Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Hollywood played last season at 157

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Lamar Jackson breaks the 4000/1000 yard barrier?
    Would love to see that.

But -- is it even possible? I feel like, if he's throwing enough to get 4k, then he's not rushing enough to get a thousand. (And that would be fine.)

You won't catch me betting against him, though.

I said this in the other thread, the human specimen that LJ is he can lose that weight and put it on mulitple times before the season starts. The neck will reyturn for the 2020 season.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Would love to see that.

But -- is it even possible? I feel like, if he's throwing enough to get 4k, then he's not rushing enough to get a thousand. (And that would be fine.)

You won't catch me betting against him, though.
    I think it is possible. Last year he sat out roughly 2 games worth of PT. Since we should expect some regression to the mean in terms of blowing teams out, he's more likely to get 16 games of PT this season. If he would've had that last season, he would've had 3,571 pass yards, and 1,378 rush yards. If he's running a little less, and passing a little more, he could easily get an extra 30 pass yards per game without losing 24 rush yards a game.

A full season of PT, continued improvement as a passer, and improved receiving weapons will go a long way towards helping him get to 4k & 1k.

Good read , nice fluff piece

I've come around to believing the majority of the time, when it comes to offensive skill positions, good players show what they can bring pretty quickly when they are given chances on the field, no excuses. If Hollywood didn't show us anything, we would have been spouting, he was injured, he's recovering, he's a rookie, he needs time to develop, he will show he belongs this year. Hollywood didn't even give us the opportunity for debate. Despite all the above factors, he showed us all he's a talented play maker at his position. On the other end of the spectrum we have Boykin who was fully healthy, who I believe the Ravens wanted to work more into the offense, but he did little with the opportunities he was given, so he got relegated to mostly a downfield blocker when on the field. Now we are arguing whether he will show what he has this year.

I kind of went off on a tangent to say that Hollywood is a play maker through and through

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    Since we should expect some regression to the mean in terms of blowing teams out...
    That is a completely reasonable expectation from a statistical standpoint. Outliers tend to return to the pack. We had pretty good injury luck in '19, including on the O-line. Our opponents will have devoted an offseason to prepping for the novel challenges we posed last year.

But man, I dunno. Our D figures to be much improved. Our QB was 22 yrs old and in his first season as a starter. Our two most efficient WRs (by Y/T) were rookies. We added a speedy slot weapon and more depth-beef at iOL, and a potentially dominant RB.

Some regression to the mean is the most reasonable expectation. But it's not the expectation I actually have....

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    On the other end of the spectrum we have Boykin who was fully healthy, who I believe the Ravens wanted to work more into the offense, but he did little with the opportunities he was given...
    Did he?

The most obvious measure of "opportunities" for a WR, is targets. Boykin had more yards-per-targ than any other player on the Ravens roster.

I kind of went off on a tangent to say that Hollywood is a play maker through and through
    I nitpicked at one little element of your post, but I completely agree wiht your main point.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Did he?

The most obvious measure of "opportunities" for a WR, is targets. Boykin had more yards-per-targ than any other player on the Ravens roster.
    It's possible I'm being a little too critical on Boykin. Just going off some of his plays from last year, he seemed to have a small case of the dropsies if the ball wasn't placed right on him. He didn't seem comfortable as a receiver. Maybe he will develop into a legit number 2 guy. I will have to go back and watch some film on him. I know he was getting so much hype with him being compared to Michael Thomas by some people, so that might have something to do with it as well.

It's possible I'm being a little too critical on Boykin. Just going off some of his plays from last year, he seemed to have a small case of the dropsies if the ball wasn't placed right on him. He didn't seem comfortable as a receiver. Maybe he will develop into a legit number 2 guy. I will have to go back and watch some film on him. I know he was getting so much hype with him being compared to Michael Thomas by some people, so that might have something to do with it as well.
    I remember comparisons to AJ Green lol

Boykin looked like he was thinking a lot last year. Natural given how few high-level reps he had in college. Hopefully the game slows down for him a bit this season. If it does he could be in for a major breakout.

Blog Entries

Here's my 2 cents on Boykin-

Miles-

-great skillset potential to be an outside WR in the same usage aspects as DK Metcalf, could become a complete WR if he can up his route running

-despite having good hands in college, had some inopportune in game drops early in the season

-too often looked like he lacked 'juice', often times it looked like he was thinking and not out there just being an athlete

Scheme:

-did not receive any scheme aided assistance the way Hollywood did

-the team clearly made a concerted effort to scheme plays for Hollywood (for example I think Hollywood was the only WR they they called screen passes for)

-Boykin was almost always an outside WR either X or Z (usually at X) where he faced the opposing team best CB and was usually on the line of scrimmage where he would have potentially win against press coverage unlike Hollywood who played a lot at slot or Z, off the line of scrimmage where he usually got a free release

-didn't have the same chemistry w/ Lamar and the Roman that Andrews and Hollywood had. Lamar was clearly more comfortable throwing to other receivers and Roman didn't call many routes

The Ravens aren't going to gift him targets just because Roberts and Hurst are gone. Miles has the upper hand but I think he's going to need to have a strong camp have to fend off Duvernay.

Nice write up

I will have to go back and watch some film on him.
    Edgar Allen did a rookie rundown on Boykin, worth watching:

Balanced.