Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best 9 Trades in Ravens History

Which 3 are the VERY best?

Full article and poll HERE!

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Best 9 Trades in Ravens History

LJ, Boldin, and #3 is going to be extremely difficult.....

Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco and Boldin.

Ray’s gave us —-Ray. Lol.
    Joe’s and Boldin ‘s gave us a Super Bowl. Granted with Ngata and Yanda but w/o Joe and Boldin I don’t think we get the ring.

Lamar’s I’d make 4th since the jury is still out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Ray Lewis, Joe Flacco and Boldin.

Ray’s gave us —-Ray. Lol.
    Joe’s and Boldin ‘s gave us a Super Bowl. Granted with Ngata and Yanda but w/o Joe and Boldin I don’t think we get the ring.

Lamar’s I’d make 4th since the jury is still out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In the dogfight that was that Bronco's game it is safe to say that without Yanda or Ngata we would have lost. As exiciting as a football game can get that goes into double overtime I wouldn't want to replay those games w/o an all pro guard or NT. The story of Marshall Yanda freezing his jersey to prevent holding is the best example of "Play Like a Raven" that I can think of. It is safe to say we have made some good trades in our 25 years of football.

The fact that we swung an MVP in his second year and it is arguably the 4th best trade in franchise history shows the well roundedness of our top shelf front office. The pro bowlers Ozzie and DeCosta have selected early are evident along with all the UDFA that have turned into key contributors. The fac that the front office can wiggle out trades on the spot with what I assume is little time to plan it out shows that Ozzie was truly a Wizard in his day.

8 of the 9 were trades the resulted in PRIME TALENT.

The 9th one took a UDFA, that NEVER played a official down in the NFL and was NEVER going to get on the field here and turned it into a marketable commodity.

Took Flacco as the #3. It was hard leaving off Ray, but I don’t think you can credit his falling to anything the Ravens did. It was simple luck really that they were able to still get him later in the first round. LJ, Boldin, and Flacco were just awesome crafty moves.

This may seem a bit convoluted, but honestly at this point, the voices in my head can't agree on anything... Too much time at home in PA where the liquor stores are all closed.

Ruling out:

1) Ray Lewis - Best player on this list, but the trade was made by a) someone not in the organization when the pick was made. b) technically the trade wasn't made by the Ravens and c) you don't make the trade thinking you're going to get a GOAT player at a position. It's just for a pick.

2) This rules out Jamal Lewis also. We traded in 1999 for a 2000 draft slot, not JLew.

3) Technically, if I"m ruling these guys out, I rule out Yanda too. That was a first round trade that netted two other picks. To say the Ravens traded for Yanda is a stretch.

4) Since we've yet to see a down from Calais Campbell, I'll rule that one out

5) I'm taking Ngata off the board too. We moved up one spot when we may not have needed to.

So I'll go with

A) Joe Flacco
    B) Lamar Jackson
    C) Anquan Boldin

Revisit this in a couple years when Peters and Campbell have a chance to get more Raven games under their belt. To pick them up for two fifth rounders and a backup ILB is the true steal here.

BTW, great information on this site (even if the UX is a bit dated) Pro Sports Transactions

Blog Entries

My favorite was the trade for Ngata. Phil Savage was so focused on beating his former boss that he took his eye off of what really mattered which was making the best pick. Ozzie played it completely straight. Everyone knew he wanted Ngata. Savage leaked stuff all week how he was going to then draft Ngata just so he could get that 6th round pick from Ozzie. Ozzie had no problem giving up a low round pick to make sure he got the right guy. It was a thing a beauty to watch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Took Flacco as the #3. It was hard leaving off Ray, but I don’t think you can credit his falling to anything the Ravens did. It was simple luck really that they were able to still get him later in the first round. LJ, Boldin, and Flacco were just awesome crafty moves.
    D R, in a strange way Ray was the result of a trade, but it was from the year before (1995). IIRC Belichick wanted Kyle Brady (TE) badly. The Jets already had a TE (Mitchell?), but took Brady @ #9 anyway. BB went ballistic in the War Room and traded with the 49ers :

A Bill Belichick trade down got Ray Lewis for the Ravens

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...or-the-ravens/

... Bc

Blog Entries

I agree with perryw when considering only trades that were for a specific player and not trades made in advance and then turned into a Ray Lewis or whatever. I would swap Boldin and Jackson though. Flacco + Boldin = reason we won the SB in 2012. Lamar is great, but due to lack of postseason success, I don't put him above Boldin yet.

Revisit this question in a few years.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

As an outsider.... I'd say the best trade ever made bythis franchise was trading the city of Cleveland for Baltimore. No disrespect to Cleveland. Well maybe a little.

Joe Flacco for a 4th round pick has to be up there. Highway robbery we pulled on the Broncos.