Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

2020 NFL Draft - EDGE Thread

Due to some recent demand I've created said thread. I'll try to have a review for these guys by the draft:

K'Lavon Chaisson
    A.J. Epenesa
    Yetur Gross-Matos
    Julian Okwara
    Terrell Lewis
    Curtis Weaver
    Josh Uche
    Jonathan Greenard
    Bradlee Anae
    Jabari Zuniga

...and if there's more time I'll do Chase Young and some lower rd prospects. In the meantime feel free to chime in.

Requests
    Kareem Khalid
    Alex Highsmith
    Joe Gaziano

MY GRADES (take them for better or worse)
    Rd 1 - Yetur Gross-Matos
    Late Rd 1 - AJ Epenesa
    Early Rd 2 - K'Lavon Chaisson
    Late Rd 2 - Julian Okwara
    Rd 3 - Curtis Weaver
    Rd 4 -
    Late/UDFA - Terrell Lewis
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 04-11-2020 at 03:05 AM.

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - EDGE Thread

Epenesa is the top of my wish list for sure. Well, Chaisson is but I don’t think he even comes close to 28. Epenesa seems attainable and would be a home run imo. He’s an easy top 15 talent.

If you got time, could you add Kareem Khalid to the list. I see him mentioned as a perfect fit for us by Brett Kollman.

Blog Entries

Would anyone be interested in discussing particular plays from game cut-ups 1 game at a time?

This past season I felt naked watching the Ravens not have a true "Play like a Raven" all-pro in our front 7 to strike fear into the hearts of opposing offenses all while emerging as a fan favorite and team leader. I give Wink and EDC a ton of credit for going shopping on the clearence rack and making a run defense that was respectable. K'Lavon Chaisson will be able to carry the tradition of the next great "play like a Raven" front 7 defender. K'Lavon Chaisson brings the versatility, attiude and athletic ability that we desperately need in our front 7. Icing on the cake is the fact that he was awarded one of the highest honor among LSU players, the prestigious #18 jersey. K'Lavon Chaisson not only brings the necessary #18 intangibles he also brings the confidence by saying he is the most valuable player in this draft. Chaisson checks every box without a doubt for what we need for our team and will be able to carry on the legacy left from Boulware, Ray Lewis, Suggs etc. I would trade up for him in a Nano second.

Epenesa playing at EDGE? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    I agree, at least as a 3-4 edge. I don't think he has the speed or agility to play in space at a high enough level.

He might be able to bulk up, and play as a down linemen in a 3-4, but I would have some concerns about his functional strength for that kind of role.

I think his best fit in the NFL is as a 4-3 DE. He really seems made for that role. So, I don't think he would be at his best on our team.

Then again, I do also tend to believe that talented players will find a way to perform at a high level. So, maybe it could work, but I would still have some concerns.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    How do you define "edge" and why don't you think he can play it?

What game/plays would you suggest we watch that can show what you're saying?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    I agree, at least as a 3-4 edge. I don't think he has the speed or agility to play in space at a high enough level.
    What are the speed / agility metrics you think he doesn't meet? What 'space' are you referring?

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    I think his best fit in the NFL is as a 4-3 DE. He really seems made for that role. So, I don't think he would be at his best on our team.
    I agree that his best fit is a 43 DE. I think the difference between a 43 DE and a 34 Rush OLB is misunderstood/overstated. They really are not that different in terms of roles and responsibilities and that is why most football lump them together as 'edge rushers' and its why rush "OLB" successfully despite their "LB" franchise tags.

Also, the Ravens, like most NFL defenses, play more 4-man defensive line fronts i.e. "43" then they play base 34.
    Iirc its ~65% "43" and 35% "34" base.
    Therefore AJ is a fit in the defensive front the team plays most often.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    What are the speed / agility metrics you think he doesn't meet? What 'space' are you referring?

I agree that his best fit is a 43 DE. I think the difference between a 43 DE and a 34 Rush OLB is misunderstood/overstated. They really are not that different in terms of roles and responsibilities and that is why most football lump them together as 'edge rushers' and its why rush "OLB" successfully despite their "LB" franchise tags.

Also, the Ravens, like most NFL defenses, play more 4-man defensive line fronts i.e. "43" then they play base 34.
    Iirc its ~65% "43" and 35% "34" base.
    Therefore AJ is a fit in the defensive front the team plays most often.
    This is going to be a fundamental difference of opinion.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    This is going to be a fundamental difference of opinion.
    I never viewed disagreement as a reason not have a conversation / discussion.

I come to this message board to talk football. I assume people post to talk football.

I don't understand a lot of the comments being made about AJ and his role on this team.
    My responses to the opinions posted aren't personal or mean spirited its in a effort to have actual discussion about prospects and football in general.

I guess occasionally I expect people will respond to the content of my posts and answer my questions or tell me what about the facts presented they disagree with

Blog Entries

A edge guy that I like that doesn't get much mention here and by the draft media because he missed the combine is Josh Uche.
    The cut-up above is from the Penn State game and you get to see a full range of his skillset at edge and as off the ball LB.