Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trading up in the 2nd round

Does anyone see this happening. I have looked at many mocks and so many really good prospects to into the 2nd. Then it drops off around 47 or so. There are still plenty good left, but there are a core group that most teams will.he after.

Re: Trading up in the 2nd round

I could see thet as we are in win now mode. Makes sense to get guys that make a difference now instead of 3byesrs down the road. I think we get rb in the second if one falls

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Does anyone see this happening. I have looked at many mocks and so many really good prospects to into the 2nd. Then it drops off around 47 or so. There are still plenty good left, but there are a core group that most teams will.he after.
    It looks like there will be a lot of good value in the early 2nd so it's definitely possible that we trade up (or back) into that range.

If a lot of teams feel the same way, that the 2nd and 3rd rounds are a sweet spot for value, it might be easier to get good value trading up than down, as teams look to get more picks in that range rather than give them away.

I like those rounds a lot and that's why I think that, if we can't trade down into that range, we might be better counting our blessings and just sticking and making our 4 picks, rather than giving any away.

The only reason we couldn’t or wouldn’t is a lack of fluff filler picks. We would be unable to provide volume of picks going. Back, but our picks are front loaded better than I can ever recall already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I could see a trade up in round #2 happening, but am having a hard time targeting a player for whom this type of scenario might exist. Cole Kmet? Biadescz/Ruiz? I guess if Gross-Matos or Epanesa is sitting there undrafted at 40-45 (unlikely), a trade up makes a lot of sense.

Just out of curiosity, could you give me some names of those who you see directly above and right below that 47 line? It would be interesting to see your evaluations a bit.

I personally look at players I have in the 35-45 range and those I have in the 70-80 range, and they are so damn interchangeable.

Also, even if the Raven board drops off at 47 akin to yours, there is still a very good likelihood of 4-5 of those 47 still being left at pick 55. There are always Tytus Howard/Tim Tebow/Matt Jones type picks out there that defy logic every draft.

More likely is a trade down from 28 unless a special player falls

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    More likely is a trade down from 28 unless a special player falls
    I tend to agree. I think a lot of it really has to do with whether Murray or Queen is still there at 28. If so , draft away. If not, trade down unless another high value player slides.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I tend to agree. I think a lot of it really has to do with whether Murray or Queen is still there at 28. If so , draft away. If not, trade down unless another high value player slides.
    agreed with this line of thinking

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I’m of the opposite opinion. I’d like to move up this year. We have an extra second, an extra third and a dense and near complete roster. Target a couple people you really think will help and go get them, wherever their value falls.

I want the draft to get here already!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I’m of the opposite opinion. I’d like to move up this year. We have an extra second, an extra third and a dense and near complete roster. Target a couple people you really think will help and go get them, wherever their value falls.

I'm curious how many "open" spots we have on the roster. Given the shear volume as you mentioned in the first two days, I wonder if we move up to fill these spots with guys that EDC and the FO really like.

In effort to try to highlight our biggest holes:

1. Starting Right Guard - Replacement for Yanda. Could be Ben Powers, but I imagine for depth/competition we draft someone in the first 2-3 rounds.

2. Starting WR - With Hollywood, Snead, and Boykins penciled in as the starters, we're still in the need of a "Go-To" guy. Given the amount of talent in this year's class, I imagine we draft someone in the first two round. This could be where we trade up for one of the top three guys.

3. Starting ILB - Replacement for Bynes. You could argue this is a bigger need than WR, but given the talent we have on the D-Line and Secondary, L.J. Fort and Peanut would likely fair better than Powers at RG or Hollywood at WR in our offense. This is where we likely draft someone in the first 2 rounds.

4. OLB/Pass Rusher Depth - For depth opposite Judon. With the success EDC/Ozzie have had in finding guys who can get after the pass rusher, I can see this being someone taken in the middle rounds. I can also see us picking up a vet FA to compliment snaps with Ferguson and Bowser.

This only represents 4 of our 9 total picks. While we likely will make some more selections for "depth" at ILB/OLB/WR/OLine, I don't think there is neccesarily a need to do so. These can be backfilled with veterans and let us move up to get guys in the upper tiers of the position rankings.

At RG: Glenn, Beachum, Newhouse - Not a lot of options, likely need to draft.
    At WR: Amendola, Gabriel, Ginn, Coleman - No talent here, NEED to draft. Ginn may be worth $2-3MM on a 1 year deal.
    At ILB: Bradham and Ogletree - Bradham could start and do well in this defense. If we can't bring him in, I'd draft early.
    At OLB: Matthews, Vernon, Golden, Griffen, Sheard, Ansah, Curry - This probably has the most depth of all positions in FA. Wouldn't be opposed to any of those listed on a 1-2 year deal below $3MM per.

Complete roster? have you seen our Edge rushers, ILB, WR IOL,Swing Tackle this team has a lot of holes to fill and this is a deep draft, pick where you are or trade back for more picks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post