Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: This is a seriously good team.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by struggle. Do you think the Ravens will be bad?

Lamar almost certainly won't be as good as his unanimous MVP season, we won't break the rushing record again and the Ravens are unlikely to be as injury free as last year, but the team still has a chance to be better.

The defense has could well be better and we'll still be a good running team but the real chance to improve lies in Roman's willingness to take advantage of the opportunities Lamar and the running game gives us in the passing game. We didn't do enough straight play action, screens, bootlegs, long hand-offs/YAC passes, RPOs - we didn't do enough of anything frankly and we left so much meat on the bone last season.

I'm not expecting Roman to become a genius designer of passing plays. He can just steal a few ideas from Reid, Payton, Shanahan etc and fit them into our dominant running game. Imagine the potential.

No Roman offense has ever taken sufficient advantage of its passing potential but he's never had a QB with the intelligence and understanding of the game that Lamar has. The lack of practice time might hurt our chances of really transforming the passing game but if we can add a few more strings to our bow the offense might really become undefendable. I just hope it's not a philosophical block that's stifling the chance for a really creative passing game (ie. Roman just doesn't want to pass much).
    "we won't break the rushing record again"

If the Ravens want to break the rushing record again, they will.

Last year, the Ravens didn't have more than 2 run options on the field at the same time.

In college, teams have up to 4. Teams in college have won games without completing a pass.

The Ravens have Lamar, the magical jewel of a running QB.

Last year it was 1) Lamar the magical jewel and 2) the running back. A very good one, whether it was Ingram or Edwards, but there was just one of them on the field. Ricard would be on the field, but not to carry the ball, just to block.

If the Ravens wanted to run over and over again, they could add 3) Ricard running the ball. It remains to be seen how effective he would be, but it'd guess that it might be hard for today's 230 pound pass coverage MLBs to tackle a 300 pound FB. In the preseason, Ricard did carry the ball in short yardage situations. The Ravens could simply add Ricard to the mix.
    And 4) add either another RB, or a WR, for outside runs. Last year, there were a small handful of outside, WR type runs and/or trick plays. 2 carries, Willie Snead. 2 carries Anthony Levine. 1 carry Chris Moore. 1 carry Trace McSorley. 1 carry DeAnthony Thomas.

There was this play - 2019-11-10 Ravens Bengals 2 11:49 2 4 RAV 45 3-14 Lamar Jackson right end for 3 yards, lateral to Robert Griffin for 9 yards

Last year, the Ravens went without the Fullback running between the tackles, and the Ravens went without the WR/RB running the jet sweep type play. Hollywood Brown has the speed, but I personally would be nervous about having his do that, if he weighs less than 160 pounds. But the Ravens added Duvernay who ran some in college and ran a lot in high school averaging over 10 yards a carry in high school. Maybe, almost as fast as Hollywood, but plenty fast, and solidly built for outside running, 5104 200. And Dobbins adds some additional potency to the run game. If he can be split out wide, he can be a WR/RB/LH or RH. Back in the day it was QB FB LH RH, and then it became QB FB RB Flanker back. But someone like Dobbins could be in the backfield or split out a bit. If the Ravens want more carries, and at the same time have Lamar run less, that would be easy to do by putting more run threats in the backfield.

Re: This is a seriously good team.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    If the Ravens want more carries, and at the same time have Lamar run less, that would be easy to do by putting more run threats in the backfield.
    I suppose it's possible but San Fransisco had additional running threats in the backfield in Juszczyk, Deebo, Kittle and didn't break the record because they didn't have the threat of Lamar. We'd probably need to run Lamar more to break it.

Then there's the fact that everything exceptional tends to shrink back towards average a bit.

I think this team without a doubt goes as Lamar goes...

The thing I look back on is Lamar's recent history.
    Start just with him at Louisville and come forward.
    His comes in to replace the starter midseason and shows he can run...
    Then the next season, he takes a quantum leap and blows away the competition and wins the Heisman.
    Then, the following year with so many of his offensive playmates graduated, he STILL manages to repeat his numbers, but is not even in the Heisman competition due to the team's record.

