Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Should the draft be postponed?

Quote Originally Posted by G54377 View Post
    It should be done remotely without crowds and what not, but everyone isn't going to want to lose out on the $$$ related. There's no way any event should happen in a month.
    It's not going to be an event. Just Roger in an office, or even at home.

I don't think it will lose money. They won't have Las Vegas events but interest will be higher than ever in the absence of any competition. Even if takings on the day are down a little the league will benefit in the longer term from being the sole focus of the sports world.

I am an old school draft junkie from 40 years ago, I will enjoy the draft this year without all the BS that has come along the last 10 years or so, just give me the picks and the player info and I am good, don’t need to see a bunch of guys in clown suits hugging Roger

3. Re: Should the draft be postponed?

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Good. More decisions will be made based on how they look on a football field, which is how it should be anyway.

Unless you’re just already giving up hope on having a football season this year btw there won’t be much of an opportunity to postpone this thing anyway. Very optimistically maybe everything gets back to normal by July. Have pro days and interviews then, have the draft in August, and then these kids are supposed to learn their playbooks and start playing for their new teams in September? That’s pretty crunched.

Have the draft now, let the kids study their playbooks at home, and then if everything does resume in late summer they can at least have a minicamp and a few practices with their team before being thrown into the fire instead of spending that time running sprints and benching with no clue who they’ll even be playing for.
    Things will get back to normal sooner than the average person thinks.

Agree with "have the draft now".

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Do it remotely, it is essentially a made for TV event anyway, you have a couple weeks to remake it as such remotely...
    Didn't it used to be done by conference call in the old days?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Didn't it used to be done by conference call in the old days?
    The first draft was in a meeting room with names written on a chalk board and no media coverage. Couldn't find anything saying it used to be a conference call. Draft was broadcasted live for the first time in 1980.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...423-story.html
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

I want them to keep the draft where it is.

When people (generally) feel ill-prepared, I'll take the Pepsi challenge with our GM heads-up against any franchise in the league.

We will be prepared to draft.

No. During WW II FDR said that the country needs baseball.

We need distractions at time like this. Pro golf without fans would help too.

Blog Entries

Commissioner tells teams the draft will proceed as scheduled :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-as-scheduled/

" Goodell informed all clubs in a memo dated March 26, a copy of which PFT has obtained. “Earlier today, the [NFL Management Council Executive Committee] discussed the issues relating to the Draft. The Committee was unanimous and unequivocal that the Draft should go forward as scheduled on April 23-25, 2020.” "

I agree... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Commissioner tells teams the draft will proceed as scheduled :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-as-scheduled/

" Goodell informed all clubs in a memo dated March 26, a copy of which PFT has obtained. “Earlier today, the [NFL Management Council Executive Committee] discussed the issues relating to the Draft. The Committee was unanimous and unequivocal that the Draft should go forward as scheduled on April 23-25, 2020.” "

I agree... Bc
    He'll change this. Teams can't even interview potential draft picks in person.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I don't think so. Teams have sent scouts to see them play in person, have hundreds of hours of film/tape, and it's a level playing field since no team will be interviewing. OTAs and other team gatherings will very likely be canceled too. Televising the "event" also pay$ the NFL quite well. IMO delaying the process does not do any good for anyone... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    They knew that when they made the decision. It's not new information so I don't see why that would suddenly make them change their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    They knew that when they made the decision. It's not new information so I don't see why that would suddenly make them change their minds.
    They won't be able to film with a full crew without endangering everyone involved. They won't be able to have the draftees there hanging out. Team executives won't be able to have their war rooms. There won't be anything to truly televise. It'll get postponed. Goodell is just being stubborn.