Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Favorite Wrestling Themes.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just can't see guys who can't talk being any sort of draw when you are stuck doing television with no audience. You need guys like Piper and the Rock at a time like this. Instead they have champs that roar and whine but none who can talk.
    Blame the company. Look at what Dean Ambrose was in WWE vs. what Jon Moxley is in AEW. They have guys who can talk but not when you have Vince and these other guys in the back scripting every single word of every promo everyone delivers. They need to let guys be themselves more.

back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

DX's theme. Hogan's "Voodoo Child" intro. Real American still makes me smile, it's more of a retro thing than loving the actual song. The Undertaker. The Rock. And finally, Austin's Glass Breaking. I still have that as the wakeup alarm music on my phone. My wife hates it, lol....
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I'm old school when it comes to wrestling and believe in the importance of protecting someone's finisher. As far as that goes, the Brock Drew match was a disgrace. 4 claymores and 3 F5's???? Why do those finishers mean anything in future matches? It is something that has gotten more and more out of control. Like the sidekick being used as a random spot in a match or the stunner being used as anything other than a finisher.

Back in the day guys didn't kick out of the DDT, or the Rude Awakening, or the tombstone piledriver. Guys didn't escape from the figure 4 in the middle of the ring, or the sharpshooter. When Shawn Michaels hit sweet chin music a pin followed, when stone cold hit the stunner it was over and the finisher was important. I understand in rare instances there were matches where multiple finishers were used or there were multiple false finishes but it was very rare with this garbage now a days its almost every fucking match.

Its why I try to stick to watching matches from the 80's and 90's.

Ok I'm done yelling at the cloud.
    Completely agree. Sometimes have multiple finishers in a match is warranted and done extremely well. For example, Triple H vs Undertaker Hell in Cell Shawn Michaels referee. Shawn hits Taker with sweet chin music right into a Pedigree, Taker kicks out at almost 3. But it served the story being told in the match.

Jake Roberts once said, if he wasn't winning a match he wouldn't use the DDT. No point. He would go for it to pop the crowd but the opponent would get out of it. Protected his finisher. Shame the DDT is just a transition move today.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

We might never again see a match like the 60 minute time limit draw between Ric Flair and Barry Windham in the 80s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    We might never again see a match like the 60 minute time limit draw between Ric Flair and Barry Windham in the 80s.
    That kind of match is never coming back. Do they even announce hour time limits? Fans aren't going to watch a match where a Bruno Sammartino has Perdro Morales in a headlock for 15 minutes. You are going to get a MMA type submission match instead with counters and positioning. Pro wrestling is now a TV product as opposed to being live even based. The pace that they would need for an hour long match would be too intense for any wrestler to handle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Blame the company. Look at what Dean Ambrose was in WWE vs. what Jon Moxley is in AEW. They have guys who can talk but not when you have Vince and these other guys in the back scripting every single word of every promo everyone delivers. They need to let guys be themselves more.

I have not been impressed by AEW at all. The whole stabbed in the eye thing that Moxley did was really dumb. AEW for the most part is all the dumb shit in the WWE but with smaller guys. The only exception is MJF who is really tremendous. That's exactly the kind of wrestler who should be on top while they are stuck in empty arenas.

I have not been impressed by AEW at all. The whole stabbed in the eye thing that Moxley did was really dumb. AEW for the most part is all the dumb shit in the WWE but with smaller guys. The only exception is MJF who is really tremendous. That's exactly the kind of wrestler who should be on top while they are stuck in empty arenas.
    Except the difference is that all the dumb stuff in AEW is treated as prelim and they take care of their big picture stuff while WWE has a overly scripted feel and their most important storylines are treated with disregard to continuity. AEW pre-corona was killing it every week and they were coming off of their last ppv event as good as ever.

Blog Entries

I could not disagree with this more. I have watched every episode and outside of a segment here or there, there is no "dumb shit like in WWE". I must have missed the months long cuck angle that had zero payoff and got nobody over, or the guy carrying around a covered cage for weeks only to have it be a puppet spider and have the angle dropped a week later in AEW. I mean I can understand thinking something like the recent Matt Hardy stuff as dumb, but even that is going to have an actual payoff to it at some point. AEW also kills stuff that isn't getting over (Nightmare Collective) very quickly while WWE lets stuff like that run on for months.

Everything else that has been dumb or may come across as dumb like Marko Stunt or Orange Cassidy (who I absolutely love) is treated as it should be and never pushed into the main.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    Except the difference is that all the dumb stuff in AEW is treated as prelim and they take care of their big picture stuff while WWE has a overly scripted feel and their most important storylines are treated with disregard to continuity. AEW pre-corona was killing it every week and they were coming off of their last ppv event as good as ever.
    Yup.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    AEW has a time limit on every match and has gone to a draw several times. None have been 60 minutes, but they will at some point have a 60 minute match IMO.

Omega and PAC just had a 30 minute iron match on free TV a few weeks ago.
    back on twitter