Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Perception of Team Need vs. Reality

There is an overwhelming perception that the Ravens are targeting and will draft an ILB (Queen or Murray) at pick 28, or even trade up to do so. I think EDC loves hearing all this chatter, as it throws off other GMs. He sees a reality where Mike and Will LBs can be picked up for cheap from FA (Daryl Smith, Fort, Bynes) or UDFA (Orr, Peanut, Scott, Bynes again). Yes there is plenty of other chatter about getting an edge rusher, WR, or RG in round 1. But the perception seems to be that the Ravens are desperate for an ILB to fall into their laps at pick 28. I will begrudgingly eat my words on draft day if Queen or Murray becomes our guy, but I believe EDC has no interest in either. Yes he saw the value of the All-Pro abilities and leadership of Ray and CJ. But neither of Queen nor Murray is that type of football player. The Ravens will happily follow their draft plan and pick the best players for our football team.

I'm sure many of you remember the pre-draft chatter in 2018 that the Ravens were targeting a 1st round WR at pick 16. Every mock draft said Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore. In actuality the FO didn't like either player at that value. They traded down twice in round 1 to pick 22 and again down to pick 25. Passing on Ridley both times. They acquired the extra picks needed to go grab an MVP QB. All because they stuck to their board.

I can't wait to see what the Ravens do on draft weekend. And I'm feeling very confident EDC will fool Mel Kyper Jr again. Thousands of scenarios are running through EDC's mind. But I'm willing to bet ILB in round 1 is not among them.

Blog Entries

Re: Perception of Team Need vs. Reality

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Stovall View Post
    There is an overwhelming perception that the Ravens are targeting and will draft an ILB (Queen or Murray) at pick 28, or even trade up to do so. I think EDC loves hearing all this chatter, as it throws off other GMs. He sees a reality where Mike and Will LBs can be picked up for cheap from FA (Daryl Smith, Fort, Bynes) or UDFA (Orr, Peanut, Scott, Bynes again). Yes there is plenty of other chatter about getting an edge rusher, WR, or RG in round 1. But the perception seems to be that the Ravens are desperate for an ILB to fall into their laps at pick 28. I will begrudgingly eat my words on draft day if Queen or Murray becomes our guy, but I believe EDC has no interest in either. Yes he saw the value of the All-Pro abilities and leadership of Ray and CJ. But neither of Queen nor Murray is that type of football player. The Ravens will happily follow their draft plan and pick the best players for our football team.

I'm sure many of you remember the pre-draft chatter in 2018 that the Ravens were targeting a 1st round WR at pick 16. Every mock draft said Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore. In actuality the FO didn't like either player at that value. They traded down twice in round 1 to pick 22 and again down to pick 25. Passing on Ridley both times. They acquired the extra picks needed to go grab an MVP QB. All because they stuck to their board.

I can't wait to see what the Ravens do on draft weekend. And I'm feeling very confident EDC will fool Mel Kyper Jr again. Thousands of scenarios are running through EDC's mind. But I'm willing to bet ILB in round 1 is not among them.
    Seems legit.

I will never forget the 2006 off season. we only had one starting safety on the roster going into the draft: Ed Reed. Ozzie waited until the 5th round to draft the other starting safety, Dwan Landry.....I remember wondering what the hell he was doing in rounds 2-4, but in the end it worked out. Sometimes you just need to trust the front office.

4. Re: Perception of Team Need vs. Reality

Maybe. I think ILB, but maybe not.

Blog Entries

The following message is brought to you courtesy of Goodreads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"
    It’s not enough to be able to lie with a straight face; anybody with enough gall to raise on a busted flush can do that. The first way to lie artistically is to tell the truth — but not all of it. The second way involves telling the truth, too, but is harder: Tell the exact truth and maybe all of it…but tell it so unconvincingly that your listener is sure you are lying.
    It would be a hoot and a half if - now that the Ravens are well-known for consistently not doing what everyone else presumes they will, to the point where the rest of the league discounts anything they hear from the direction of the Castle - EDC acts exactly as they originally believed he would, and catches everyone completely off guard. Would serve the barstids right too.

