Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I don't really care. I'll find something else to do with my family until a vaccine is approved. Although totally necessary and understood, I'm much more disappointed with my son's youth sports being cancelled.
    We just converted our Spring League Flag Football registration to the Fall. We could have gotten a refund but I really don't want to put any strain on the league. My son has been in this flag football league for 3 years now and loves it. Missing it this Spring has been rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Could be worse. You could be a Terps fan who watches them inexplicably win a game in September by 7 touchdowns and then lose all the rest.
    Touche

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I don't really care. I'll find something else to do with my family until a vaccine is approved. Although totally necessary and understood, I'm much more disappointed with my son's youth sports being cancelled.
    This. My youngest was super excited she was finally going to play soccer like her older sisters.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You're getting a little ahead of yourself, cowboy. No control arm in the Fench trial, so we don't know what pctg of the patients would've gotten better without treatment -- the enrollees could've all been ambulatory -- AND each of those two meds cause arrhythmia in a certain set of patients, so administering both could lead to fatal complications in a subset of patients.

I mean, it'd be AWESOME if it turns out to be that simple. I guess we'll start to get info on that, now that the FDA advisory is out. But don't assume we've found the magic bullet already.
    You don't give a damn about the POSSIBLE side effects when your family member is at a much higher risk doing nothing. I know. We do know how fast and what people have a greater risk of dying. The control is the rest of the sick all over the world

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    You don't give a damn about the POSSIBLE side effects when your family member is at a much higher risk doing nothing. I know.
    You don't give a damn, until your treatment kills patients via fatal arrhythmia who would have survived if you hadn't given them the medicine. That's probably not happening when we're only giving the med to a hundred patients or so. But it will happen if we indiscriminately roll it out to a million people.

They're rolling it out as an emergency treatment and continuing testing. We'll have info soon on whether it really works or not. Hope it does.

Blog Entries

If there is no 2020 season, then Ann Arbor will finally not lose to Ohio State.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If there is no 2020 season, then Ann Arbor will finally not lose to Ohio State.
    And you will finally not lose to me in debates

8. Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You're getting a little ahead of yourself, cowboy. No control arm in the Fench trial, so we don't know what pctg of the patients would've gotten better without treatment -- the enrollees could've all been ambulatory -- AND each of those two meds cause arrhythmia in a certain set of patients, so administering both could lead to fatal complications in a subset of patients.

I mean, it'd be AWESOME if it turns out to be that simple. I guess we'll start to get info on that, now that the FDA advisory is out. But don't assume we've found the magic bullet already.

The bullet just needs to be magic enough to get things back to normal.

2 things - one is much worse than other.

1) FDA regulations are bypassed.
    2) Businesses are closed, people lose their jobs, people become poor.

2) is worse than 1).

Some people seem to be completely ignoring that 2) is worse than 1).

All of those things that you mention aren't anywhere near as bad as what we're doing right now. Stop doing what we're doing right now, and get everyone the Q+Z. Getting everyone the Q+Z is a much better outcome than what we have right now.

I'm not arguing, at all, that what you're saying is wrong. What I'm saying is that what we're doing right now is much worse than the Q+Z alternative.

The economy is going in the dumper. Open it up. People are currently dying from the virus, give them the cure.

You mention "could lead to fatal complications" - well, people are dying now. You'd be replacing people who are definitely dying with people who possibly could die. That's a win.

Also this - "we don't know what pctg of the patients would've gotten better without treatment"
    So what? The French study is 0.1% dead. Same as flu. On its face, that's a good number. It doesn't really matter what the number is for something else. 0.1% - good enough. Go for it.

Also, as an aside, this French study is an update of an earlier French study, and I assume there will be further updates as the days go by. The earlier French study had a control group, of people who didn't get treatment, and in that much smaller study, Q+Z = 100% cured, and the control, who got nothing, almost none were cured. It wasn't close at all. Q+Z were much much better than nothing.

Blog Entries

Except no one asked if we would survive life without football. You are providing the only reasonable answer... to a completely different question.

The question I was asking (hypothetically) is, how the league would deal with contracts, service time, etc. if there are no games?

By asking it I was in no way hoping to spark a debate on what the most important questions are, and I fully realized not everyone will care about my hypothetical question. (Or perhaps only read the title of the post, and not the post itself).
    I think the owners would invoke “Force Majeure” if the season were to be canceled or shortened by more than 25%.

https://www.mwe.com/insights/force-m...ked-questions/

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post
    I think the owners would invoke “Force Majeure” if the season were to be canceled or shortened by more than 25%.

Yes, so if you extend this concept to the fullest:

• Broadcasters don't pay their 2020 rights fees
    • Teams don't pay players game checks
    • Teams keep season ticket money, with no obligation to provide games

Presumably the players still keep any bonus money already paid (don't know if some kick in at beginning of league year, or if they kick in when final 53 roster is set) and they get credited for a year of service time. But I doubt they go to that extreme. I think everyone will have motivation to renegotiate some compromise solution.

11. Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Yes, so if you extend this concept to the fullest:

• Broadcasters don't pay their 2020 rights fees
    • Teams don't pay players game checks
    • Teams keep season ticket money, with no obligation to provide games

Presumably the players still keep any bonus money already paid (don't know if some kick in at beginning of league year, or if they kick in when final 53 roster is set) and they get credited for a year of service time. But I doubt they go to that extreme. I think everyone will have motivation to renegotiate some compromise solution.
    FWIW, that's what MLB did. All players accrue a year of service time (so the Dodgers deal for Betts looks quite bad now), but they will only get a paid for a portion of the season, ranging from $170m total (which I've read elsewhere is ~4% of total payroll for the season) to 100% if all games are played.

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    So players got service time. Are they getting paid now, too?
    Their salaries for 2020 will be prorated. If teams play an 81-game schedule, players will get 50% of their full, agreed-upon money. If they play 120 games, they will receive 74%. Performance-bonus clauses will be prorated too.

If the season is canceled, the only payment players will receive is the $170 million advance teams guaranteed players to be distributed in April and May. The money is essentially a down payment on salaries for 2020. Should games be played, it will be factored into paychecks. If no games are played, the players get to keep the $170 million without repayment.

The agreement adds that players cannot sue for their salaries -- an important distinction even though Paragraph 11 almost certainly would have held up in a grievance setting.
    Link to source

I think the NFL has some added obstacles. One is the salary cap. Do teams get to keep the extra space they currently have? Is there no rollover from 2020 to 2021? Another is the cash floor. I suspect a solution for the latter would be included in an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA, while the NFL alone would come up with a solution for the former.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan View Post

As your linked article (very good, BTW) notes, you have to look at the definition of Force Majeure in the contract - many such definitions do not expressly cover pandemics - and in any case the the law can vary by state on interpretation as well as whether FM can be invoked without such a clause. I presume player contracts state they are governed by the law of the state of the team. Some states (NY, Texas) apparently do not allow such clauses to apply unless the event is expressly identified. Also, the "impossibility of performance" defense can be equally difficult to invoke. (For more detail than you probably want, see https://www.natlawreview.com/article...lity-and-other). Lots of litigation to come soon, I'm sure.

Seems to me the League might seek to amend the CBA to avoid or minimize the possibility of disparate treatment of teams which can lead to competitive inequalities.