Fingers crossed
    He’s not getting cut

Re: Possible shocking news

Quote Originally Posted by ShaySharpe View Post
    He’s not getting cut
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I have no sources myself and therefore no ability to endorse or challenge HH's report, either way.

I did hear an interview with an NFL player agent who looked at Thomas' contract and said there is zero chance to wiggle out of their deal based on any kind of detrimental conduct clause. I, again, have to assume that information is reliable.

In terms of the financial impact, just to clarify an earlier statement I think I saw here, if he is cut now it accelerates $10MM into their cap this year (an extra $10MM they don't currently have available, meaning it would require some other move, like extending Stanley or Judon)--and the total dead money this year would be $25MM.

So, if you asked me if I think that is likely to happen, I have to say no. But I have no way of knowing what they are thinking.
    Honest question, would Earl's contract be available to ANY NFL player agent? I can't see how the Ravens eat 10m this year even if they extend Stanley/Judon. That's still going into the season with peanuts as cap space left.

4. Re: Possible shocking news

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I have no sources myself and therefore no ability to endorse or challenge HH's report, either way.

I did hear an interview with an NFL player agent who looked at Thomas' contract and said there is zero chance to wiggle out of their deal based on any kind of detrimental conduct clause. I, again, have to assume that information is reliable.

In terms of the financial impact, just to clarify an earlier statement I think I saw here, if he is cut now it accelerates $10MM into their cap this year (an extra $10MM they don't currently have available, meaning it would require some other move, like extending Stanley or Judon)--and the total dead money this year would be $25MM.

So, if you asked me if I think that is likely to happen, I have to say no. But I have no way of knowing what they are thinking.
    Couldn't they designate it as a post-June 1 cut (or just wait until June 1)? If I understand correctly, that'd keep his 2020 hit at $15m (2020 guaranteed salary of $10m plus $5m in prorated signing bonus), pushing the $10m in accelerated bonuses into 2021. I'm no Brian McFarland though, so I could definitely be wrong here. That'd just be kicking the can down the road, but if they really wanted to cut him, I suspect that's how they would do it.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

And replaced with who???

Blog Entries

goodbyeharv

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Quite the provocative thread HH...hope your source is right or much abuse you will endure...good luck to ya
    The money just doesn't point to moving on from Earl. If we still have to pay him, then let him play and see if he plays better (if that is a problem) or adjusts his attitude (if that is a problem). If things dont get better they can always bench him or send him home.

I just dont see taking that kind if cap hit and not get anything for it. It would take something much worse than what we (as fans) know about Earl's domestic situation.

Blog Entries

don't believe it for a second but at least it's football talk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Frankly, I'm still surprised the Ravens signed Earl. Never thought Harbaugh would allow Thomas on the team after the blatant disrespect Thomas showed in Seattle.

I'm not sure how the Ravens can financially part ways with him this year unless there is a unknown outclause in the contract that Thomas has violated.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

As multiple others have posted, releasing Earl makes 0 sense as a team building move. Cap reasons aside, who are the Ravens going to replace Earl with? There aren't any starting-caliber safeties on the market and trusting that Elliott or one of the other young safeties is going to be even a passable starter in 2020 is a gamble. I don't believe it at all, unless news comes out that he was lying to the team about what really happened.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Blog Entries

I remember the Achilles injury for Suggs post that hit here and doubted. Next day it was in the news so I hold my breath after that when I read shit like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The one scenario I could see is that there is some more incriminating things that Earl has done that the team knows about but we don't yet.
    The only way they'd eat the significant amount of dead money they'd have IMO. No way they take a 25M dead money hit (if they could even work contracts to manage that) over what has been reported so far. Now, a credible report of DV on his end, or something else that is a real bad look? I think that'd have to force their hand, just like the video did for the Rice incident.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52