Page 1 of 112 123 ... LastLast

Ravens Still Don't Get it it at WR

I have been banging on this drum since 2013, since the old Ravens boards, and to this day I still think this team finds excuse after excuse not to properly address the position for the modern NFL. They choose to not be aggressive in finding answers, they choose to wait for things to fall in their lap at WR instead of actively make things happen and incur some degree of risk to do so. Whether it's in the draft, it's in the trade market, it's in free agency... we hear story after story of almost.

"Well they almost picked ____. they thought he would fall to them there"

"Well they almost picked ____, but he went right before our pick and we didn't want to trade up and lose that draft capital"

"Well they almost had the trade for ____, but they just wanted too much"

"Well we almost signed ____, but his asking price was a little rich for our taste"

I understand that you can't make every deal, that sometimes the best thing you can say is "No thanks" to a risky trade offer or contract. But at a certain point after all these years almost stops being a coincidence and starts being a direct reflection of how much you value the position and your absolute risk-averse approach to finding high end talent there. Drafting Hollywood and Perriman in the 1st are the only times I truly felt they attempted to address the situation in a major way and even though Perriman didn't pan out for us, I commend them for actually attempting to give a shit and find a WR1 who had big upside.

We all heard that they tried to trade for Hopkins/Lamb, that is great. That is the type of moves that the WR room desperately needs. It's just my hope that EDC sinks his teeth into WR1 like a pitbull before the season starts and pounds the pavement until he comes back with an answer. Enough is enough, give your MVP high end talent there, the small additions they made in the draft are a start but it's frankly just putting a band-aid on a gun shot. I sure would hate to fall behind by so much as 10 points against a team like KC in the playoffs, they are waiting for Tennessee 2.0 to happen again this year by playing from behind early with not enough high end weapons.

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Still Don't Get it it at WR

Who are the 5 best wrs in the NFL? My next question would be, how many of them were in the playoffs this year?

Looking at the playoffs, only Houston had a truly game changing prototypical #1 receiver. I say that to say a flashy guy like Hopkins isnt that important. You just need guys to catch the ball and move the chains, they dont have to be elite.

Are you stepping up for Ex now that he’s seemingly lost his energy for outrage? This did not need its own thread lol you’ve banged this boring ass drum plenty this offseason.

They have invested draft capital in WR's many times before, and g=had even done it in the 1st round. Travis Taylor, not worthy of the pick. Mark Clayton, not worthy of the pick. Perriman, not worthy of the pick. Hollywodd, the jury is still out. Even so, doing it the way they have been doing it, they have a couple of Superbowls to show for it. The Bengals, Falcons, Chargers, Bucs, Texans, just to name a few, WISH they had the same success the Ravens have had, and all of them have invested a LOT of draft capital at the WR1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Are you stepping up for Ex now that he’s seemingly lost his energy for outrage? This did not need its own thread lol you’ve banged this boring ass drum plenty this offseason.
    The Ravens put up one of the best offensive performances in league history last year..........anddddddddd people still find a reason to b!tch lmao

They double dipped at WR last year with Hollywood and Boykin, then they did it again with Duvernay and Proche this year. So far EDC has shown that 1. He is willing to spend picks on WRs in the early rounds of the draft and not hope that some Day Three pick is going to be the next Antonio Brown or Julian Edelman. and 2. He believes in surrounding Lamar with young talent that will grow around him instead of taking a 30-something that another team cut and hoping that he'll have a late career comeback.

Perhaps it's just fan hope, or homerism, or whatever, but I believe that at least two of the four receivers that EDC has drafted over the last two years will succeed in 2020, but if they don't, I'm sure that he'll make some moves to better the WR corps in the offseason (if he doesn't decide to make an in-season move similar to his trade for Marcus Peters).
    Let's win the f**king game.
    Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Are you stepping up for Ex ... ?
    Is Ex sick?!? SfLegend is filling in for him??

Great work, SF! Next Man Up!

Ex – get well soon, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    The Ravens put up one of the best offensive performances in league history last year..........anddddddddd people still find a reason to b!tch lmao
    And the premise that if we ever get down 10 points against the Chiefs the game is over is completely flawed too. Week 3 before this team even really hit its stride we were down three scores in the 4th quarter at Arrowhead (23-6 at halftime and 30-13 after three quarters) we outscored them 15-3 (despite two failed 2 point conversions) and got them to 3rd and 9 down just 33-28 with 1:51 left.

Nevermind the fact that the offense is dominant enough that they rarely have to play from behind (which I would say is a good thing lol) the idea that this offense can’t possibly play from behind isn’t even accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Hollywodd, the jury is still out.
    It must be a pretty slow-witted jury if they think he wasn't worth the pick.

1)we are a run dominant team

2) our qb led the league in passing TDs

3) I wouldnr be surprised we sign a veteran cut

4) what's up X?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

This fanbase literally has stockholm syndrome at WR.

This post is far from a casual's crazy ramblings about a tired subject. This was actually a well thought out post from somebody who studies the game closely and if you read my posts clearly has a rational view point and grasp of the game at a moderately-high level for a fan.

This team might have realistically lost out on a Lombardi last year because Lamar Jackson was trying to mount a comeback with Seth Roberts/Miles Boykin as his secondary options at WR and people still want to act like the same situation can't easily play out again where they are in a hole in the playoffs and the running game is forced to take a back seat. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. They didn't lose in the playoffs because the defense couldn't stop Derrick Henry, they lost because their record setting offense isn't built to come back from anything more than a one possession deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    1)we are a run dominant team

2) our qb led the league in passing TDs

3) I wouldnr be surprised we sign a veteran cut

4) what's up X?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    1. What happens to run dominant teams when they are in a deficit? Hmm go ask us against Tennessee or Tennessee against KC

2. That's great that he led the league in passing TD's. They also had the lowest WR receiving yds in the entire NFL. Those TD numbers don't reflect a strong passing game, they reflect an efficient one in small doses

3. Veteran cut... like Crabtree and Maclin? Nobody is cutting high end WR's, that SSS stuff happens once in a blue moon

4. I'm a super rational poster, sometimes the truth hurts, Eric already tried to get Lamb/Hopkins so clearly the best GM in football sees what I see as well