Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Mocking the ridiculous number of players who could be there still at 28

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    I can't be the only person that would be frustrated if we draft a Safety at #28 am I ?

The OP list is great and would be happy with almost anyone except a S

in my view - we should take a WR/LB/Pass rusher with our 1st pick
    Here is the devil's advocate view.

First, taking "a" WR...or LB...or Edge is too general to really endorse.

If one of those players is as good or better than one of the safeties, then I have no problem with that approach. But I don't want just any of those players to fill a role. I don't want another Breshard Perriman, Arthur Brown, or Sergio Kindle.

When I look at the groupings, I fear the real value will be off the board, and I am suspicious of the talent that may remain.

Second, the need at safety is under-appreciated. Earl Thomas is entering his eleventh season. How much longer will he play at a hight level, injury free?

He is signed for three more seasons in Baltimore. However, he is owed no guaranteed money after this season. His cap hit is $15M this year, $16M next, and $17M the year after that. Those are the numbers no one seems willing to give Judon for even one year--do we feel good about paying Earl that for three more? If they cut him post June-1 next year they save $11M on the 2021 cap and $12M in 2022.

For a team who needs to resign Humphrey, Stanley, Brown, and oh yeah, Lamar, that savings could be attractive IF you have a good back up plan.

So I have no trouble if, say, Xavier McKinney is sitting there at 28 and he's the pick.

Of course, I'm secretly hoping they wait and draft Antwoine Brooks.

By the way, the more I look at the newest mocks, I don't see anyone who still believes the South Carolina DT Kinlaw falling into the twenties.

But that's another example where he could be the best player available compared to the players at "need" positions.

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    I can't be the only person that would be frustrated if we draft a Safety at #28 am I ?

The OP list is great and would be happy with almost anyone except a S

in my view - we should take a WR/LB/Pass rusher with our 1st pick
    Why would that frustrate you? Its not like it has not been a position that has not needed an upgrade since Ed Reed left.

Earl Thomas so far has not been the impact player here he was in Seattle. We saw Marginal improvement with Weddle for a bit but its time to upgrade and improve every level of the defense.

Free agency the focus was DLine so I expect all phases of the defense will see players drafted at some point this draft.

Personally I hope round 1 is Safety, or DLine unless one of the top WRS are sitting there

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

If one of those players is as good or better than one of the safeties, then I have no problem with that approach. But I don't want just any of those players to fill a role. I don't want another Breshard Perriman, Arthur Brown, or Sergio Kindle.

When I look at the groupings, I fear the real value will be off the board, and I am suspicious of the talent that may remain.

Second, the need at safety is under-appreciated. Earl Thomas is entering his eleventh season. How much longer will he play at a hight level, injury free?

He is signed for three more seasons in Baltimore. However, he is owed no guaranteed money after this season. His cap hit is $15M this year, $16M next, and $17M the year after that. Those are the numbers no one seems willing to give Judon for even one year--do we feel good about paying Earl that for three more? If they cut him post June-1 next year they save $11M on the 2021 cap and $12M in 2022.

For a team who needs to resign Humphrey, Stanley, Brown, and oh yeah, Lamar, that savings could be attractive IF you have a good back up plan.

So I have no trouble if, say, Xavier McKinney is sitting there at 28 and he's the pick.

By the way, the more I look at the newest mocks, I don't see anyone who still believes the South Carolina DT Kinlaw falling into the twenties.

But that's another example where he could be the best player available compared to the players at "need" positions.
    Good points

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Why would that frustrate you? Its not like it has not been a position that has not needed an upgrade since Ed Reed left.

Earl Thomas so far has not been the impact player here he was in Seattle. We saw Marginal improvement with Weddle for a bit but its time to upgrade and improve every level of the defense.

Free agency the focus was DLine so I expect all phases of the defense will see players drafted at some point this draft.