He joins the Ravens, and replaces the starter midseason and shows he can run...
    Then last season, he repeats (his history) his stellar Heisman season with an MVP season in the NFL.
    Now, this coming season, he should be even better...except this time, he still has all his guys and then some.
    What is coming has not been seen since his supporting cast is back and probably stronger, at least on paper.
    Plus he knows the playbook now, and things are going to start slowing down for him...which should be scary for opposing teams. A player plays his best when he is just reacting and not thinking...Lamar is not there yet, but is on his way.

I think he is going to raise his play yet again, but with the help of his surrounding talent, he just might threaten to have that first 4K passing and 1K rushing season, especially if he plays in all 16 games.
    His surrounding cast and his arm will require stretching the field in all directions.
    He might have the horses to do that.
    That is when this offense becomes undefendable.

I'm expecting the defense to get better every week, too, and be one of the best units by season's end, which bodes well for their playoff chances.
    So yes, this Ravens' team definitely has that great potential.
    “They gonna get a Super Bowl outta me. Believe that…Believe that”, Lamar, after being drafted by the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    If LJ regresses at all, we are going to struggle.
    So if our QB goes 30/10 instead of 36/6, and only rushes for 1,000 yards instead of 1,200, they'll "struggle"? Seriously? There are at least 28 other teams that would donate kidneys to get that kind of production.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Thumbs up Re: This is a seriously good team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    I think this team without a doubt goes as Lamar goes...

The thing I look back on is Lamar's recent history.
    Start just with him at Louisville and come forward.
    His comes in to replace the starter midseason and shows he can run...
    Then the next season, he takes a quantum leap and blows away the competition and wins the Heisman.
    Then, the following year with so many of his offensive playmates graduated, he STILL manages to repeat his numbers, but is not even in the Heisman competition due to the team's record.

He joins the Ravens, and replaces the starter midseason and shows he can run...
    Then last season, he repeats (his history) his stellar Heisman season with an MVP season in the NFL.
    Now, this coming season, he should be even better...except this time, he still has all his guys and then some.
    What is coming has not been seen since his supporting cast is back and probably stronger, at least on paper.
    Plus he knows the playbook now, and things are going to start slowing down for him...which should be scary for opposing teams. A player plays his best when he is just reacting and not thinking...Lamar is not there yet, but is on his way.

I think he is going to raise his play yet again, but with the help of his surrounding talent, he just might threaten to have that first 4K passing and 1K rushing season, especially if he plays in all 16 games.
    His surrounding cast and his arm will require stretching the field in all directions.
    He might have the horses to do that.
    That is when this offense becomes undefendable.

I'm expecting the defense to get better every week, too, and be one of the best units by season's end, which bodes well for their playoff chances.
    So yes, this Ravens' team definitely has that great potential.

6. Re: This is a seriously good team.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Without doubt this is a playoff team. Question is "will they win a playoff game?" ... Bc
    They should start figuring out now how to avoid losing playoff games. Run more. Be conservative. Take fewer risks. Be more confident that run first will win in the end. If Lamar has 2 weeks off, he might be a little rusty. Run Ricard up the middle 3 times and then punt if necessary. It won't take long for the defense to be worn down by tackling Ricard over and over again. You can't go in with the idea that if luck isn't on your side, you're going to lose. The Ravens should be the better team, the Ravens should have the premiere running offense, and that premiere running offense should be enough to get the win. Sometimes it seemed like the Ravens thought that it was the risk taking in the context of the running that got them the wins, when it was really simply the dominant running that got it done. If you look at the play by play from the playoff loss, it was the appearance of nervousness, the desire to get back in front immediately, the lack of confidence that superiority over 60 minutes would get it done.

