Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutters

Re: Cord Cutters

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The easiest thing to do is get an antenna with good range. Then get a firetv with a few apps and show them the voice search feature. Between the antenna getting them all the local news and the what comes with Prime/firetv that’s probably be enough
    Amazon also makes a fire TV dvr that you can hook to an antenna

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Amazon also makes a fire TV dvr that you can hook to an antenna

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    We have a Roku upstairs and in the basement. The other TVs are smart TVs. I hear FireTV doesn't play with Roku devices. Amazon does not charge for channel information though which is nice. The recurring fees are something I want to avoid..

I have a space in my lower level above my living room where I can mount a nice directional antennae. I was thinking about getting something like that although it's probably overkill.

I am intrigued and excited about setting up new infrastructure for free TV and DVR. My god in Montgomery County I'm sure there will be a ton of free programming available. With a good antenae I can probably get Baltimore stations too which would allow me to watch the Ravens every week. That's my main reason for getting a big honking antennae and mounting it in my lower attic.

We moved last September and thought that would be a great time to cut the cord. We kept internet to the house but did away with everything else. Bought HD antenna's, had amazon prime and couple other free providers. Made it through friday and saturday fine, watched the ravens game sunday and then wanted to watch NFL channel Sunday night l -- had to buy a service, wanted to watch monday night football -- had to buy a service, wanted to watch the food networks -- had to buy a service -- by the time i bough all the services i "needed", i was saving 10 bucks month -- called fios monday and just like that, the cable was spliced back together! I fully admit my ignorance played a big part of not knowing how to get free stuff, but in the end, the convenience outweighed the savings for me.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The hardest part was taking that first step outside that comfort zone.
    Agree 100%.
    Agreed. I had DirecTV and finally dumped them last July and within a week I was wondering why the hell I hadn't done it years ago. Over-the-air (Tablo DVR), Hulu, Amazon Prime, PlutoTV, Youtube, etc. Way more offered and half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    The easiest thing to do is get an antenna with good range. Then get a firetv with a few apps and show them the voice search feature. Between the antenna getting them all the local news and the what comes with Prime/firetv that’s probably be enough
    I use Roku mainly because of the two Smart TVs I had at the time, one with Roku built-in (TCL) was a lot more intuitive than the Samsung TV and its interface. So I bought Roku boxes for the other TVs including the Samsung.

For the poster looking to learn, just get a Firestick or Roku and put it on a TV and use a few of the channels on there (you can get some trial periods and if you have Amazon Prime you can get their stuff for free). I tried Fubo and Hulu and went with Hulu. If you have a Smart TV you don't even need the firestick or Roku to give it a try.

Thank you, all, for your suggestions and sharing your experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I use Roku mainly because of the two Smart TVs I had at the time, one with Roku built-in (TCL) was a lot more intuitive than the Samsung TV and its interface. So I bought Roku boxes for the other TVs including the Samsung.

For the poster looking to learn, just get a Firestick or Roku and put it on a TV and use a few of the channels on there (you can get some trial periods and if you have Amazon Prime you can get their stuff for free). I tried Fubo and Hulu and went with Hulu. If you have a Smart TV you don't even need the firestick or Roku to give it a try.
    I think with the proliferation of Smart TVs most people have Amazon Prime and Netflix at the very least right now. Like you, we have Hulu in addition to those other two. For me it's just missing sports. I would get an Amazon Recast if it were not for the fact I would need a firestick on all my TVs because they don't seem to play with anyone else which sucks. I'll probably go with a Tablo or HD Home run or similar device. I want to leverage my existing smart devices and Rokus. I don't want to pay for a channel guide, which you don't with Amazon, but am willing to pay 35 bucks a year or so.

Cord Cutters

I was thinking I would go with a Tablo. That app is on two of my Smart TVs and I have some Rokus, although I got an obnoxious warning from one Roku that updates would not be allowed on my device as it's too old. When I saw that I was thinking, maybe I should buy some firesticks and just let Jeff Bezos have his way with me. What a pain. There is no clear cut winner but I'm at least learning what's involved in making a decision on what OTA DRV tech to go with. I need the DVR for sure.

I like the Tablo, I have the two-channel model. That said, I haven't compared it to others.

I pay a small fee yearly for the guide which you need to record series, etc.

I get enough stuff over the air using the antenna and Tablo that even a TV addict like myself could be satisfied if I had to be. I do like Hulu for sports coverage.

If you are a Jesus freak like me there is a now free show called The Chosen on Youtube which is excellent. Highly recommend. It is a TV series they have one season available (8 episodes) and are fund-raising for the second. The first season was crowdfunded and was the most successful crowdfunding ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you are a Jesus freak like me there is a now free show called The Chosen on Youtube which is excellent. Highly recommend. It is a TV series they have one season available (8 episodes) and are fund-raising for the second. The first season was crowdfunded and was the most successful crowdfunding ever.
    I'm surprised Youtube hasn't banned it, lol. I will try to remember that and check it out.

What antennae do you have and how is it mounted?

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I'm surprised Youtube hasn't banned it, lol. I will try to remember that and check it out.

What antennae do you have and how is it mounted?
    I got the antenna from Radio Shack years back. It's mounted in my attic so it doesn't get anything except Baltimore stations (I am in Westminster). If it were on the roof I could probably get Harrisburg and DC. It's pointed at Baltimore also. I have amplifiers in the line because the line from the antenna to some of the TVs is quite long. I also have a filter right off the antenna to block extra signals (I forgot exactly its purpose as I rigged it up a while ago).

The Chosen is well worth it.