Personally I hope round 1 is Safety, or DLine unless one of the top WRS are sitting there
    Did I hear you say, "Derwin James?" ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    darb, while we won't know how this actually plays out until draft day, I'd rather make our pick @ #28 (assuming there's a player there that DeCosta likes), then use your "#60 and #92 should be enough to get us to the top of round 2." To speculate : let's say a solid (unnamed) player falls into EDC's lap in the 1st round, then he makes the trade and drafts Cesar Ruiz (C/OG) atop the 2nd. I'd be happy and we'd still have #55 and #106 in our draft arsenal... Bc
    I can see EDC doing this and Ruiz might be just such a player. Every year I wish we had an early 2nd rounder as there's always a couple guys we liked as 1st round options still sitting there at pick 35-40. Having 6 picks in rounds 2-4 is great ammunition to target a player he loves, finding a team low on middle round draft picks.

What do you all feel is the ideal # of players to come away with after the 3 day draft? We currently have 9 picks. Do we end up drafting 6? 7? 8? 9 players? Do we have room for 8+ rookies?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

How much longer will Yanda play at a high level, injury free?
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    How much longer will Yanda play at a high level, injury free?
    I am not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with the post. I think you are disagreeing with my suggestion that we don't need to worry about Thomas entering his 11th season.

Yanda played 13 seasons.

He's also a guard, so losing a step is not as big of a concern.

At the same point in his career, Ed Reed would only squeeze out an 11th and final season for the Ravens, before he was essentially done.

I would say it is wise to plan now for the possibility Thomas only gives them one more year.

His contract was definitely structured so they have to make a decision on him next year--continue to pay him like the best safety in the league, or move on and take the big cap savings.

I think having a young player available for one overlap year makes sense as at least a contingency for what could happen. In the same way it made sense to draft Ben Powers one year before they knew Yanda could retire, even when they had players like Lewis, Eluemanor and Hurst still on the roster.

I'm not saying it has to be a first rounder, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they will be looking for a safety one year early rather than one year late. I've said I like Antwain Brooks. I'm very happy if they get Brooks later and use the first rounder on another spot, but I can also see how the situation is unfolding here.

From that perspective it' would be a mistake to say, we don't need a safety badly enough to take one in the first round'. If a player like Xavier McKinney is the best player at 28--better than the handful of wide receivers or other players, it would be wrong not to take him.

Blog Entries

Neither here nor there but I think Earl Thomas needs to lose 5-7lbs and take some flexibility / yoga classes....him and Jimmy Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    I can see EDC doing this and Ruiz might be just such a player. Every year I wish we had an early 2nd rounder as there's always a couple guys we liked as 1st round options still sitting there at pick 35-40. Having 6 picks in rounds 2-4 is great ammunition to target a player he loves, finding a team low on middle round draft picks.

What do you all feel is the ideal # of players to come away with after the 3 day draft? We currently have 9 picks. Do we end up drafting 6? 7? 8? 9 players? Do we have room for 8+ rookies?
    Ruiz seems like the kind of player they can just plug in at Center and forget about the position for the next 5-10 years.
    Last edited by TDL1000; 04-06-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't know if there's an ideal number, but my feeling is that we've already got a pretty stacked roster so I'd rather have less but higher rated picks in general... Bc

I think the trade up in 2 is a great option if we don't trade back at 28. The talent level does drop right at the range of our 55 and 60. If rather have 7 good picks than 5 good ones and 4 possible developments

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    darb, while we won't know how this actually plays out until draft day, I'd rather make our pick @ #28 (assuming there's a player there that DeCosta likes), then use your "#60 and #92 should be enough to get us to the top of round 2." To speculate : let's say a solid (unnamed) player falls into EDC's lap in the 1st round, then he makes the trade and drafts Cesar Ruiz (C/OG) atop the 2nd. I'd be happy and we'd still have #55 and #106 in our draft arsenal... Bc
    All of my trade up scenarios are assuming a talented player the Ravens like is there. Getting Ruiz and Murray makes us a better team than getting Murray, Queen, and Mims/Claypool/generic WR so I'd trade up in the second for Ruiz.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock