Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutters

Re: Cord Cutters

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I got the antenna from Radio Shack years back. It's mounted in my attic so it doesn't get anything except Baltimore stations (I am in Westminster). If it were on the roof I could probably get Harrisburg and DC. It's pointed at Baltimore also. I have amplifiers in the line because the line from the antenna to some of the TVs is quite long. I also have a filter right off the antenna to block extra signals (I forgot exactly its purpose as I rigged it up a while ago).

The Chosen is well worth it.
    Guessing fm filter is its old. Maybe an lte filter is its not too old.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I want to pull the trigger on a Tablo Quad and an antennae today. I just don't know if I want to mount one in the attic or do the flat one on the wall.

If I did the attic one I'd do the remote control so I could pivot towards Baltimore. Right now DC stations are due south and Baltimore is northeast from my house.
    May be worth getting a professional to see if you could get an antenna that can pick up from both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Definitely go attic mount. Another option if you want to pick-up stations in opposite directions is to mount 2 back to back, and then have them connect with a splitter.

I found tvfool.com to be invaluable when I cut the cord, but generally speaking, the higher the antenna and the bigger the antenna, the happier you will be with your results, assuming you don’t need to run your coax a super long way. For example, an attic mount conn connected to a tv in your basement is not going to be as a good as an attic mount connected to a tv on your second floor.

I went through about a half a dozen options until I settled on GE attic mount #33692. I live south east of Lancaster and pickup all the Harrisburg and York stations, some of which are 40 miles away. If I mounted another one pointed at Philly, I could pick up those stations as well, but I really don’t need 2 NBCs, ABCs, etc.
    This is why I liked the hdhomerun. Cut a hole in the ceiling of my wife's closet to run the cable from the attic, so it's got the shortest run, then all the tvs get it over the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    So when we initially got setup, you couldn't use the hdhomerun directly with roku because roku does not have the codecs for Ota TV. If you have it running through a plex server you can though

That sounds interesting but I don't have a dedicated computer to run a plex server.

That sounds interesting but I don't have a dedicated computer to run a plex server.
    Based on more research, if you do go with a dedicated plex box you get the best quality video. I have been exploring ways to obtain a cheap little desktop running some flavor of Windows. I have a mame cabinet in the basement running a mame cabinet but that thing is too primitive. I was thinking an Ebay or Dell refurbished small CPU and throw another hard drive in it.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

My lower attic access it a tiny panel in the roof of my hall closet and to get into it I have to remove everything from the shelves and take them out. Total pain in the ass. There's a nice space up there. I was thinking if I go up there I could just point one at DC and one at B-more but a better antennae can always be added. I think I may just get the wall mount to save bucks and hassle and see how it works. I have a cat 5 cable pulled from that area to the router in my office already left over from my old Tivo days so I should be good. I loved my Tivo but when Verizon started offering a DVR it was like why? Time to move on to the next "thing". Not missing cable at all right now.
    Install attic stairs. One of the first things I did when we bought our house in 2002. It isn't that hard.

Guessing fm filter is its old. Maybe an lte filter is its not too old.

FM filter now that you mention it.

This is why I liked the hdhomerun. Cut a hole in the ceiling of my wife's closet to run the cable from the attic, so it's got the shortest run, then all the tvs get it over the network.

Tablo could do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Install attic stairs. One of the first things I did when we bought our house in 2002. It isn't that hard.
    I live in a split level. Attic access to the upper roof is a piece of cake. On the lower level I'd have to put an access panel in the kitchen, dining room, living room or main entrance hall. There is no elegant place to put them on first floor for that space thus the hall closet access. One of my neighbors has a little access door in his garage to that space. I could probably do something like that but that's more involved than framing attic stairs.

I think I'm going to buy a cheap CPU with built in graphics capabilities i.e. intel QuickSync and go with Plex and HD Homerun. Apparently the picture quality is superior with that solution.

So I think I've settled on that solution with a media server to to the transcoding and DVR recording with the HDHomerun quad tuner and Plex software holding it all together.

I don't either. The shield TV runs it

Based on more research, if you do go with a dedicated plex box you get the best quality video. I have been exploring ways to obtain a cheap little desktop running some flavor of Windows. I have a mame cabinet in the basement running a mame cabinet but that thing is too primitive. I was thinking an Ebay or Dell refurbished small CPU and throw another hard drive in it.
    Mame cabinet?