Ravens Drives

# Quar Time LOS Plays Len Yds Result
    1 1 11:42 RAV 20 7 3:53 44 Interception (short field Titans 7)
    2 1 3:36 RAV 25 6 3:43 20 Downs (short field Titans 7)
    3 2 14:45 RAV 26 3 1:12 2 Punt
    4 2 11:13 RAV 10 12 5:21 59 Field Goal
    5 2 2:32 RAV 5 14 2:32 91 Field Goal

6 3 15:00 RAV 24 13 5:05 58 Downs (Ravens lose 3)
    7 3 6:54 RAV 25 1 0:10 -5 Fumble (short field Titans 7)
    8 3 4:16 RAV 25 8 2:31 44 Interception
    9 4 14:49 RAV 12 10 3:45 88 Touchdown
    10 4 6:25 RAV 20 10 1:58 64 Downs (Ravens lose 3)
    11 4 2:45 RAV 24 10 1:56 55 Downs (Ravens lose 3)

The general rule for 4th downs - in the playoffs - should be (if we aren't talking 4th Q) - on your side of the field - punt. If you're in FG range - kick the FG. Go for it if you're not in FG range and you're on their side of the field. If the other team might be better (not the Titans), loosen those rules, but the Ravens should be the better team next year. The Ravens gave the Titans a short field by going for it instead of punting, they got 7. The Ravens failed on 4th instead of FG 3 times. 9 points. If they had followed those rules, 21 to 21. Or 22 to 21, if they had kicked the extra point.

That leaves aside the 3 turnovers on pass plays, which I think are unnecessarily risky when you're the best running team in NFL history. 2 short field TDs by the Titans based off those pass game TOs. Without those 2 Titans TDs based off of those 2 short field pass game TOs, Ravens 22, Titans 7.

to sum up, when you're better, and the Ravens should be great
    1) don't give them the ball on your side of the field, make them work for points
    2) take the points when you can get them
    the Ravens would have won if they did either one of those things (basically).

Specifically, more running, punting and field goals. When you have 3 or 4 run threats on the field at the same time, it's more difficult for them to stop your run game by stopping one of your 2 run threats. 9 carries by the running backs, or non-QBs? No. Not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Roller View Post
    So many of our guys had career years...
    Who?

I don’t think people realize how much losing Yanda hurts this team

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I think last year's team was the best in team history.
    Not on defense. I think any of us could rattle off 5+ Ravens teams with better Ds than last year's squad; maybe 10 with some argument.

Also last year's team was one of the worst spec-teams units in the Harbs era. Our coverage units regularly got holes punched in them.

I suspect last year's O-line doesn't crack our five best O-lines. Certainly the two SB OLs were very strong. The '14 OL played very well in Kubiak's system.

— I dunno, I might be reaching too hard here to trash a line with Pro-Bowl bookends and Yanda. But we've lost consecutive home playoff games due in part to failing to control the iOL. Many of our previous OLs have had stronger "weakest links" I think, even if the talent at the top-end wasn't as impressive. I've never tried "weakest link" analysis before, but my gut is that it's an important angle to look at an OL from.

Of course last year's offense was the best in team history. Only competition is the '96 Vinny air show, and the 2011-12 teams that eventually won a QB. But that's only half the team. Or 5/8ths, or whatever percentage we think is appropriate.

Blog Entries

They are a strong team but it's still the Lamar show. For all the talent they've got, if the unspeakable happens and they lost Lamar to injury in September, they're not winning more than 5-6 games. This is not unlike most/all teams with top QBs though.

If everything goes right as it did last year, no major injuries, ball bounces our way, we should have another 13-14 win season and it could be considered our best team. Odds are against having that same luck again though, so some regression may happen but they'll likely be better off for it (a la Chiefs last year).
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

here's something i think not enough people are considering: when a player makes a big leap from year 1 to year 2, there's as much reason to believe he'll improve in year 3 as there is that he will stay the same year 3 or regress year 3. i think because people couldn't imagine the amount he would improve last offseason, they're almost certain he can't have another huge leap, but right now he is as unknown as any returning player in the NFL. i'm not saying he will for certain have a better year, and teams have had a year offseason to figure out how to crack the code in beating him, but until we see a year or two where he remains at the same level, we just don't know what his ceiling is. he could very well blow 2019 LJ away. gonna be hard to beat those stats, but throws, decisions, reading the D, passing outside the numbers, finding the best target when 2+ are open, these are all things that could be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    They are a strong team but it's still the Lamar show. For all the talent they've got, if the unspeakable happens and they lost Lamar to injury in September, they're not winning more than 5-6 games. This is not unlike most/all teams with top QBs though.
    i think you're grossly underestimating this defense. even with RG3 i think this team could go 8-8 or 9-7 given our division and schedule.