Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

There can be games this fall with full stadiums. Here's how.

There's lots of variations to the plan I'll present below, but everything depends on there being cheap fast testing. The plan below amounts to everyone getting tested before they come into the game. There are two types of test, RNA tests for presence of the virus, and serum tests for the presence of antibodies to the virus. The first kind is more accurate, but much more expensive, and the second type is cheaper but doesn't always show presence of coronavirus for the first few days you have it (and are contagious). I'd rather use the first type of test because then my risk of going to games is minimized. But how do we make this cheap enough to make it work? See below.

It is possible to use the more expensive but more accurate tests because of two facts.

1) Tests can be pooled so that up to 100 people can be combined into one test.
    2) The tests can be fast. Abbot just got a test approved that gives results in less than 15 minutes.

So the plan is easy. Everyone gets tested before they come into the stadium. You go through at most two stages. The first stage is a grouped test where your sample is combined with 69 other people. Since our stadium holds about 70,000 people, this would use about 1000 tests. Most likely your group will have no positives (by fall it should be less than 1% chance) and you get to go into the stadium. If your group tests positive, you would take an individual test to determine who in the group was positive.

The test stations would be open all day on game days so that you could take it right when you got to the stadium and before you go to tailgate. This would minimize the mad rush towards game time. It is a little inconvenient, but a lot less inconvenient than cancelling the whole football season or having teams play to empty stadiums.

Re: There can be games this fall with full stadiums. Here's how.

Kinda premature the season is still a ways off. Good luck trying to get thousands of amped up fans who’ve been drinking to cooperate with having to do something like this. Everyone wearing Ravens themed outbreak suits would be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertN View Post
    So the plan is easy.
    When it comes to a large public and the coronavirus, nothing is easy.

Blog Entries

IMO in the future there will be "stadiums" with no public seating except for luxury boxes. The uber rich will have in/outdoor spaces that will accommodate their entourage, but Joe/Jane Q Public will be viewing their games from home on some sort of advanced wireless cable TV/phone service and pay a monthly premium. There won't even be a need for parking lots or light rail service. Even before the Corona-virus the average person was finding it more and more difficult to get to a game in person. I won't be around to see it, but that is my advanced/modern age view into the future of sports... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    When it comes to a large public and the coronavirus, nothing is easy.
    Ok, I agree. "Easy" is the wrong word. "Doable" is the right word. Also, people would get tested as they got to the stadium so we're not talking about trying to herd drunk fans.

Blog Entries

And after someone tests positive, you are reminded that you just called for over 70,000 people to head toward a stadium where, based on where it is, they no choice but to be in close proximity, and you don’t know how many positive tests are among them.

Which then means that you don’t know how much it has spread, just from that gathering, compared to what it was before that gathering.

I would let the players play this season but no fans at the stadium. Just pump in recorded crowd noise of the home teams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    I would let the players play this season but no fans at the stadium. Just pump in recorded crowd noise of the home teams.
    ss, you don't have to "pump in recorded crowd noise" because the babble of the three-man TV crew will be enough squawking for the TV listener... Bc

How’s any sport supposed to stay in business playing in empty stadiums and arenas? Don’t know for sure but think I’d lose interest after a while. Tight game late in the fourth quarter, home defense needs a stop on fourth down to seal it, and it’s stone cold silent. I don’t know, that doesn’t sounds so great. Tons of stadium workers lose their jobs also.

I think it really depends on how the numbers start to change over time and how people adapt to the idea of the risk the virus presents.....Even right now the virus is not a death sentence as many of us were exposed here in New Orleans and we are still here and it's very possible that things are going to quiet down fairly soon.

This virus is really good at moving around so it's likely that everybody's going to be exposed to it it's sometime or another

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

So, only workers who test negative will be allowed to work. What if you don’t have enough workers?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, only workers who test negative will be allowed to work. What if you don’t have enough workers?
    Then every paying fan is limited to one hot dog each... Bc