Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 3.0

I think he played with some injury in 2019, not sure how much it affected him. His 2018 tape screams Top15-20.

2. Re: Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    All I can remember about Matt Elam is that he couldn't tackle either. Maybe Michael Huff is a better comparison.

In any case, I want nothing to do with a safety who can't tackle.
    Shit, Ed Reed couldn't tackle for pretty much the entirety of his final contract with us. =P

I don't think a good center fielder with ball skills and preternatural instincts should be overlooked just because he doesn't tackle properly.

3. Re: Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    All I can remember about Matt Elam is that he couldn't tackle either. Maybe Michael Huff is a better comparison.

In any case, I want nothing to do with a safety who can't tackle.
    “The sideline ain’t never miss a tackle.” - Sizzle to Elam in the 2014 divisional playoff game where Elam made sure the sideline wasn’t a tackle that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    Shit, Ed Reed couldn't tackle for pretty much the entirety of his final contract with us. =P

I don't think a good center fielder with ball skills and preternatural instincts should be overlooked just because he doesn't tackle properly.
    Earl Thomas was never much of a tackler either. I don't think tackling matters much with deep safeties if they can cover.

Blog Entries

A lot of the LSU defenders in this years class are missing something. They aren't at that great level that we've see from past prospects.

K'Lavon Chiasson is the most talented but raw. He could turn into a really good pass rusher in a couple of years. He's someone who has to learn to do more than just rush every down

Grant Delpit has awesome size but plays more like a nickel corner than Safety. He does like to hit and is aggressive against the run but he doesn't seem to be able to explode into those plays. If he could put on a little more weight without hurting his speed it could make a world of difference.

Patrick Queen has the head to be a top middle linebacker. He can diagnose and adjust. His issue is size and athletic ability. It's good but it's not great like the guys who have been in that spot in the recent past.

Kristian Fulton is half a second off. He can hide it with good recovery speed but sometimes I wonder why he's falls for some of the moves he sees. He's going to take some time to learn the position in the NFL. This kid is not a day 1 starter.

It's tough when you are coming in after Patrick Peterson and Devin White and Tyrann Mathieu and Deion Jones and Jamal Adams and Tre'Davius White etc.... Those guys where really good and many were much better prospects than this current group. None of them though won a National Championship and this years group were a big part of that win. At #28 I'd be happy with 3 of the 4, I'd pass on Fulton. Chiasson though has really good potential if he continues to develop the way he has been.

I got 1 deep pick for late in day 3. Jacob Phillips who is probably a Sam linebacker in the NFL. This kid is tall and lean and was the real leader of the Tigers defense this past year. He took over when Devin White left and the defense listened. There were many times this year when that defense was on their heels and Phillips was the guy who calmed them down and helped get back some focus to turn things around. Jacob Phillps is going to make a team and will one of those guys plays a lot better than his draft position.

6. Re: Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Earl Thomas was never much of a tackler either. I don't think tackling matters much with deep safeties if they can cover.
    ET's always been a pretty good tackler, actually. He was an All Pro, do-it-all monster early in his career.

The current ET's a bit older and wiser and, I'm sure, factors in more "business decisions" per play.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I mean, in seriousness, probably not. We have a window of our own in which to win, while Lamar is on his rookie deal. In a trade-back scenario, I'd need to receive back an early 2nd; I don't think Pittsburgh has one.
    This discussion has been had to some degree before, but I'm in the minority about the whole "window" thing. We are currently about 7-to-1 to win the Super Bowl. There is no one player who is going to move that needle significantly. It is reasonable to expect that over the next two years we will be an 11-13 win team, going in to the playoffs with a reasonable chance to win the whole thing. That will be the case whether we draft a first-round bust this year or not.

The question is more about keeping that core intact after 2021-- keeping the so-called "window" open . No matter what we do we are going to lose a lot of talent at that point. So to me, a #2 next year is pretty valuable. Forgetting about the Steelers aspect to the question, and just assuming we are talking about the 49th pick: I could definitely dropping back to 49, picking up an extra high pick for NEXT year, and then using some of our existing ammo to move back towards the top of the second round.

The next couple years are not as much about getting a superstar or two, but about getting a LOT of starter-level, above average players who will be cheap for the next four or five years.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hot, I can't assess what (a) or (b) might bring [although (b) is quite tempting], but what's stop the Steelers from trading with the Titans [who have the #29 pick]? They know we're not going to draft a QB. IOW us not trading with them would not really deny the Steelers one of those QBs if they offered enough... Bc
    Well one possibility is that the Titans could draft one of those guys themselves. Tannehill's deal is effectively only for two years. If they think one of those guys is a franchise guy, they would be smart to draft him. Another possibility is that maybe the Titans don't want to trade back. Maybe they want to stick and pick because they have one guy they really want in that spot. Or maybe they are looking to trade to a QB-needy team, but they don't want to go all the way back to #49.

You never know what might happen draft day. It's not a likely scenario, but it's certainly a plausible scenario.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Ruiz and Mims still on the board! This is an excellent scenario.
    Not if they still pick baun. Lol

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I don’t think the Ravens would take Baun over Delpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah I’d be pissed. He’s a perfect replacement for Earl Thomas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Delpit is an elite playmaker. He is going to be really really good.
    His Junior year, I would agree. His Senior year, was very average.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    A lot of the LSU defenders in this years class are missing something. They aren't at that great level that we've see from past prospects.

K'Lavon Chiasson is the most talented but raw. He could turn into a really good pass rusher in a couple of years. He's someone who has to learn to do more than just rush every down

Grant Delpit has awesome size but plays more like a nickel corner than Safety. He does like to hit and is aggressive against the run but he doesn't seem to be able to explode into those plays. If he could put on a little more weight without hurting his speed it could make a world of difference.

Patrick Queen has the head to be a top middle linebacker. He can diagnose and adjust. His issue is size and athletic ability. It's good but it's not great like the guys who have been in that spot in the recent past.

Kristian Fulton is half a second off. He can hide it with good recovery speed but sometimes I wonder why he's falls for some of the moves he sees. He's going to take some time to learn the position in the NFL. This kid is not a day 1 starter.

It's tough when you are coming in after Patrick Peterson and Devin White and Tyrann Mathieu and Deion Jones and Jamal Adams and Tre'Davius White etc.... Those guys where really good and many were much better prospects than this current group. None of them though won a National Championship and this years group were a big part of that win. At #28 I'd be happy with 3 of the 4, I'd pass on Fulton. Chiasson though has really good potential if he continues to develop the way he has been.

I got 1 deep pick for late in day 3. Jacob Phillips who is probably a Sam linebacker in the NFL. This kid is tall and lean and was the real leader of the Tigers defense this past year. He took over when Devin White left and the defense listened. There were many times this year when that defense was on their heels and Phillips was the guy who calmed them down and helped get back some focus to turn things around. Jacob Phillps is going to make a team and will one of those guys plays a lot better than his draft position.
    Thanks for the perspective. I always like reading honest takes from fans of the teams b/c they have watched them day in/day out.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""

Blog Entries

Why is everyone against picking Baun? Are you worried he is Kamalai Correa all over again?

I watched a lot of Big 10 football this year and came away very impressed by Baun. Guy has a fantastic motor and was always around the ball. His combine numbers match up pretty comparatively with Clay Matthews and TJ Watt. I'd say if we could add a player like that too our defense at 28 it would be a huge boost especially for our lacking pass rush.