Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Possible shocking news

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Couldn't they designate it as a post-June 1 cut (or just wait until June 1)? If I understand correctly, that'd keep his 2020 hit at $15m (2020 guaranteed salary of $10m plus $5m in prorated signing bonus), pushing the $10m in accelerated bonuses into 2021. I'm no Brian McFarland though, so I could definitely be wrong here. That'd just be kicking the can down the road, but if they really wanted to cut him, I suspect that's how they would do it.
    Yes.

I was only considering HH's original assertion that news of him being released was imminent. But post June 1, they would not take on any additional cap hit (or savings). It would be $15MM in dead money this year, and just $5MM in dead money each of the following seasons, based on the source I looked at (because his contract goes through '22).

It seems to be designed to have him play this year only, regardless of this episode.

If he plays this year and then is let go pre-June 1 next year, they take on the $10MM in dead money next year, but save $6MM against the cap, which can go to Stanley or Humphrey or Judon.

2. Re: Possible shocking news

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yes.

I was only considering HH's original assertion that news of him being released was imminent. But post June 1, they would not take on any additional cap hit (or savings). It would be $15MM in dead money this year, and just $5MM in dead money each of the following seasons, based on the source I looked at (because his contract goes through '22).
    I believe you can designate up to 2 cuts per year as post-june 1, even if cutting the player prior to that date. So they could cut him immediately with that designation.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The one scenario I could see is that there is some more incriminating things that Earl has done that the team knows about but we don't yet.
    Or something more going on like substance abuse. We just have to wait for the other shoe to drop.

I would just like to see a source backing up the original poster of the alleged possibly happening.

Wouldnt be surprised at all if Earl did something even more sinister behind the scenes that we don’t know about and the teams do.

Just weird to see something like this pulled out of thin air. So i expect it to be at least somewhat true.

"released/bought out"

Why would the Ravens buy him out? This suggests to me that maybe it is as simple as the wife wanting to take the kids and go back home to Texas, and that ET's only avenue for saving a relationship with his family is to adjust to that reality and make a deal to go into retirement.

Marital discord is so common - and everybody is different.

Have my fingers crossed, too.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I believe you can designate up to 2 cuts per year as post-june 1, even if cutting the player prior to that date. So they could cut him immediately with that designation.
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Still a lot of money without a lot of tested options. The Jimmy Smith to safety thing starts to come into play I suppose. We'll have to wait and see if it comes to that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I remember the Achilles injury for Suggs post that hit here and doubted. Next day it was in the news so I hold my breath after that when I read shit like this.
    Don’t forget the ‘Sergio Kindle falling down the stairs drunk at a party’ one.

Now I'm going to be paranoid until something else is said about it.

Cmon Eric we know you read this board

Wise and patient intervention can sometimes lead to a good outcome.

No news is good news.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Earl Thomas will be released/bought out

I actually hope it is inaccurate but heard it from a very reliable source
    Will you out the reliable source if it doesn’t happen?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Cmon Eric we know you read this board
    He doesn’t lol