Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - EDGE Thread

Whoh! Hold the phone!

Did you see the piece Tony Lombardi wrote in the RSR - Lombardi's Way column that begins with a story about why Suh wasn't interested in the Ravens (hope I get the link right https://russellstreetreport.com/2020...ardis-way/suh/ ). One of the later stories in the column was about a draft scam Gross-Matos perpetrated on the Pats. The story says that G-M was doing a virtual workout for Pats and used a relative who bears a resemblance to run the 40 for him. But he got busted. If true (I mean nobody could be that dumb, could they?), that will cost him much more than the millions he hoped to gain. Just incredible.

And I take back all the good things I said about him ^^^.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensromp View Post
    Whoh! Hold the phone!

Did you see the piece Tony Lombardi wrote in the RSR - Lombardi's Way column that begins with a story about why Suh wasn't interested in the Ravens (hope I get the link right https://russellstreetreport.com/2020...ardis-way/suh/ ). One of the later stories in the column was about a draft scam Gross-Matos perpetrated on the Pats. The story says that G-M was doing a virtual workout for Pats and used a relative who bears a resemblance to run the 40 for him. But he got busted. If true (I mean nobody could be that dumb, could they?), that will cost him much more than the millions he hoped to gain. Just incredible.

And I take back all the good things I said about him ^^^.
    It's all a trick by the Pats to get him in the third round (I'm only half joking here, lol)

But honestly, if true, there is stupid and there is this. He had some red flags prior too.

Guys, it's April 1

Damn!

Epenesa's done, see previous page

So, is Lombardi’s Gross-Matos story true or AFJ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Epenesa's done, see previous page
    Murphy's law, I actually had work to at the time I planned to check out the AJ film you posted....then I got sidetracked by a ILB thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here, I'll make placeholders. I will post two all-snaps vids vs better competition, preferably most recent year. These two are courtesy of Hash. I've used a lot of Deluded Yinzer vids too.

AJ EPENESA, DE, IOWA

6'5", 275 lbs at combine

0:08 (RDE) not much here
    0:16 (RDE) kinda sorta chipped by the TE and contained
    0:32 (RDE) quick throws the other way are negating him
    0:39 (RDE) stunt, nowhere to go, good pickup by LG
    0:46 (RDE) QB assignment, loses RB
    0:53 (RDE) another stunt, nothing there. Minnesota throwing a lot of short quick passes
    1:02 (RDE) good thing they ran the ball. LT did nothing
    1:09 (RDE) throws the LT off him, but run the other way
    1:18 (RDE) everybody on Iowa's DL destroy their assignment
    1:26 (RDE) double teamed and contained
    1:41 (RDE) good flow to the RB, however just watched the tackle
    1:50 (RDE) not sure what he's doing here
    2:00 (RDE) nice play here shedding the blocker, another quick out throw
    2:10 (RDE) triple teamed (TE/RB/LT) and neutralized
    2:26 (RDE) perfect run D. Stands up LT, sheds block and tackles RB at LOS. highlighted
    2:33 (RDE) triple teamed by three OL o.O
    2:40 (RDE) double teamed again. going nowhere
    2:50 (RDE) drives LT #70 back five yards and affects RBs angle. highlighted
    2:56 (RDE) very next play, swims right by LT and affects throw. highlighted

3:03 (RDE) now shows a rip move to creature pressure, QB scrambles upfield
    3:42 (RDE) runs right around LT and shows good angle of pursuit but juuust can't quite get there. great throw
    4:02 (RDE) loses initial battle but stays with play
    4:11 (RDE) okay. I giggled. wow

I make the point here of showing where he is lined up to illustrate how Iowa used him; this has been discussed before.

THAT was a monster game.
    Lol, #70 is happy as hell AJ is going pro.
    This was some fun tape and honestly I stopped somewhere around the 4 minute mark.

#70 couldn't handle him. I take account of how the opposing coaching staff treats a player.
    Early in the game they let #70 try AJ w/o help and I mean very early

1st-play: short set from the OT, AJ is easily able to post on him w/ 1 arm (left) drive him back and read - look how much farther into the backfield AJ has driven his OL compared to the rest of the DL

2nd-play: soft set OT appears to give ground- either way AJ turns the corner on him and ends up bwithin ~2 yard of the QB at the throw on a screen….lol, and thus endeth the#70 vs AJ 1-on-1 experiment
    Last edited by edromeo; 04-01-2020 at 04:54 PM.

AJ has a great first power punch into the tackle showing he has play strength. The knock on him is athleticism, really??

Blog Entries

Minn. coaches aren't about to let AJ mess up there whole offense:
    They set the RB to his side and have the TE chip before releasing into a his route:

:16s - TE chips then releases, the RB is kept in on AJ's side (L)
    good get off at the snap, AJ is the first man off the DL and still drives #70 back even w/ the chip

:31s throwing away from AJ to the (R) AJ still gets good push and easily 1-arm posts and read and releases from the OT

:38 - Posts and reads peek-a-boo w/ OT play goes otherside

:40 - T & E stunt inside - play goes otherside

:49 - Unblocked on a Read-option concept closest thing to a negative play thus far

:55 - Inside Stunt - Quick throw

1:02: - Good hand fight wins with outside rip move - BUT play went inside on a draw play, might have been fooled by the quasi-pass set from the OT (2nd possible negative play)
    I think on 1st downs the Iowa DL or at least AJ is supposed to read and not commit to pass early

Blog Entries

1:29 Good get off, 1-arm post and bull rushes #70 separates and I think the flash of color moves the QB off his spot

After watching Epenesa's vs Minnesota tape I'm starting to respect his technique shown. At first I was watching to confirm his very pedestrian vertical, broad and 3 cone in his tape then came away with noticing he can be a technician with his hands instead of being just a brute strength bull rush guy. I don't know if he'll be a hit right away though I can see him developing into one in about 4 years.