Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Mocking the ridiculous number of players who could be there still at 28

I can't recall a draft with so little consensus among the mock drafts around how the back half of the first round could go.

(Maybe that has something to do with the curtailed evaluation period, with less chance for the media to get info out of teams)

I wanted to try and create a group of players who could be a need fit for the Ravens--and who are regularly noted in first round projections who could still be available into the 20s.

It's about 25 players. While there are a few of them I doubt will really last to 28...and a few others who I think will fall into the second round...I am having trouble coming up with a short list.

It sets up as the type of draft where the Ravens will trade back, with some many similar options likely to be available with a later pick. I could certainly see a scenario were maybe Jordan Love is still on the board at 28 and someone wants to move up to get him. As just one example of how pick 28 could become trade bait.

I know many on this board see all this as reason to move up, not down. But I just don't see that happening. I could see them maneuvering to get a ton of picks in rounds 2-4 where there is a lot of value.

Here's my list. Anyone want to add to it, or suggest who from among this group rises to the top for you? I like Murray many mockers have him gone in the top fifteen, with a few having him go to the Ravens. I tend to agree with the former. Like everyone else I like Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs but don't see them getting in striking distance.

My list...have at it...

Denzel Mims | WR | Baylor
    Jalen Reagor | WR | TCU
    Justin Jefferson | WR | LSU
    Tee Higgins | WR | Clemson
    Laviska Shenault |WR | Colorado
    Brandon Aivuk | WR | Arizona State

Jonathan Taylor | RB | Wisconsin
    DeAndre Swift | RB | Georgia

Cesar Ruiz | C | Michigan
    Lloyd Cushenberry | C | LSU

Antoine Winfield, Jr. | S | Minnesota
    Xavier McKinney | S | Alabama
    Jeremy Chinn | S | Southern Illinois

Yetur Gross-Matos | EDGE | Penn State
    A.J. Epenesa | EDGE/DL | Iowa

Zach Baun| LB | Wisconsin
    Patrick Queen | LB | LSU
    Kenneth Murray | LB | Oklahoma

Neville Gallimore | DL |Oklahoma
    Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
    Ross Blacklock | DT | TCU

Re: Mocking the ridiculous number of players who could be there still at 28

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I can't recall a draft with so little consensus among the mock drafts around how the back half of the first round could go.
    I agree but there does seem to be more consensus that players 20 -45 or whatever, are at a pretty similar level so we might find it hard to find a trade partner if we want to trade down unless we're willing to go outside that range.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    we might find it hard to find a trade partner
    Agreed. I mentioned Jordan Love because it is typically a QB who fits this scenario. Tebow. Lamar (Both trades involving the Ravens) Paxton Lynch. Manziel. Bridgewater. Weeden. All QBs in the last ten years who someone moved up into the last ten spots of the first round to draft.

Based on history, it's also possible one of the edge rushers, or CBs if there is a run on them, could cause a team to move up. (I think it's why EDC focused on improving the pass rush through the franchise tags and trades/FAs...avoiding where he MUST solve it in the.draft). Maybe the USC left tackle.

I actually think IND is a nice trade partner with #34.

They may covet a 5th round option on a QB if one falls
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Cool Re: Mocking the ridiculous number of players who could be there still at 28

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I actually think IND is a nice trade partner with #34.

They may covet a 5th round option on a QB if one falls
    GWNR I have been hoping this from the very beginning.

Give up 28 for their 34 (and maybe either their 3rd or 4th) and I'd be a happy man.

I'd also look at Miami and be willing to trade our 28th and one of our 4th rounders for both of their 2nd rounders too!

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    GWNR I have been hoping this from the very beginning.

Give up 28 for their 34 (and maybe either their 3rd or 4th) and I'd be a happy man.

I'd also look at Miami and be willing to trade our 28th and one of our 4th rounders for both of their 2nd rounders too!
    I've thought 28 and 60 to the Colts for 34 and 44 would be a good deal. Think that 34-55 area will be loaded with quality players.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

(Maybe that has something to do with the curtailed evaluation period, with less chance for the media to get info out of teams)

I wanted to try and create a group of players who could be a need fit for the Ravens--and who are regularly noted in first round projections who could still be available into the 20s.

It's about 25 players. While there are a few of them I doubt will really last to 28...and a few others who I think will fall into the second round...I am having trouble coming up with a short list.

