Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Re: Are you a Musician? What do you play?

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    awesome to see some of you guys putting those talents to use. I'm working on finding a keyboard to start, but not sure if spending 300$ in this time is very smart.
    If you're willing to own an old acoustic upright piano, people are giving them away. They've become obsolete due to the necessity of paying to have them tuned and moved. Company here removes them and tries to find a home for them. Real Estate agent I know says they're finding more and more in sold houses. Chances are if you look hard enough, you can score something for free.

You should be able to buy a basic 5 octave electric new or used for around $100.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    I've been teaching/playing music, all instruments for 40+ years. Got involved in HS and earned a degree in Music Ed at the Cincinnati Conservatory (top 5 music school, but I hate this shithole town). Am classically trained, but my heart is in R&R, notably Progressive Rock, ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd, Tull, etc.

Hobby is collecting R&R memorabilia, as much signed and authenticated as possible.

I'll be happy to help you or anyone else here get started or further your skills.

One piece of advise (music teachers will hate me for this): Your practice time at home is 100X more important than the half hour you spend with a teacher. Have taught hundreds of students that attend lessons regularly, then do nothing at home and get nowhere. On the other hand, I've had a few students that took from me for a few months, and became pretty good musicians due to the many hours polishing material at home. A teacher is only as good as the what the student does in between lessons.

Another idea that teachers would kill me for suggesting: There are a multitude of great YouTube videos to learn just about anything. My daughter, who can read music really well, but is busy, is learning Ukulele on YouTube and kicking ass. Just played "Blackbird" by the Beatles, and Beach Boys "God Only Knows"

Again, happy to answer anyone's questions here.
    Hey Oriole way. It was 11 years ago I picked up a cheap electronic drum set and started playing. That culminated in that gig I was talking about. I have to say playing that gig was both terrifying and incredibly fun. Just the most fun ever being a guy in the band and playing with a bunch of other real and talented musicians. This thread makes me want to dust all that off and start playing again.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Hey Oriole way. It was 11 years ago I picked up a cheap electronic drum set and started playing. That culminated in that gig I was talking about. I have to say playing that gig was both terrifying and incredibly fun. Just the most fun ever being a guy in the band and playing with a bunch of other real and talented musicians. This thread makes me want to dust all that off and start playing again.
    It's never too late to get a group together & make music. Go for it.

If Carl Palmer Legacy comes to your area, it's a must-see. Guy is still killing it 50 years after ELP. The 2 guys with him on guitar and stick are insane. IMHO, the best drummer ever. Check out some videos. Current tour, of course is on hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwC_aBEUR9E

https://www.carlpalmer.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    Trombone/bass trombone for 27 years! And, should this NFL season come back to normal, I'll be performing for my 24th season in the Marching Ravens.

Shameless plug - we haven't held our auditions yet, and are waiting to see when they will happen. That was supposed to happen this coming Saturday, but obviously has been postponed. Anyone who's interested can still sign up at https://www.baltimoreravens.com/fans...ens/auditions/
    That mean you know Josh Surkosky?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    That mean you know Josh Surkosky?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    The name is not familiar.