Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Trading up in the 2nd round

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Complete roster? have you seen our Edge rushers, ILB, WR IOL,Swing Tackle this team has a lot of holes to fill and this is a deep draft, pick where you are or trade back for more picks
    We are fine at Edge, not great, but fine and this years' Draft is not particularly strong. We are looking at guys who on their rookie year are not likely to be better than Bowser/Ferguson.

ILB Yes, we definately need one. A stronger DL and the secondary should make it bearable though. We just did mostly fine with Bynes/LJ.

Both Hollywood and Boykin should improve. Sure, we need a WR and this Draft is perfect for that, but it will still be a complementary piece given what we already have, Andrews and the running game.

Swing Tackle? I mean, really? A lot of teams don't even have good starting Ts.

Much as I'd like to get Jeudy for example, I can't see EDC packing 3/4 picks to get to 13 (SF's) but moving up in the second and third rounds? Definately.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    We are fine at Edge, not great, but fine and this years' Draft is not particularly strong. We are looking at guys who on their rookie year are not likely to be better than Bowser/Ferguson.

Last year was the year to get an EDGE player and the Ravens did so with Sack Daddy. Year two of Ferguson is going to be important for the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Complete roster? have you seen our Edge rushers, ILB, WR IOL,Swing Tackle this team has a lot of holes to fill and this is a deep draft, pick where you are or trade back for more picks
    If we had to line em up today we have as good a shot as any team in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ravens also have to think long term.. They have lots of vets especially along the defensive line that aren't going to be around much longer like Williams, Wolfe and Campbell. Earl Thomas and Ingram as well. Judon is just a one year rental and the rest of the linebackers pretty much all need to be upgraded. With the big contracts on the horizon they're going to have to depend pn the dtaft. Looking at it in terms of immediate short term needs would be a mistake.
    I think they should see if the Colts are interested in swapping picks 34 and 44 for 28 and 60.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TDL1000; 04-01-2020 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    The Ravens also have to think long term.. They have lots of vets especially along the defensive line that aren't going to be around much longer like Williams, Wolfe and Campbell. Earl Thomas and Ingram as well. Judon is just a one year rental and the rest of the linebackers pretty much all need to be upgraded. With the big contracts on the horizon they're going to have to depend pn the dtaft. Looking at it in terms of immediate short term needs would be a mistake.
    I think they should see if the Colts are interested in swapping picks 34 and 44 for 28 and 60.

I could see a QB convincing the Colts of making a move like that: I wouldn’t hate the move depending on how the board shook out...

Blog Entries

While there are teams that have to think "long term" IMO the Ravens are not one of them. Although we've been one-and-done the past two year, I believe this team has the talent to knock on the Super Bowl door. Therefore, short term, especially with LJ8 on his rookie contract, seems to make a lot of sense to me.
    I believe we are correctly in "win now" mode... Bc

Cool Re: Trading up in the 2nd round

Or see if Miami will trade their two 2nd rounders for our 28th pick!

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post

ILB Yes, we definately need one. A stronger DL and the secondary should make it bearable though. We just did mostly fine with Bynes/LJ.

Both Hollywood and Boykin should improve. Sure, we need a WR and this Draft is perfect for that, but it will still be a complementary piece given what we already have, Andrews and the running game.

Swing Tackle? I mean, really? A lot of teams don't even have good starting Ts.

Much as I'd like to get Jeudy for example, I can't see EDC packing 3/4 picks to get to 13 (SF's) but moving up in the second and third rounds? Definately.
    Excellent post. We need to draft a quality ILB, WR and iOL. EDC has the resources to get it done. A backup OT - no sweat. In 2021 and/or 2022, we will need to draft DL and a FS. But these are natural pipeline needs, not crises.

We are in a very strong position.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Excellent post. We need to draft a quality ILB, WR and iOL. EDC has the resources to get it done. A backup OT - no sweat. In 2021 and/or 2022, we will need to draft DL and a FS. But these are natural pipeline needs, not crises.

rhap, I agree on both counts. Even without a trade, the Ravens have the draft fire-power to obtain the three positions you named. Five picks in the first three rounds, plus two more in the 4th, should suffice.

IMO our roster is already filled with talent, except for the positions you named, so unless some STAR player (in another position) falls, we're pretty much in the cat-bird seat.

Eric, do what you do best... Bc

I will always be of the opinion that trading down and adding more picks is better than trading up and minimizing your # of picks.

Remember back in 2015 when everyone here wanted Ozzie to find a way to trade up and get Kevin White?? He was a can't miss.... until he did.

In most drafts, about 20 first rounders pan out. Then there are roughly 75-80 players in rounds 2-6 who turn into useful, quality players. I don't think gambling on the first half of that equation at the expense of the 2nd half is a good formula to use.

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post

We should just trade all of our picks so we can get 4 second round picks and take a pass rusher in addition to the G, WR and ILB.
    We theoretically could get: Queen, Ruiz, Weaver and Aiyuk between 38-60...