Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lockdown Larry

Re: Lockdown Larry

So wait, what is going on with Maryland schools? Are they expecting to go back? Aren’t they doin it online?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    What????

O’Malley was a radical
    Cummings was a radical
    And his replacement is a radical

Maryland has its fair share of radicals
    Cummings was a congressman. That's not on the statewide ballot. It's per district.
    That's the point I was making.

Our senators are more moderate but that's true with a lot of states. You get down to the district level and that's where you see the fringe characters/whackjobs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    So wait, what is going on with Maryland schools? Are they expecting to go back? Aren’t they doin it online?
    Since the end of March, we've been doing eLearning through Google Classrooms.

It's not the worst thing in the world because it gives the kids Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science to do every day. But with young kids, it's difficult because they aren't proficient with using a computer or how to upload things to Google Classroom. So, while it is nice to have things for my kids to do...my wife and I have really not been able to devote much attention to our actual jobs. My son is typically done with his daily work by like 11AM and I dont want to just plop him down in front of the TV or something.

From what we have been told, Maryland is re-evaluating everything on May 15th. They'll make a decision then to open schools back up or not. My guess is that Maryland's schools will be closed for the rest of the academic year and open back up in September.

Virginia handled the schools poorly. They didn't prep parents at all. They sent out a notice THAT DAY notifying parents that schools were closed for the rest of the academic school year. They also didn't prepare any eLearning options or anything.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Since the end of March, we've been doing eLearning through Google Classrooms.

It's not the worst thing in the world because it gives the kids Math, English/Language Arts, Social Studies, and Science to do every day. But with young kids, it's difficult because they aren't proficient with using a computer or how to upload things to Google Classroom. So, while it is nice to have things for my kids to do...my wife and I have really not been able to devote much attention to our actual jobs. My son is typically done with his daily work by like 11AM and I dont want to just plop him down in front of the TV or something.

From what we have been told, Maryland is re-evaluating everything on May 15th. They'll make a decision then to open schools back up or not. My guess is that Maryland's schools will be closed for the rest of the academic year and open back up in September.

Virginia handled the schools poorly. They didn't prep parents at all. They sent out a notice THAT DAY notifying parents that schools were closed for the rest of the academic school year. They also didn't prepare any eLearning options or anything.
    Are you doing this by yourselves or are the schools involved? In pa (at least in our area) kids are getting assignments and grades from teachers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Are you doing this by yourselves or are the schools involved? In pa (at least in our area) kids are getting assignments and grades from teachers
    I can't speak to other counties in Maryland, but Frederick County Public Schools are involved. Our teachers post weekly and daily assignments. They post videos, art challenges, etc. They also assign grades to work and provide 1-on-1 tutoring over Zoom.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    In the beginning, we were told the social distance was to extend the curve. Then we were told the lockdown was the extend the curve. The science and facts are telling us the lockdown isn’t needed anymore.
    This.

The whole shutdown was to bend the curve. That has clearly happened. Now the goalposts are moved to crazy things such as nobody should ever catch this again and when we have a vaccine.

35 years in and we still don't have an HIV vaccine. The common cold still has no vaccine. Some variants of the flu have a vaccine but many don't. We can't wait for a vaccine or that nobody could ever catch it again.

Sequester those who are in danger and let everybody else go back to normal.

Sweden and Norway are good for study. Sweden did little but ask, ASK, for people to use social distancing and Norway locked down. The impact of the virus on the two countries has been similar.

The curve has been bent and our health system is apparently not in any danger of being overwhelmed. NYC is the worst-hit area and they have sent back the USS Comfort because they didn't need it.

Stop hammering our Constitutional rights and let us get back to normal life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    This.

The whole shutdown was to bend the curve. That has clearly happened. Now the goalposts are moved to crazy things such as nobody should ever catch this again and when we have a vaccine.

35 years in and we still don't have an HIV vaccine. The common cold still has no vaccine. Some variants of the flu have a vaccine but many don't. We can't wait for a vaccine or that nobody could ever catch it again.

Sweden and Norway are good for study. Sweden did little but ask, ASK, for people to use social distancing and Norway locked down. The impact of the virus on the two countries has been similar.

The curve has been bent and our health system is apparently not in any danger of being overwhelmed. NYC is the worst-hit area and they have sent back the USS Comfort because they didn't need it.

hear hear!

Blog Entries

This.

Just be smart and continue social distancing as best as you can when going out in public buildings. Wear your masks. If you want to stay home in a curled up fetal position till there's a vaccine, knock yourself out. It's your choice. Life goes on. But I would not bother reopening schools this year here in Maryland after all this time. Why bother?

Blog Entries

This.

I agree, but you can't compare Sweden and Norway to the US. Same with Korea. Their populations are much smaller, more homogeneous, and they primarily live in one region/area.

If all we had to deal with was NYC, we would probably be able to replicate some of those results.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I agree, but you can't compare Sweden and Norway to the US. Same with Korea. Their populations are much smaller, more homogeneous, and they primarily live in one region/area.

If all we had to deal with was NYC, we would probably be able to replicate some of those results.
    I think the comparison is in the lockdown or not, not the US vs Sweden/Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yeah Sweden and Norway I would say would be very similar, so it’s totally justified to compare lock down vs no lock down

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I get that, but the point still stands. It's a lot easier to "ask" a population of a few million people (especially in a few specific regions) to socially distance themselves versus the 331 billion people in the USA.

It's just A LOT of people dispersed across a HUGE country.

I definitely want Maryland to start easing up. I want most states to start easing up.

I just don't see a good solution one way or the other.

Let's say Maryland relaxes everything and then you have another major flare up in Baltimore in July and the hospitals get flooded. What then? Lock down again?

I dont know. It's hard. I definitely wouldn't want to be the one in charge right now. There are no good choices.