Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Should the draft be postponed?

There are reports that every NFL GM wants the draft put back until after the coronavirus crisis is over. What do you think?

I say no. It's a welcome distraction at a time when nothing is happening in the sporting world and it's an event that can take place remotely without putting anyone at risk.

I can see the GM's point that they aren't able to scout players, meet players and conduct medicals the way they usually can but, if everyone is in the same boat, what does it really matter? Everyone is working differently now (if they're working at all). So there might be a few more draft busts than usual. Who cares? The NFL is entertainment and I don't think they should deprive us of some fun just because GMs feel less comfortable about their assessments.

Blog Entries

Re: Should the draft be postponed?

QtR, I agree with you. Since "everyone is in the same boat" and there were scouts who saw the players and there is film, IMO it should not be postponed. In this age of technology it can all be done via telephone and computer anyway... Bc

There doesn’t need to be any crowds involved, it can be done remotely, and the only thing that it wouldn’t have is the razzle dazzle spectacle (the Las Vegas draft the players taking boats, stage in the Bellagio fountains). I doubt ratings would be hurt much at all this would be a nice distraction from the reality of what’s happening in the world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    There are reports that every NFL GM wants the draft put back until after the coronavirus crisis is over. What do you think?

I say no. It's a welcome distraction at a time when nothing is happening in the sporting world and it's an event that can take place remotely without putting anyone at risk.

I can see the GM's point that they aren't able to scout players, meet players and conduct medicals the way they usually can but, if everyone is in the same boat, what does it really matter? Everyone is working differently now (if they're working at all). So there might be a few more draft busts than usual. Who cares? The NFL is entertainment and I don't think they should deprive us of some fun just because GMs feel less comfortable about their assessments.
    I haven't heard every GM. I've heard Elway of the Broncos and Loomis of the Saints. DeCosta said he knows this will be challenging but the Ravens are ready for the draft on time.

Blog Entries

no way. it's our only diversion

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The draft should go on as scheduled. Just remotely. Every team/GM has the same handicap...draft is mostly a crap shoot, even doing all the interviews and workouts anyway.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

From what I saw a GM committee voted 6-1 to postpone it. Certainly not unanimous among all 32.

The film is what matters. No pro days sucks, but we did have the combine at least. I get that there’s a lot of uncertainty around some medicals but it is what it is. But I’ve always thought the interviews were nonsense anyway. Trust what you see on tape, not how a guy responds to ink blot tests lmao

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I haven't heard every GM. I've heard Elway of the Broncos and Loomis of the Saints. DeCosta said he knows this will be challenging but the Ravens are ready for the draft on time.
    You're right. It was 6 of the 7 member NFL GM subcommittee so it's just most of them.

They're all going to say they're ready, aren't they? Imagine the headlines if a GM came out and said, "I'm completely unprepared for the draft. I'm really going to mess this up."

i love the idea of having 1 round every night !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    You're right. It was 6 of the 7 member NFL GM subcommittee so it's just most of them.

They're all going to say they're ready, aren't they? Imagine the headlines if a GM came out and said, "I'm completely unprepared for the draft. I'm really going to mess this up."
    Elway didn't send his assistant coaches to the Combine. That's where he is coming from. He's at a disadvantage based on a decision he made. I wouldn't be surprised if some others did that too. We know that John Harbaugh missed the Combine because of surgery but the Ravens prepared and adjusted for that.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    DeCosta said he knows this will be challenging but the Ravens are ready for the draft on time.
    DeCosta is ready for the draft any time, any where.

If the NFL hopes to get the season kicked off on time, they really can't delay much anyway. All signs point to at a minimum another month before restrictions begin easing, likely longer. No way you can cram that face to face prep and the pro days in, then conduct the draft, and still have everyone ready to go for pre-season. As it is, the off-season activities prior to training camp are probably in jeopardy.