree, call it a stylistic clash.

I'll be sure to keep my eye out for Steiner!

Blog Entries

https://www.nfl.com/news/lamar-jacks...losive-runners

Lamar Jackson, Dalvin Cook among NFL's 10 most explosive runners
    A minimum of 100 carries in 2019

At least 20 carries of 10-plus yards

The defining metric: percentage of runs of 15-plus mph

Before listing these top 10 -- I know, you're getting impatient -- here's an important disclosure for you angry tweeters.

The following players barely missed the mark but would have landed among this group if the 10-plus-yard runs minimum was dropped to, say, 15: Matt Breida (18 runs of 10-plus yards), Josh Allen (17), Alvin Kamara (19), Austin Ekeler (15), Alexander Mattison (15) and Miles Sanders (16). Those clamoring for Nick Chubb should know that, while he had 39 runs of 10-plus yards, his 15-plus mph run percentage fell below the top 10 at 12.4 percent, partially as a result of his nearly 300 carries. The same goes for Ezekiel Elliott (who posted a mark of 11.3%), Derrick Henry (14.9%) and Saquon Barkley (15.7%) .

Hopefully JK Dobbins will join Lamar (#1) in the top 10 of explosive runs next year.
    In this offense I believe the RB should be up near the top of explosive runs.
    Last edited by edromeo; 05-27-2020 at 07:45 PM.

I think (3) 1000 yard rushers would be cool..
    Ingram, Dobbins and LJ8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think (3) 1000 yard rushers would be cool:
    Ingram, Dobbins and LJ8.
    Would be.

Honestly I would not be surprised if Lamar never hits 1000 again. I expect his rush attempts to drop a little each year.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Would be.

Honestly I would not be surprised if Lamar never hits 1000 again. I expect his rush attempts to drop a little each year.
    Likely, but i could see his efficiency rising as his volume drops. He could hit 1k on 120-130 carries.

Blog Entries

I think his carries will come down as the team improves/develops skill position personnel that will allow the offense to becomes less reliant on him.

The article points out an aspect of the running game that i believe is missing and its the reason why I think the staff drafted JK Dobbins this year and Hill last year: explosive runs. (Its the reason why I wanted Jonathan Taylor...) Ingram is a damn good RB and Gus is good also, but neither are explosive enough to really exploits the running lanes this offense creates.

Explosive running is desired by every single talent evaluator at every level of football. As they say, speed kills. Entire college football conferences (hello, SEC) are built on this principle, and it's no surprise that the NFL is chock full of the best of these types of runners.

When one thinks of explosive runners, one tends to think of the running back position, but our leader -- by a WIDE margin -- in this examination of the NFL's most explosive runners is a quarterback, and when you see who it is (no peeking!) you won't be surprised. He did win Most Valuable Player, after all. (And, yes, is mentioned in the headline.)

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Bruh the editing in that video is sooooo rough. Some of it does look pretty cool I guess but if you’re trying to watch what Justice Hill actually did as a football player... yeah it’s kinda frustrating that this is the only full-year highlight package out there lol

The weirdest thing is that dude makes a ton of Ravens videos and while they’re all kinda flashy this is the only one I’ve seen that goes completely overboard like this.
    Edgar Allen does a rookie rundown on your favorite RB:

Good hands as a receiver; growth in decisiveness down the stretch; a hint of trying to do too much instead of taking what's there. (But mostly early, I gather?)

Good hands as a receiver; growth in decisiveness down the stretch; a hint of trying to do too much instead of taking what's there. (But mostly early, I gather?)
    He’s tied with Gus as my third favorite lol but I definitely look forward to watching this tomorrow

Trying to do too much is no surprise, that was a bit of a problem in college too (against college defenders it worked out as often as it didn’t but he’s in the NFL now). I definitely agree he got noticeably better as the year went along. Shit I might go ahead and watch this now

My overall impression of Justice last season was that he looked good using his speed to the outside and that was about it. The first 7:40 of that video seemed to confirm that view - the plays at c. 4 and 6 minutes were particularly bad, he made bad decisions and looked to go outside even when that was the wrong move.

However the two plays from 7:40 on were better - he ran inside and made the right decisions. He does look like he has some potential after all.

I hope he keeps improving but I'm not yet going to rank him alongside Gus based on 2 plays Vs 2 years of plays.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    My overall impression of Justice last season was that he looked good using his speed to the outside and that was about it. The first 7:40 of that video seemed to confirm that view - the plays at c. 4 and 6 minutes were particularly bad, he made bad decisions and looked to go outside even when that was the wrong move.

However the two plays from 7:40 on were better - he ran inside and made the right decisions. He does look like he has some potential after all.

I hope he keeps improving but I'm not yet going to rank him alongside Gus based on 2 plays Vs 2 years of plays.
    Pretty much where I’m at. As well as Dobbins being a much better version of Hill. Better in pretty much every way.