It sets up as the type of draft where the Ravens will trade back, with some many similar options likely to be available with a later pick. I could certainly see a scenario were maybe Jordan Love is still on the board at 28 and someone wants to move up to get him. As just one example of how pick 28 could become trade bait.

I know many on this board see all this as reason to move up, not down. But I just don't see that happening. I could see them maneuvering to get a ton of picks in rounds 2-4 where there is a lot of value.

Here's my list. Anyone want to add to it, or suggest who from among this group rises to the top for you? I like Murray many mockers have him gone in the top fifteen, with a few having him go to the Ravens. I tend to agree with the former. Like everyone else I like Lamb, Jeudy and Ruggs but don't see them getting in striking distance.

My list...have at it...

Denzel Mims | WR | Baylor
    Jalen Reagor | WR | TCU
    Justin Jefferson | WR | LSU
    Tee Higgins | WR | Clemson
    Laviska Shenault |WR | Colorado
    Brandon Aivuk | WR | Arizona State

Jonathan Taylor | RB | Wisconsin
    DeAndre Swift | RB | Georgia

Cesar Ruiz | C | Michigan
    Lloyd Cushenberry | C | LSU

Antoine Winfield, Jr. | S | Minnesota
    Xavier McKinney | S | Alabama
    Jeremy Chinn | S | Southern Illinois

Yetur Gross-Matos | EDGE | Penn State
    A.J. Epenesa | EDGE/DL | Iowa

Zach Baun| LB | Wisconsin
    Patrick Queen | LB | LSU
    Kenneth Murray | LB | Oklahoma

Neville Gallimore | DL |Oklahoma
    Javon Kinlaw, DT, South Carolina
    Ross Blacklock | DT | TCU
    I like your list. I'd probably remove Shenault due to injuries and Cushenberry due to value. I like that you eliminated CB, TE, and QB as options. I can imagine a scenario where the Ravens grab a Tackle with left tackle experience and potential to be a guard and swing tackle. And most importantly it give us leverage to resign Stanley. Finally I would add Delpit as a long term FS replacement for Earl.

Fine thread, Shas. I don't expect Kinlaw to fall past #13, where SF could take him to replace Buckner. Delpit is fascinating - a great ballhawk with some tackling issues. Apart from being an heir to Earl at FS, Delpit would have value as insurance in the nickel in case Tavon goes down again. Delpit might just fall.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

I actually think Ruiz also makes it to round 2.

I like the idea of converting a tackle to a guard/swing lineman, and have noted before all the times they've done it in the past. But I don't see them doing it with with a first round player. My feeling is if a tackle is good enough to be taken in the first round, he's a tackle.

My gut says it's Murray, Kinlaw, Epenesa or, if they are all gone, trade back.

Blog Entries

Some of the top CB and OTs could “fall” tooo

I actually think Ruiz also makes it to round 2.

I like the idea of converting a tackle to a guard/swing lineman, and have noted before all the times they've done it in the past. But I don't see them doing it with with a first round player. My feeling is if a tackle is good enough to be taken in the first round, he's a tackle.

My gut says it's Murray, Kinlaw, Epenesa or, if they are all gone, trade back.
    Absolutely. Unless the plan was to play the left tackle at guard for 2 years. And if after franchising Stanley in 2021, he leaves to reset the LT market in 2022. Then we have an in house replacement with 2 years experience on our line. But I agree it's not a great use of a 1st round pick. It's a more likely scenario in round 3 like what happened with Yanda. It's also highly unlikely a solid tackle who projects to playing on the left side is sitting there at 28. And it's not an immediate need position.

Has anyone noticed that player evaluations are widely different on the WRs outside of the consensus top 3? (plus maybe Jefferson at 4) Some have Higgins very high, while I've seen rated in the low 40s. Claypool I've seen mocked at 26 and also in round 3. Mims, Aiyuk, Raegor, Shenault and a few others are all over the place in top tens and mock drafts. Seems like we could see a few surprises on draft day when some big WR names are sitting there as round 3 begins.

Blog Entries

Jesse Stovall/Shas

But I agree it's not a great use of a 1st round pick

But I don't see them doing it with with a first round player.
    —————————————————-
    Jonathan Ogden was not only a 1st round pick he was the 4th pick