Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutters

Re: Cord Cutters

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I got the antenna from Radio Shack years back. It's mounted in my attic so it doesn't get anything except Baltimore stations (I am in Westminster). If it were on the roof I could probably get Harrisburg and DC. It's pointed at Baltimore also. I have amplifiers in the line because the line from the antenna to some of the TVs is quite long. I also have a filter right off the antenna to block extra signals (I forgot exactly its purpose as I rigged it up a while ago).

The Chosen is well worth it.
    Is it motorized? Is it one of those ones that looks like a Ray Gun?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Now that Dish Network offers mobile live NFL games through a web browser, mobile device, laptop, etc. I'm much more inclined to look into this.

Losing out on watching the Ravens is what has really held me back.
    That was the trickiest part for me, as Sling doesn't offer CBS (only FOX and NBC, no ABC either), and I'm too far south to pick up WJZ or WUSA via antenna.

I ended up getting CBS All Access since I am local to MD. I use the app for it on Xbox One but you can also watch via browser, etc. It would work for you too I would imagine. It's $7 a month and you get the live CBS football in season. I sub during the season and cancel after the last CBS game.

I think there was a thread about this on the main forum and someone said there YouTube TV includes CBS too.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I want to pull the trigger on a Tablo Quad and an antennae today. I just don't know if I want to mount one in the attic or do the flat one on the wall.

If I did the attic one I'd do the remote control so I could pivot towards Baltimore. Right now DC stations are due south and Baltimore is northeast from my house.

4. Re: Cord Cutters

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I want to pull the trigger on a Tablo Quad and an antennae today. I just don't know if I want to mount one in the attic or do the flat one on the wall.

If I did the attic one I'd do the remote control so I could pivot towards Baltimore. Right now DC stations are due south and Baltimore is northeast from my house.
    Definitely go attic mount. Another option if you want to pick-up stations in opposite directions is to mount 2 back to back, and then have them connect with a splitter.

I found tvfool.com to be invaluable when I cut the cord, but generally speaking, the higher the antenna and the bigger the antenna, the happier you will be with your results, assuming you don’t need to run your coax a super long way. For example, an attic mount conn connected to a tv in your basement is not going to be as a good as an attic mount connected to a tv on your second floor.

I went through about a half a dozen options until I settled on GE attic mount #33692. I live south east of Lancaster and pickup all the Harrisburg and York stations, some of which are 40 miles away. If I mounted another one pointed at Philly, I could pick up those stations as well, but I really don’t need 2 NBCs, ABCs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    Definitely go attic mount. Another option if you want to pick-up stations in opposite directions is to mount 2 back to back, and then have them connect with a splitter.

I found tvfool.com to be invaluable when I cut the cord, but generally speaking, the higher the antenna and the bigger the antenna, the happier you will be with your results, assuming you don’t need to run your coax a super long way. For example, an attic mount conn connected to a tv in your basement is not going to be as a good as an attic mount connected to a tv on your second floor.

I went through about a half a dozen options until I settled on GE attic mount #33692. I live south east of Lancaster and pickup all the Harrisburg and York stations, some of which are 40 miles away. If I mounted another one pointed at Philly, I could pick up those stations as well, but I really don’t need 2 NBCs, ABCs, etc.
    I think I have my solution then. I may put that model up in the attic for Baltimore and just get a wall mount for the DC channels. In my area they should come in no problem with a garden variety wall mount/flat antennae.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I'd get good information here.

6. Re: Cord Cutters

I think I have my solution then. I may put that model up in the attic for Baltimore and just get a wall mount for the DC channels. In my area they should come in no problem with a garden variety wall mount/flat antennae.

Thanks for the tip. I knew I'd get good information here.
    Use the mounting hardware that comes with it, and get it as high as it will go without touching the roof decking. I used a compass app to really get it pointed to the sweet spot.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Is it motorized? Is it one of those ones that looks like a Ray Gun?
    No, I just took a compass into the attic when I set it up and pointed it in the direction advised by a website I don't recall right now. There are websites to help you figure out the direction like https://www.antennaweb.org/results.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Go for the wall mount and give it a try. If it doesn't work you should be able to return it. I went for the 2 channel instead of the Quad and on rare occasions, I haven't been able to watch live TV over the Tablo (it has pause and rewind features for live TV) because the two tuners were recording.

I didn't go motorized because with the size of the antenna and space in the attic it wouldn't be able to turn.

My lower attic access it a tiny panel in the roof of my hall closet and to get into it I have to remove everything from the shelves and take them out. Total pain in the ass. There's a nice space up there. I was thinking if I go up there I could just point one at DC and one at B-more but a better antennae can always be added. I think I may just get the wall mount to save bucks and hassle and see how it works. I have a cat 5 cable pulled from that area to the router in my office already left over from my old Tivo days so I should be good. I loved my Tivo but when Verizon started offering a DVR it was like why? Time to move on to the next "thing". Not missing cable at all right now.

We have a Roku upstairs and in the basement. The other TVs are smart TVs. I hear FireTV doesn't play with Roku devices. Amazon does not charge for channel information though which is nice. The recurring fees are something I want to avoid..
    So for my dvr, I use plex so it was like 100 for lifetime dvr data

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have a space in my lower level above my living room where I can mount a nice directional antennae. I was thinking about getting something like that although it's probably overkill.

I am intrigued and excited about setting up new infrastructure for free TV and DVR. My god in Montgomery County I'm sure there will be a ton of free programming available. With a good antenae I can probably get Baltimore stations too which would allow me to watch the Ravens every week. That's my main reason for getting a big honking antennae and mounting it in my lower attic.
    Almost certainly. We have a small mohu attic antenna and can pick up DC stations from Pasadena most of the time.

I think with the proliferation of Smart TVs most people have Amazon Prime and Netflix at the very least right now. Like you, we have Hulu in addition to those other two. For me it's just missing sports. I would get an Amazon Recast if it were not for the fact I would need a firestick on all my TVs because they don't seem to play with anyone else which sucks. I'll probably go with a Tablo or HD Home run or similar device. I want to leverage my existing smart devices and Rokus. I don't want to pay for a channel guide, which you don't with Amazon, but am willing to pay 35 bucks a year or so.
    So when we initially got setup, you couldn't use the hdhomerun directly with roku because roku does not have the codecs for Ota TV. If you have it running through a plex server you can though