Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breonna Taylor

Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Thank you....it's just baffling to me that they got treatment that should be reserved for a Pablo Escobar or something. It makes no sense.
    I get that overwhelming use of force can paradoxically result in less violence. That doesn't work when a homeowner happens to be armed and in a situation where he has no idea who just kicked his door in. If someone kicks my door in and I happen to be up and my pistol is handy I am maybe shooting that person.

I want to update this to add that the context is important. If you are going into the home of a hardened criminal then guns blazing makes more sense. I don't get that here. Seems like they just reflexively opened up when someone shot at them. Once that first shot is fired all bets are off. As law enforcement professionals I would think you would have to train for a scenario like this, exactly like this one, in order to prevent it in the future. This seems like a training exercise waiting to happen and I'm guessing it will become part of whatever training these guys get.

There clearly needs to be some changes to the procedures on this. They were both asleep in bed, which the story says this incident happened "in the early morning hours." It should be reasonable to assume the occupants would be asleep. Police claim they identified themselves as police. The boyfriend and several other neighbors claim that didn't happen. Well, chances are everyone was asleep, if someone yells something at my door good chance it doesn't wake me up, and if it does, I'm not coherent enough to process what they said, if I could even understand it. The police should have expected this.

Then they bust open the door on sleeping occupants. Some have stated that people probably bust into homes to rob in bad neighborhoods all the time. I don't know if this was in fact a bad neighborhood or not. But if they truly suspected drug activity, they should probably also suspect that their may be a firearm or firearms in the home. Busting a door open in the "early morning hours" is probably going to get a response like this, not a smoothly controlled situation. The police should have expected this as well.

I'm not saying any of this in an attempt to put blame on the police. They had the warrant, they executed it in line with their procedures (I am assuming), they were shot at and one was hit, and the whole incident had a terrible outcome. But whenever you have a bad outcome, you need to look at the steps that led to it and correct.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I get that overwhelming use of force can paradoxically result in less violence. That doesn't work when a homeowner happens to be armed and in a situation where he has no idea who just kicked his door in. If someone kicks my door in and I happen to be up and my pistol is handy I am maybe shooting that person.

I want to update this to add that the context is important. If you are going into the home of a hardened criminal then guns blazing makes more sense. I don't get that here. Seems like they just reflexively opened up when someone shot at them. Once that first shot is fired all bets are off. As law enforcement professionals I would think you would have to train for a scenario like this, exactly like this one, in order to prevent it in the future. This seems like a training exercise waiting to happen and I'm guessing it will become part of whatever training these guys get.
    If they showed up with the SWAT team and a helicopter not one shot would have been fired.

It’s just a bad idea to have out of uniform officers performing a no-knock warrant. It’s too easy for accidents to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    If they showed up with the SWAT team and a helicopter not one shot would have been fired.

It’s just a bad idea to have out of uniform officers performing a no-knock warrant. It’s too easy for accidents to happen.

Incredibly dangerous for all involved. This is the worst case scenario and it happened. Poor young woman. What a waste.

5. Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Those are your words. I’m not going to use this incident to eliminate no knowck warrants, I think there is a need for them.
    Yep. Sure are. And if you take the whole context of what was being said, instead of twisting it to suit your narrative, maybe you'd understand what was being said. But, again.....go ahead.

6. Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Incredibly dangerous for all involved. This is the worst case scenario and it happened. Poor young woman. What a waste.
    I agree. Just imagine if some of those stray shots that went into adjacent apartments had hit or possibly killed someone. All this and no drugs found.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Yep. Sure are. And if you take the whole context of what was being said, instead of twisting it to suit your narrative, maybe you'd understand what was being said. But, again.....go ahead.
    Nope sorry, you took this instance to apply it to the program as a whole,’which it seems you had a predisposition to already. Band didn’t do that, but you did. Own up to it.

8. Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

A SWAT team and a chopper? For this? C'mon. This isn't a hostage situation or an immediate threat to the area. All of this was totally unnecessary. Nobody had to die or be shot. Nobody.

9. Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Nope sorry, you took this instance to apply it to the program as a whole,’which it seems you had a predisposition to already. Band didn’t do that, but you did. Own up to it.
    I own up to anything. I clearly said it all was not needed. I stand behind anything I say. If you can't/won't comprehend what it being said, that's on you.

Blog Entries

Wow. This is pretty disturbing. I only read this one article. But based on what I read it seems a investigation and reevaluation of the no knock warrant is in order. If the police did not announce themselves IMO the guy was justified to shoot. But seriously, couldn't anyone break into your house and yell "POLICE!!!" so you disarm yourself? The system seems flawed.

I agree. Just imagine if some of those stray shots that went into adjacent apartments had hit or possibly killed someone. All this and no drugs found.
    Exactly! A pregnant woman and a 5-year-old was next door too!

I own up to anything. I clearly said it all was not needed. I stand behind anything I say. If you can't/won't comprehend what it being said, that's on you.
    “Should there be "no-knock" warrants? To me, almost exclusively, no. Yes, I know all the reasons why they have them and don't need to be reminded. It's bullshit.”
    Yep, you are against no knock warrants and used this particular instance to further that case