Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 4344454647 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Still Don't Get it it at WR

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The passing game is so bad right now.

I'm going ot have to clip it with the sideline view, but on one of those 3rd and longs in the 4th Q, we literally ran 3 verticals with 1 post (Andrews).

So the play is basically, clear out and let Andrews make a play on the post?

Zero creatitivity.
    How did Roman get stupid overnight?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    How did Roman get stupid overnight?
    Last year they basically ran the ball. RPOs. The run set up the pass. And it was a zig when everyone was zagging. So it was hard to defend. Now there’s plenty of tape. And the inexperience of our pass catchers and uncreativity of our play caller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The passing game is so bad right now.

I'm going ot have to clip it with the sideline view, but on one of those 3rd and longs in the 4th Q, we literally ran 3 verticals with 1 post (Andrews).

So the play is basically, clear out and let Andrews make a play on the post?

Zero creatitivity.
    This is just me guessing, but I think for whatever reason the Ravens simplified the play book.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    This is just me guessing, but I think for whatever reason the Ravens simplified the play book.
    Wasn't there an offseason interview where Roman was saying how covid offseason meant they were simplifying playbook rather than expanding it? Might have been those two dudes pod over at ravens.com

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Blog Entries

Teams caught on. A lot of this same, or at least similar, stuff, worked last year. They still can’t stop everything, but they are figuring this out.

Blog Entries

They passed on DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley who are both very good - and you can say taking one of them would have meant no LJ so that's okay - but then took Hollywood instead of AJ Brown, or McLaurin, or Metcalf, all of whom are better than he is...then decided in the offseason Boykin was ready to go...yeah, they still don't get it.

I still have hope for Hollywood but I'd like to be seeing more from him. I do have very high hopes for Duvernay based on what we've seen so far.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

They definitely need to get back to running the ball and using the run to set up the pass. I don't see as many RPO's this year as last year either.

I think issues with the interior OL are impacting the play calling and I think the inexperience of the skill players are impacting the play calling.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They definitely need to get back to running the ball and using the run to set up the pass. I don't see as many RPO's this year as last year either.

I think issues with the interior OL are impacting the play calling and I think the inexperience of the skill players are impacting the play calling.
    Going off of profootball reference, the Ravens have called 48 RPO's so far this season which is only behind the Cardinals at 59.

Last season, the Ravens ended up calling 271 RPO's. If you averaged that over 16 games, it's almost 17 RPO's called per game. Right now, we are averaging 8 RPO's a game. So yes it seems like we're calling RPO's about half the time as what we did last season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0/advanced.htm

The problem is that PFR, from what I understand, counts zone and gap options as an RPO.

Those aren't RPO's.

We charted RPO's last year and there was nowhere near that many, but if you combine the RPO's with the number of zone and gap options then it's probably correct. However, those aren't RPO plays.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Teams caught on. A lot of this same, or at least similar, stuff, worked last year. They still can’t stop everything, but they are figuring this out.
    I agree with all of you that the playbook looks different; it's much more boring, and lacks the multi ways to beat a defense. Last year the read options were thing of beauty. If defenses went for the running back, Lamar kept it or those lead blocking tight ends became available for a short pass. Either way it was a lot to defend, especially when you add in a few deep balls from the same starting formation. And even when Lamar dropped back to pass, they still had to defend against him running it. This was never more obvious than that Rams game.

Roman talked about creating an unstoppable offense before last season. One that could only work when the QB was as deadly with his legs as Lamar. We're not running that offense this year. Designed QB runs are bland, not tricky. Running plays are vanilla. Passing plays are transparent. This could be by design, because of lack of practice given the complexity this requires the players to understand, or because we're holding back to avoid showing too much of it until or really matters like last year.

I guess my 2 points are that if executed properly, that offense should be the absolutely hardest to stop regardless of how much tape they have on us, but we could be overreacting to the Titans loss and trying to hide until later.
    Secondly, I dint think we can evaluate what we have at WR until the offense returns to a play book that opens up the passing or an O line that can let Lamar drop back longer.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Weekly reminder that they could have signed Robby Anderson in the offseason...and this is not really hindsight as several members of the board were suggesting it.

He's only caught 40 of 51 targets (78%) and his 566 receiving yards leads the league.

Guess they didn't have a use for a player like that.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Weekly reminder that they could have signed Robby Anderson in the offseason...and this is not really hindsight as several members of the board were suggesting it.

He's only caught 40 of 51 targets (78%) and his 566 receiving yards leads the league.

Guess they didn't have a use for a player like that.
    They were hoping that Boykin would "develop" and literally had no plan B...not even something like Seth Roberts. Lol, smh.