Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 16171819 LastLast

Re: Ravens NOT signing Brockers

Quote Originally Posted by webbrick2007 View Post
    It's okay our D is too old anyway
    Seem like we tried to get younger and failed last year having to bring in journeymen linebackers

We need to hit on the draft with a couple front seven studs
    Probably need to trade up
    Yeah with that pathetic 14-2 record and all they really need to start getting it together and start filling all these gaping holes.....

I think EDC remains aggressive. Ozzie missed on some players in free agency except for steve smith and weddle. but wow he really messed up with that matt elam pick in the draft. the only pick he hit on, was the 2017 draft with humph, 2018 and 2014 draft. and could not sign good free agents. mainly also for that massive contract. and then somehow resigned players he shouldn't have like jefferson. it was time for ozzie to go lol. i think edc has someone in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Seems to me The Ravens wanted to add more pass rush juice to their defensive line and get faster without substituting their ability to defend against the run. Having Micheal Pierce and Brandon Williams start at the same time may have been great at defending against the run and keeping the inside linebackers clean along with occupying space to allow others to get after the quarterback but neither could get after the passer consistently. They probably would get worn down faster then a defensive linemen that is 280 or 300 pounds as well. So The Ravens potentially signing Micheal Brocker would have not only gave them a solid run defender but he also could get after the passer better than some if not all of our defensive linemen last year if not mistake. Brocker versatility would have been beneficial as well because Micheal Pierce and Brandon Williams are better suited as nose tackles. Having a guy like Brandon Williams lining at the 3 technique isn't ideal for him atleast not consistently.

Derek Wolfe( PFF grade is 68.9 overall in 2019) has only had 3 healthy seasons in his eight year career and he may have had a career year sack wise last year but sacks numbers don't always mean the player is better or tell the a whole story.He also wouldn't be versatile or as stout against the run as Brocker if not mistake. Dontari Poe( PFF grade was 71.2 overall in 2019) had 4 sacks last year and hasn't been a bad player throughout his career but he wasn't better than Micheal Brocker last year according to PFF. Damon Harrison or Snack Harrison(PFF grade was 63.2 overall in 2019) isn't the type of defensive linemen The Ravens would envision having to start along side Brandon Williams and he had a down year last year.

Marcell Dareus( PFF grade was 62.6 overall in 2019) is again another guy I don't think The Ravens ideally want starting next to Brandon Williams because he's nothing but another big defensive linemen that doesn't have the ability to get after the passer consistently at this point in his career atleast not as well as Micheal Brockers to my understanding. Overall the only defensive linemen you mention that had a better overall grade than Brockers who could have been just as versatile was Shelby Harris(PFF Grade was 76.8 overall in 2019)but he was re-signed by The Broncos yesterday.

I don't think anyone should panic over The Ravens missing out on Micheal Brockers(PFF was 74.6 overall in 2019) but I don't think it's wise to brush it off by saying he was just a run stopper it's no big deal. Brocker would have been helpful for The Ravens but the players you mention outside of Shelby Harris don't seem like upgrades from Micheal Pierce or even Micheal Brockers for that matter. Some if not most of them didn't have a healthy 2019 season and weren't as good as in years past in 2019.
    You mention Wolfe having a career year but so did Brockers before last year he was primarily known as a run stuffer. So the question is what changed? To me it's obvious the previous year Suh lined up inside next to Donald. Last year Brockers did. We don't have an Aaron Donald and paying for that production and hoping it translates next to Williams to me always was the wrong move.

Snack and Dareus did have down years but both are capable of playing to Brockers level and won't demand longterm deals. I don't like devoting 20m of the cap to Williams and Brockers. I think the smart play is what we did with Wolfe and hopefully we sign one more guy who is capable of bouncing back from a down year and get someone in the draft.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    Just resign Peko to same deal as Ellis. Sign Wolfe to 1 yr deal $4-5M. Draft a DE/DT.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    You mention Wolfe having a career year but so did Brockers before last year he was primarily known as a run stuffer. So the question is what changed? To me it's obvious the previous year Suh lined up inside next to Donald. Last year Brockers did. We don't have an Aaron Donald and paying for that production and hoping it translates next to Williams to me always was the wrong move.

