Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Breonna Taylor

Re: Breonna Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said something like "It's better that 99 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man go to jail" (or something along those lines). Using methods like this gets the bad guys, but it gets the good guys too.

If methods like this are going to continue to be used, I'm going to say they need more evidence.

That said, can we please stop saying shit like "systemic racism" and using one offs like this to try to prove it? (not directed at you blueridge)
    This is sort of off-topic, but why don't you think a black person should be suspicious of systemic racism after John Ehrlichman's statement, COINTELPRO and Bloombergs comments regarding stop and frisk policies? Again, I personally am not attributing this case to that, but why would you fault someone for thinking that with such a vast precedent for it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    This is sort of off-topic, but why don't you think a black person should be suspicious of systemic racism after John Ehrlichman's statement, COINTELPRO and Bloombergs comments regarding stop and frisk policies? Again, I personally am not attributing this case to that, but why would you fault someone for thinking that with such a vast precedent for it?
    The problem I have with saying things like "the system" is it's too large, too broad. I don't think every person in every aspect of government is racist.

Narrow it down for me, show me specific cases and I will be right there along side you fighting for change.

Like I said before, this is a case of systemic police brutality. By definition Police Brutality is a "civil rights violation where officers exercise undue or excessive force against a civilian." There was absolutely no reason for the judge to grant that type of use of force in this case. BlueMtn case above proves that. For me it doesn't matter if excessive use of force was at the "interaction level" or if it was granted by superiors. Police Brutality is Police Brutality.
    The police were shot before they opened fire. It was neither undue nor excessive.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    The police were shot before they opened fire. It was neither undue nor excessive.
    I believe you're missing the point that I and others are making. The grant given to the police to execute a no knock raid in plain clothes and without body cameras should have never happened in the first place!! Especially given the fact that she had no prior criminal history, no violent criminal history and she could've easily been arrested on her job as an EMT. You're blatantly ignoring all of this!

Nobody would say that the use of a baton or taser should be needed for a jaywalker, just like a no knock raid should not have been granted for Breonna Taylor.

And your also dismissing the fact that any sane man with a registered gun would also protect his family when 3 random men burst into his house.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I believe you're missing the point that I and others are making. The grant given to the police to execute a no knock raid in plain clothes and without body cameras should have never happened in the first place!! Especially given the fact that she had no prior criminal history, no violent criminal history and she could've easily been arrested on her job as an EMT. You're blatantly ignoring all of this!

Nobody would say that the use of a baton or taser should be needed for a jaywalker, just like a no knock raid should not have been granted for Breonna Taylor.

And your also dismissing the fact that any sane man with a registered gun would also protect his family when 3 random men burst into his house.

You're ignoring that the police have said they identified themselves, and only fired after they were fired up. The only witness aside from Walker that I know of who has said they didn't identify themselves is a neighbor who said she woke up at the sound of gun shots.

As for non-violent, she was caught up in a drug ring. I don't know how deep she was in it, but a known drug trafficker was using her home as a mailing address and she was aware of this fact. She wasn't being arrested, her house was being searched hence it being called a no-knock SEARCH warrant. What good would it do to talk to her while she was outside of her house?
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

You're ignoring that the police have said they identified themselves, and only fired after they were fired up. The only witness aside from Walker that I know of who has said they didn't identify themselves is a neighbor who said she woke up at the sound of gun shots.

As for non-violent, she was caught up in a drug ring. I don't know how deep she was in it, but a known drug trafficker was using her home as a mailing address and she was aware of this fact. She wasn't being arrested, her house was being searched hence it being called a no-knock SEARCH warrant. What good would it do to talk to her while she was outside of her house?
    Even so Darb, if someone is barging in my house in the middle of the night, I'm likely shooting no matter how they identify themselves.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...nock-warrants/

In my personal opinion this move proves that classifying her death as police brutality is justified. There were so many wrong moves that were allowed to happen from top-down that resulted in her death. I'm glad that common sense will be used from here on out, and I hope that they and the community work together to keep the police accountable.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...op/5211620002/

And if this suit is even half true, then that cop needed to be gone a long time ago.
    Last edited by bandc; 05-21-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Even so Darb, if someone is barging in my house in the middle of the night, I'm likely shooting no matter how they identify themselves.
    Then the police are going to shoot you, and if you don't die you'll be charged for attempting to murder an officer.

