Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    If the infection rate nationwide goes way down, they could start a compressed preseason as late as September and starting in October play a 13 game regular season, dropping the second game against each of their division rivals.

There would have to be constant testing of players and personnel and rigorous uprooting, of course, of anyone testing positive. The whole thing would be like a house of cards and people would be on pins and needles for the whole season and postseason.

Fast and cheap testing is not enough - they will have to get an unexpected breakthrough on a vaccine.

I will do my best to enjoy the 2020 draft.
    Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine w/ Zpack takes care of it. 3 days of those 2 drugs - 1 death out of 1000 patients. Same as the flu. With that treatment.

These are already FDA approved drugs, and the FDA approved them for coronavirus on Saturday, and announced it on Sunday.

1 death out of 1000 - provided 3 days of drug treatment. If someone is really sick, about to die, rates get worse.

If the hospitals are actually paying attention and want to cure their patients, we should be doing ok pretty soon. September is a long way away.

Re: What if there is no 2020 season?

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine w/ Zpack takes care of it. 3 days of those 2 drugs - 1 death out of 1000 patients. Same as the flu. With that treatment.
    You're getting a little ahead of yourself, cowboy. No control arm in the Fench trial, so we don't know what pctg of the patients would've gotten better without treatment -- the enrollees could've all been ambulatory -- AND each of those two meds cause arrhythmia in a certain set of patients, so administering both could lead to fatal complications in a subset of patients.

I mean, it'd be AWESOME if it turns out to be that simple. I guess we'll start to get info on that, now that the FDA advisory is out. But don't assume we've found the magic bullet already.

That would suck without football this fall. I wouldn’t be happy but at the same time we need to do our part to kick this virus to the curb so we can have our freedoms back. I hate seeing people die from this. Stopping further people from dying from this is much bigger than football. I hate being quarantined and this virus as much as all of you but we have to in order to kill this virus and I wish I could punch this virus square in the face right now. Anyway I just want this virus to die and nobody else to die from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Would it be possible to start the league in October or even November? SB in March or April with the benefit of not having to wait 2 months until the Draft lol.
    I would honestly love to have the season start in November and go till April. That would be the whole winter and it would make winter tolerable. Having the SB in early February is ok but the rest of February and all of March are long and those last 2 months of winter feel like 4 months.

I think it can happen, but with caveats. I think it's vital that the 15 minute tests can be mass produced. If they become readily available we could see teams enter camp under constant testing and in quarantine. Imagine each team's camp being treated like its own leper colony. Almost no one in or out...very little contact with the outside world to diminish the chance of infecting any of the players. The teams would likely remain that way for the entirety of the season.

Then you would probably see the entire season played with no one in attendance. Television revenue is way too important to ignore. It would also be important for the national psyche to play a season. I doubt we are going to have much normalcy this summer and by September we're going to need this.

It can happen.

This is the most important issue in the world now - its not like the world medical community are going to sit on their hands doing nothing until a vaccine is finished. At some point sooner than you think they will figure out treatments that reduce the fatality rate and hospitalization rate significantly. It’s not realistic from a medical or morale point of view to say that people can’t gather in public until a vaccine is produced in 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I'm starting to hear and see speculation that there is no way the NFL will start on time and play a normal season. Even a report Kirk Herbstreit saying he'd be "shocked" if the 2020 NFL or college football seasons take place.

Forget whether you believe. Hypothetically what would it mean?

Of course we'd all be disappointed but it might portend problems bigger than a sports fix however.

I'm also intrigued what it would mean on the business side. I saw that Messi and teammates with the Barcelona soccer club are taking a 70% pay cut in order to keep paying stadium employees.

Would players get their full pay?

Would a player like Wolfe become a free agent again in 2021 after not playing a snap in 2020?

Would a player like Lamar be one year closer to free agency, or would 2020 be treated as a "redshirt junior" season for him?

Would the year of service be wiped out for free agency, but counted for player service time?

Could be some interesting negotiations.

Let's hope it doesn't come to it.
    Would mean I wouldn't have to watch Penn state inexplicably lose to at least one team they should beat this year.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Would mean I wouldn't have to watch Penn state inexplicably lose to at least one team they should beat this year.
    Could be worse. You could be a Terps fan who watches them inexplicably win a game in September by 7 touchdowns and then lose all the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Could be worse. You could be a Terps fan who watches them inexplicably win a game in September by 7 touchdowns and then lose all the rest.
    You have to admit as a Terps fan you knew the letdown was coming.

Here's the crazy thing. NFL can't expect season ticket holders to pay if no season but the players can't expect to get paid either.

How TF are the pro leagues handling that? Compensation for players?

If this coronavirus wraps up by June/July, and if a safe medication solution takes hold by July/August, the "safest" way the NFL could have any games would be to play at least a partial season before empty stadiums, or delay the start (and end of the season) by perhaps 6 to 10 weeks. The strike shortened 1982 and 1987 strikes NFL strikes woundup reducing those seasons to 9 and 15 games (included some replacement games) respectively.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I don't really care. I'll find something else to do with my family until a vaccine is approved. Although totally necessary and understood, I'm much more disappointed with my son's youth sports being cancelled.