Page 3 of 112 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Still Don't Get it it at WR

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Dude wake up and smell the coffee, 1st and 3rd round receivers just last year
    That's what I tried to say, but apparently it's trendy to believe that Miles Boykin isn't going to get any better now that he's got a year of experience.
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

The top four teams in passing yards, and seven of the top ten, did not even make the playoffs. Two of the bottom seven did. There is more to winning football games than slinging the ball all over the field to WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Even if Dobbins is great, Ray Rice 2.0, I still think we should have taken Mims at 55. Even if he doesn't work out, it would have been the right decision.
    Upgrading the receiving options should have been the next step for Lamar and the Ravens offense.

Sadly, the undefendable offense talk was a smokescreen ...
    I wanted Mims more than any other poster here did. I think he was the second-best receiver in the draft. Yes, ahead of Jeudy. Or at worst, 2a and 2b with Jeudy. Absurd value; the kind of WR that is never available to us, as late as we usually pick.

But even I see that we drafted:

• Ray Rice + game-breaking speed
    • a high-volume slot WR with 4.39 speed and near-perfect hands
    • and two big pass-blocking iOL.

That's not "ignoring the offense". It's the opposite of that.

Lamar Jackson threw the ball 59 times in a playoff loss and incurs 8 dropped passes

Maybe just maybe, you can't just run everybody over, you deal with an unlucky turnover that sets you back, you can't make the timely stops, and a time will come in the playoffs where you get dealt a bad hand and you have to make plays in the passing game to dig yourself out. Point blank. Period.

Believing that we are more equipped now to handle another bad playoff start is just naive. If anything I have more faith in the defense to help mitigate the damage, I have no more faith in the passing game to dig us out of a hole than I did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    That's what I tried to say, but apparently it's trendy to believe that Miles Boykin isn't going to get any better now that he's got a year of experience.
    Well: Miles Boykin doesn't count because players never get better from Year 1 to Year 2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    No, it precisely is crazy rambling about a tired subject.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    But go ahead.
    You go ahead & let him go ahead. I don't suffer loudmouth knowitalls gladly & I'm sick of hearing the same stuff he admits he's been whining about for the last 7 years. He's even more annoying than Johnny OneNotePerson, and even more verbose.

I have exactly 2 words to say to "sflegendinhisownmind": Bye, Felicia! (to the sound of the doors to Loba's Ignoratory creaking open)
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Believing that we are more equipped now to handle another bad playoff start is just naive. ... I have no more faith in the passing game to dig us out of a hole than I did last year.
    It's naive to think that adding a great receiving back, a big-play slot, and 2 big pass-blocking iOL helps us be more equipped in the passing game?

Interesting.

???

Pretty sure the only strong passing game is an efficient one. We had volume passing attacks under Trestman and Marty M. If you think that was better, I dunno what to tell you.
    How efficient was it when it no longer came in small doses, when it wasn't supported by the run game?

31/59 is not efficient. So if your passing game is just circumstantially good, then it actually isn't that good. I put almost no blame on Lamar. I would like to see Patrick Mahomes try to come back from a 24-0 deficit throwing to Seth Roberts and Willie Snead... Andy Reid gives him the weapons to be his best self. The Ravens so far haven't with Lamar, Hollywood/Andrews are very good players but the depth of quality pass catchers just isn't there.

First round receiver last year. Third round receivers last year and this year. The Ravens are investing draft capital in the WR position. Hollywood a year removed from surgery, Boykin a year improved, and the Slot-Monster, the name I'm trademarking for Duvernay, is basically Ghost Rider; fast and mean as hell. We might have the fastest WR corps in the NFL, a great fit for a running team since teams will have to keep at least one safety deep no matter which of those three is out there.

I'm not Queen's biggest fan, but obviously the Ravens felt he added more to the team than Mims or Claypool than yet another high round receiver would.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    You can't seriously believe this.
    I seriously do.

They were already a record-breaking running offense who could get first downs, go on long scoring drives, chew the clock and force defenses to crowd the box opening things up for the pass. We already have every advantage the running game can give you. In fact, even if Dobbins is the best RB in the league, our running game will probably regresses from last year's record breaking pace anyway. The potential gain from that pick is minimal.

If we took Mims and he worked out we'd suddenly have 2 dangerous wide receivers which, aside from everything that would mean for our passing game, would actually help the running game even more than a great back would by taking defenders out of the box.

If the Mims pick didn't work out we'd only be about 2% back from where we are now - our running game would still be good enough to give us all the advantages listed above without him.

They are 2 lottery tickets - one could win you $100 and the other $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    The titans game was just a massive all around fuck up. Dropped passes, not converting 4th downs, and we ran the ball 11 times or something stupid low. Kc game we abandoned the run...

Yes we do need to upgrade the Wr position but just because we didn't grab juedy and Pittman and traded for Hopkins doesn't mean we won't improve.

Our offense is a run heavy with a focus on tight ends. I get your not happy and we are all entitled to feel our own way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Great, that's all I'm saying. They are one high end WR addition away as a team, not just on offense. This post is just laying out their history of not being aggressive in finding an answer and trying to have things land in their lap like Hollywood falling to them or SSS getting cut.

The 49ers are a run/defense team and got aggressive solving their WR position in the last 2 years, as has Buffalo who is another run/defense minded team. Chiefs had to take a ton of risks to build their weapons up for Mahomes, the aggressive teams get problems solved at that position and the "wait and see" teams never do.

Blog Entries

It's naive to think that adding a great receiving back, a big-play slot, and 2 big pass-blocking iOL helps us be more equipped in the passing game?

Interesting.
    Because in the past two playoff games, defenses forced Lamar to throw to the outside..........where he had no one to consistently throw to. Brown did his best, God bless him, but Brown is a vertical threat first.