Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: The Boldin Catch

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Joe never had confidence in his receivers, besides SSR, the way he did the first half of his career.
    Agreed. Joe was daring because he was throwing to Q and prime-Pitta. Those guys were at least going to break it up, and probably come down with it. When Joe saw the back of a DB's helmet, he let it rip, because he could.

But there definitely was a lack of aggressiveness on the deep ball in the following years. Rewatching some of the 2012 games, he is letting it fly to Torrey and Jacoby, and completing a lot of them. Then, suddenly, he started underthrowing all his deep balls. (Like the year when Torrey had an absurd number of PIs.) It wasn't lack of arm strength. Not sure whether it was letting it go too late, or putting too much air under it, or what, but it's almost like he suddenly lost that ability to complete deep passes.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    it's almost like he suddenly lost that ability to complete deep passes.
    Sadly the stats bear that out.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

I also don't know how you can seriously say Kubiak ruined him when Flacco had his best season under him.
    False. Joe did not have his best season under Kubiak. In fact Joe's Kubiak season was below-average compared with the rest of his career.

Kubes took the deep ball out of Joe's game, made him a checkdown artist, and Joe's yards-per-attempt never recovered.

What was good about Kubiak's offense was its emphasis on the running game. It was good for the Ravens; an excellent fit for the way they want to build their teams, and a sound methodical way to move the ball. Big improvement over the chaos of the Caldwell/Castillo year, and definitely over the sawft Trestman / Marty M style.

But it was a bad fit for Joe. His game never recovered.

Agreed. Joe was daring because he was throwing to Q and prime-Pitta.
    Joe was daring when he was throwing to Mark Clayton and late-prime Todd Heap in 2008. He was daring when he was throwing to Marlon Brown in 2013.

But there definitely was a lack of aggressiveness on the deep ball in the following years.
    Yep. The pure WCO had Joe thinking too much, and hesitating to make sure. Nerfed him.

Certainly Kubiak's version was better than the Trestman / Marty M years. We at least had the strong running game; and that led to some easy reads for Joe and some nice play-action opportunities. It was a good offense for the team as a whole; great running and productive-enough passing. It just set Joe back a little.

The most overlooked throw/catch of the entire run was Flacco to Pitta in OT of the Denver game.

https://youtu.be/RpTlVbsrwPU?t=8849

We were backed up on our own 3 yard line at 3rd and 13. Anything but a 1st down is pretty much giving Denver the game. Likely having the ball punt returned to mid field at best or we go for it on 4th and likely turn it over on downs.

We end up getting a 1st down, get breathing room to flip field position and punt Denver deep in their own territory. Jimmy Smith makes a hell of a special teams tackle to make Holliday lose yardage and pin them even deeper. Graham then gets a pick and the rest is history.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Agreed. Joe was daring because he was throwing to Q and prime-Pitta. Those guys were at least going to break it up, and probably come down with it. When Joe saw the back of a DB's helmet, he let it rip, because he could.

But there definitely was a lack of aggressiveness on the deep ball in the following years. Rewatching some of the 2012 games, he is letting it fly to Torrey and Jacoby, and completing a lot of them. Then, suddenly, he started underthrowing all his deep balls. (Like the year when Torrey had an absurd number of PIs.) It wasn't lack of arm strength. Not sure whether it was letting it go too late, or putting too much air under it, or what, but it's almost like he suddenly lost that ability to complete deep passes.
    He went from one of the best deep passers in the league to one of the worst, just like that. The accuracy just went away.

Blog Entries

The most overlooked throw/catch of the entire run was Flacco to Pitta in OT of the Denver game.

https://youtu.be/RpTlVbsrwPU?t=8849

We were backed up on our own 3 yard line at 3rd and 13. Anything but a 1st down is pretty much giving Denver the game. Likely having the ball punt returned to mid field at best or we go for it on 4th and likely turn it over on downs.

We end up getting a 1st down, get breathing room to flip field position and punt Denver deep in their own territory. Jimmy Smith makes a hell of a special teams tackle to make Holliday lose yardage and pin them even deeper. Graham then gets a pick and the rest is history.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I don't think it would have helped all that much. Lots of things went wrong that seaosn – OL got rocked with injuries.
    We missed the playoffs by a game. Boldin would have made a difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    so maybe if we ever build a time machine we go back and convince Ozzie to keep Boldin
    Well I mean it made no sense to take a guy, who’d just had that playoff run, WHOSE SALARY WAS LESS THAN NINE MILLION FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON, and ask him to TAKE A TWO MILLION DOLLAR PAYCUT. And then, trade him to Harbaugh’s brother for a sixth and tell us that DOSS will replace him? And Pitta will pick up the slack too? That right there told you all you needed to know about how they viewed the offense, compared to the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well I mean it made no sense to take a guy, who’d just had that playoff run, WHOSE SALARY WAS LESS THAN NINE MILLION FOR THE UPCOMING SEASON, and ask him to TAKE A TWO MILLION DOLLAR PAYCUT. And then, trade him to Harbaugh’s brother for a sixth and tell us that DOSS will replace him? And Pitta will pick up the slack too? That right there told you all you needed to know about how they viewed the offense, compared to the defense.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Well, I mean they could have at least drafted DeAndre Hopkins or something. I could have gotten behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, I mean they could have at least drafted DeAndre Hopkins or something. I could have gotten behind that.
    Or Tee Higgins