I'm in agreement here. Listening to Ken McKusick, he makes a great case for not wasting draft capital at 28 for ILB. At the end of the day (a) I agree neither of these guys are Ray/Keuchly/even Mosley caliber players, (b) the platoon system has worked well before, and the two ILB spots lend themselves to specialization as much as any position (i.e. we're missing a thumper, so let's get a thumper) and there's no do-it-all ILB in this draft to my eye (Ken also points out that if you spend capital on a first round ILB, if he gets hurt, there's no replacement and not only are you losing that player but you're now trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes to recover and it's really hard), (c) we play with less backers on the field these days and we'd rather get guys like Clark (obviously), Elliott, Levine, Jimmy, our various OLB combinations etc. the passing down snaps, and (d) ILB simply is not as premier a position anymore as OP points out.

With that said, now that Bynes is gone it's legit just Fort, Board and Alaka. I wouldn't be surprised if they look to add not just 1 but 2 guys. I think I remember liking what Alaka brought to the table in preseason, but still, that's the type of player you hope cannot make the team because we've added better talent at the position (or if he does it's because he plays out of his mind and really looks like he could be a contributor).

Blog Entries

I actually think they're both gonna be very good, i especially like Queen. But positional value for ILB isn't that high for me.
    I see mocks that have both LBs getting drafted before players that I think are clearly higher rated prospects.

This organization historically has leaned more towards BPA then need philosophy, so i wouldn't be surprised at all if the Ravens 'pass' on either one if they are available in the 1st round.

That is sort of what I think DeCosta was doing when he told an interviewer that he'd definitely pick a receiver, a guard/centre and a Dline/Edge player this draft. Not trying to fool anyone exactly, just not bothering to lie, because any other GM, looking at our roster, wouldn't be fooled anyway. Not when he knew the media were already selling the ILB narrative for him.

I haven't seen that one. Once. But yeah, can't wait to see it myself and I don't think EDC is going Murray or Queen either.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensintennessee View Post
    I'm in agreement here. Listening to Ken McKusick, he makes a great case for not wasting draft capital at 28 for ILB. At the end of the day (a) I agree neither of these guys are Ray/Keuchly/even Mosley caliber players, (b) the platoon system has worked well before, and the two ILB spots lend themselves to specialization as much as any position (i.e. we're missing a thumper, so let's get a thumper) and there's no do-it-all ILB in this draft to my eye (Ken also points out that if you spend capital on a first round ILB, if he gets hurt, there's no replacement and not only are you losing that player but you're now trying to squeeze square pegs into round holes to recover and it's really hard), (c) we play with less backers on the field these days and we'd rather get guys like Clark (obviously), Elliott, Levine, Jimmy, our various OLB combinations etc. the passing down snaps, and (d) ILB simply is not as premier a position anymore as OP points out.

With that said, now that Bynes is gone it's legit just Fort, Board and Alaka. I wouldn't be surprised if they look to add not just 1 but 2 guys. I think I remember liking what Alaka brought to the table in preseason, but still, that's the type of player you hope cannot make the team because we've added better talent at the position (or if he does it's because he plays out of his mind and really looks like he could be a contributor).
    I agree with your whole post.

One more argument against ILB at 28 is that intelligence matters more than athleticism and the 2 top guys have been elevated due to their speed and explosiveness, which won't matter much unless they're also smart.

I am of the opinion there's like a 75% chance we'll take a WR within our first 3 picks. Sure it's what I WANT to happen, but the way the board stacks up, I just think you'd really miss out if you wait any longer. The roster need really is there and you have to think we won't get a better crop of WR prospects at each of picks 28, 55 and 60 for a long time. As a random example, Aiyuk and Quarterman just feels so much better than Queen and Duvernay, to me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I agree with your whole post.

One more argument against ILB at 28 is that intelligence matters more than athleticism and the 2 top guys have been elevated due to their speed and explosiveness, which won't matter much unless they're also smart.
    Good point.