Everybody seems to be forgetting that the police were only there specifically because they had reasonable cause to suspect Breonna Taylor possessed evidence concerning a major drug bust. The main suspect was using her address. Police found mailing materials of Glover's in the apartment. The police were given the no-knock warrant because suspects in this case had destroyed evidence before when cops had a search warrant. This was slipshod case that was majorly botched.

If this had been some horrible mistake, I'd be angry about it. As it stands, the police followed procedure and showed up at the correct house to serve a legal search warrant. The door was not opened so they broke it down and were met with a gun being fired at them. We know they had enough time to get up and for Walker to grab his gun before the police busted in because he and Taylor were in the hallway, not the bedroom. Admittedly I haven't been through very many break-ins, but I'm assuming burglars don't typically pound on the door long enough to wake you up before breaking-and-entering.

Breonna Taylor shouldn't be dead. If her boyfriend had not at shot the police, she wouldn't be. If she had not assisted a known drug dealer, she wouldn't be. It's very likely she wouldn't have been arrested in this case, except for maybe accessory, and given her history the judge would have lightly slapped her on the wrist if a DA even attempted to charge her. I feel bad for her family, and especially for Walker. It sucks that the world lost a good EMT. Thing is though, it was her decisions that led the police to her door that night. That's why I don't blame the police.
    ProFootballMock

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna...nock-warrants/

In my personal opinion this move proves that classifying her death as police brutality is justified. There were so many wrong moves that were allowed to happen from top-down that resulted in her death. I'm glad that common sense will be used from here on out, and I hope that they and the community work together to keep the police accountable.
    So they will still be able to do no knock warrants, just with another level of sign off. They will still be allowed to be in plain clothes. They only real change is cameras, which have nothing to do with brutality in this case.

Blog Entries

Then the police are going to shoot you, and if you don't die you'll be charged for attempting to murder an officer.

Everybody seems to be forgetting that the police were only there specifically because they had reasonable cause to suspect Breonna Taylor possessed evidence concerning a major drug bust. The main suspect was using her address. Police found mailing materials of Glover's in the apartment. The police were given the no-knock warrant because suspects in this case had destroyed evidence before when cops had a search warrant. This was slipshod case that was majorly botched.

If this had been some horrible mistake, I'd be angry about it. As it stands, the police followed procedure and showed up at the correct house to serve a legal search warrant. The door was not opened so they broke it down and were met with a gun being fired at them. We know they had enough time to get up and for Walker to grab his gun before the police busted in because he and Taylor were in the hallway, not the bedroom. Admittedly I haven't been through very many break-ins, but I'm assuming burglars don't typically pound on the door long enough to wake you up before breaking-and-entering.

Breonna Taylor shouldn't be dead. If her boyfriend had not at shot the police, she wouldn't be. If she had not assisted a known drug dealer, she wouldn't be. It's very likely she wouldn't have been arrested in this case, except for maybe accessory, and given her history the judge would have lightly slapped her on the wrist if a DA even attempted to charge her. I feel bad for her family, and especially for Walker. It sucks that the world lost a good EMT. Thing is though, it was her decisions that led the police to her door that night. That's why I don't blame the police.
    That would be insane. First I have no reason for the cops to come to my house, so I would no reason to expect it to be the cops and thus would have reasonable fear for my life and well within my rights to defend my self.

Depending on all the facts of this case, that may be true here as well.

That would be insane. First I have no reason for the cops to come to my house, so I would no reason to expect it to be the cops and thus would have reasonable fear for my life and well within my rights to defend my self.

Depending on all the facts of this case, that may be true here as well.
    If the police have a warrant, you have to let them in. Doesn't matter if you expect them or not.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/ar...knocking-44696

If you don't consent to their entry, what the police need to enter and search your home without a warrant is: (1) probable cause and (2) exigent circumstances. The smell of marihuana, for example, is probable cause. But there must also be exigent circumstances before the police can enter without your consent and without a warrant. Most importantly, the exigent circumstances must be based on facts the police can articulate. There are three types of exigent circumstances:

• emergency aid: assisting someone inside the home whom police believe are in danger;
    • hot pursuit: chasing a fleeing suspect who runs into a home; or
    preventing destruction of evidence.
    ProFootballMock

Breonna's law has been passed unanimously in Kentucky. A small small step has been made. We just gotta keep our foot on the gas.

No more no knock break ins!