Snack and Dareus did have down years but both are capable of playing to Brockers level and won't demand longterm deals. I don't like devoting 20m of the cap to Williams and Brockers. I think the smart play is what we did with Wolfe and hopefully we sign one more guy who is capable of bouncing back from a down year and get someone in the draft.

I stated that Derek Wolfe had a career year sack wise in 2019 but for the most part he didn't have a career year. According to PFF Micheal Brockers had one of his better seasons last year in which he had 3 sacks even though his career best sack wise has been 5. Brockers is a solid run defender if not a pretty good run defender that brings a little juice to the pass rushing game. You can try to compare him to Snack and Dareus as much as you want but the reality is that Brocker was a better than them last year and this is a what have you done for me lately type league. Snacks and Dareus are both big guys that weigh more than 315 pounds while a guy like Brockers weighs about 305 pound and can play at nose tackle and defensive end. He is more athletic then those guys which is exactly what The Ravens wanted and probably why they decided to move on from Micheal Pierce.

It's easy to say that Snack and Dareus are capable of playing to Brockers level but the reality is that one was considering retirement after a down at the age of 31 and the other has always been inconsistent with his performance and never really leave up to his first round status as his previous team expected. There really is no guarantee with either one and Brockers cap number was only suppose to be 5 million in 2019 if he was going to be a Raven which isn't high in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Good post Jazz.

What about Mike Daniels to fit that run stuffer with pass rush ability role?

He was very good in his prime and it's been injuries more than a drop of in talent that have hurt him. He's only 30 so, while it might be age, it could also be a run of bad luck. He's injured one foot, then the other, then an arm in the past 2 years but he's apparently played well when he has been on the field. (PFF 70.1 last season) In a poll on this Detroit Lions site only 13% of their fans didn't want him back at any price which suggests that he was pretty good despite the injuries. https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2020/...s-mike-daniels

We've seen Suggs and Yanda return from injuries to play well at more advanced ages. I'm not saying he's that good but he has a higher upside than anyone else on the market if he returns to form.
    Mike Daniels would have been cool and I wanted to see The Ravens sign him last year but this injuries have to be a concern. The Ravens signed Derek Wolfe so I'm not sure if they would be willing to sign Mike Daniels at the moment.

honestly i think i'm happier with an iDL that can get sacks and costs less than a better-overall iDL run-stopper. i really think the D needed to be retooled this offseason to play complementary to the O. we had early leads most games last season (especially down the stretch). teams were pass-heavy after Q1 to get back into the game. with this O, give me a team that can rush the passer over a team that can stop the run any day

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by RavensNest
    Just resign Peko
    That'll have to wait because he and Michael Pierce and my sister-in-law are about to have lunch. Come back in about 4 hours... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    That'll have to wait because he and Michael Pierce and my sister-in-law are about to have lunch. Come back in about 4 hours... Bc
    Why would they do that? They won't get any of the food...

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    honestly i think i'm happier with an iDL that can get sacks and costs less than a better-overall iDL run-stopper. i really think the D needed to be retooled this offseason to play complementary to the O. we had early leads most games last season (especially down the stretch). teams were pass-heavy after Q1 to get back into the game. with this O, give me a team that can rush the passer over a team that can stop the run any day
    I agree except for this one amateur observation. Last year we controlled games by keeping the other team's offense off the field. Ironically, we were vulnerable to teams that could run and keep our offense off the field. Brockers, Cambell and Williams would have made it very difficult for anyone to run on us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Why would they do that? They won't get any of the food...
    My sister-in-law has been hoarding food since 1998. That should last those three for a meal, maybe two... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what i'm saying. I'm not making a size, athleticism and usage comp. I'm saying that he is Jared Allen.
    Wait. For real?

Epenesa would be a helluva get, then. Any real chance he falls to #28?