Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Ahhhh....Gotta Love Woke Culture in Business

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    And it's already been repeatedly proven that implicit bias is simply too flawed of a concept to be of any use to anybody. Sorry you have to waste your time.
    Ehh, I just put it on mute and did something else for 20 min. I had to laugh at some of the stories though. One was this attractive Asian girl who claimed that she was a victim of implicit bias because she was a software programmer and she couldn't get a job because no one believed that she was a coder because of how she looked. This is complete and utter horse shit because when you apply for those types of jobs, part of the screening process is to actually produce code or something that you've written and THAT is primarily what determines if you get the job or not. Oh yea...most coders I know would be tripping over themselves to hang out with a hot Asian girl coder. It's like a girl drummer - immediately elevated attractiveness.

I agree, the tests are a huge waste of time. Someone can take the test 3 different times and get 3 different results. It's incredibly flawed...mostly because it is predicated on bullshit. At least, that's my estimated reasoning.

What I will say is that I agree in principle that everyone has bias. I also will agree that many of our biases and prejudices are unconscious, or innate. I think we are all inherently racist to a certain degree. We are animals after all and it is a common occurrence in nature to feel more comfortable or safe around your "tribe". This doesn't make someone a bad person.

Where I think it becomes problematic is if you choose to action something based on your prejudice/bias/racism.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    After being inoculated where does one go to get the antidote?

Anyone have stories of people who resist, mock, or otherwise make difficult the task of the cultural reprogrammers?
    I just tune them out. It's all PC bullshit anyway. It doesn't mean anything. I think too many companies are moving to this idea of forced diversity. Like taking someone that isn't as talented and putting them with an ultra productive, highly talented team and expecting them to all gel...it's probably not going to happen.

When it comes to hiring talent for a job, the only aspect that matters is talent. If the person is talented and good at what they do, then they should get the job. Hire for talent. Don't hire for sexual orientation, or gender, or race, or whatever. I'm in cyber security and I work with A LOT of different people. I dont care if someone I'm working with is a poster child for an Abercrombie & Fitch catalogue or if they have pink hair, nose rings, and refer to themselves as GenderQueerWhatever. If they're good at their job, then I want to work with them.

I feel like if you go through life with that mentality, you'll be ok.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 05-06-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    What I will say is that I agree in principle that everyone has bias. I also will agree that many of our biases and prejudices are unconscious, or innate. I think we are all inherently racist to a certain degree. We are animals after all and it is a common occurrence in nature to feel more comfortable or safe around your "tribe". This doesn't make someone a bad person.

Where I think it becomes problematic is if you choose to action something based on your prejudice/bias/racism.
    This is completely true. I have matured in this area to spot my biases when they pop up and deal with them. And I also know there are some I may not recognize quickly. But this kind of "training" is of little to no value.

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    After being inoculated where does one go to get the antidote?

Anyone have stories of people who resist, mock, or otherwise make difficult the task of the cultural reprogrammers?
    We live in a litigious society where currently large groups of people seem to exist just to find and mine grievances. Our current social media environment things can go viral/blow up fast. If I owned a business it would be something I would worry about and want to try to inoculate myself from. It's just part of the cost of doing business these days.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Ehh, I just put it on mute and did something else for 20 min. I had to laugh at some of the stories though. One was this attractive Asian girl who claimed that she was a victim of implicit bias because she was a software programmer and she couldn't get a job because no one believed that she was a coder because of how she looked. This is complete and utter horse shit because when you apply for those types of jobs, part of the screening process is to actually produce code or something that you've written and THAT is primarily what determines if you get the job or not. Oh yea...most coders I know would be tripping over themselves to hang out with a hot Asian girl coder. It's like a girl drummer - immediately elevated attractiveness.

I agree, the tests are a huge waste of time. Someone can take the test 3 different times and get 3 different results. It's incredibly flawed...mostly because it is predicated on bullshit. At least, that's my estimated reasoning.

I get these training assignments all the time for work. They are ridiculous and if you have half a brain cell you can guess the right answer on the chapter quizzes. Ours you can turn off the audio/video and choose the text only option. I kept getting warnings that I was hitting "next" to quickly and I should spend more time on the page.

I had to take an "unconcious bias" seminar for my last job.

I'll never forget it.

One of the examples they used was a white woman telling a story of how her husband had to deal with unconscious bias all the time. So, she was married to a hispanic man and they lived in an upscale California neighborhood. The husband was really into his yard and spent a lot of time out there during the spring, summer, and fall months. I remember them flashing a picture on the screen of the husband working in his garden. He was literally wearing a white shirt, khaki pants, kneepads, a landscaping hat, sunglasses, etc. The lady said that in the neighborhood they lived in, there were always hispanic landscapers working in everyone's yards all the time. The story was clearly being setup to show some obvious bigoted action that was going to happen. I was waiting for it and then I realized that the actual "moral infraction" was that her hispanic husband...decked out in a typical landscaping uniform...while working in the yard...in a neighborhood where hispanic landscapers are always working...was regularly mistaken for a landscaper because people in the neighborhood who would be walking by would ask him how much he charged for his service. The wife in the video acted so flabbergasted that something like this would happen in America. Lol.

I was holding in my laughter as best I could, but I managed to look around the room while this was going on and I saw a few faces of outrage and a lot of eye rolling.

Clearly, these are very serious problems that we need to pay people to come tell us about

Blog Entries

I've got a friend of mine who sells these courses. What's funny is he is probably the least PC person you'll ever meet.

Like seriously. Imagine a combination of Triple H and Marv from home alone who hates everyone, selling Implicit Bias training.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I've got a friend of mine who sells these courses. What's funny is he is probably the least PC person you'll ever meet.

Like seriously. Imagine a combination of Triple H and Marv from home alone who hates everyone, selling Implicit Bias training.
    The way you painted that picture of your friend is amazing. Bravo.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

If we're stupid enough to allow the Democrats to run this country, this nonsense will increase exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

If you ever want inappropriate, nsfw jokes, memes, videos, etc....check with HR.