Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Jadeveon Clowney = Missing Piece?

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    And Calais Campbell just got traded for a 5th round pick.

This kind of shit happens every year.
    Calais Campbell isn't a 27-year-old who demanded a multi-year $20M+ per year deal.

Campbell isn't elite--he knows he doesn't deserve to be paid like Clowney wants to be paid--he's very good, and came at a reasonable asking price that locked him up for two years and $20M guaranteed.

He's also has elite intangibles, something I don't see in Clowney.

It's a horrible comparison for me.

Compare Campbell's stats against that of Buckner, who signed a big deal with Indy.. You'd be surprised to see how effective CC is. If Buckner is elite, than Campbell's performance is .. Grant it, he is older, and that is why he can't command the $$ at this time in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Calais Campbell isn't a 27-year-old who demanded a multi-year $20M+ per year deal.

Campbell isn't elite--he knows he doesn't deserve to be paid like Clowney wants to be paid--he's very good, and came at a reasonable asking price that locked him up for two years and $20M guaranteed.

Campbell's been a top 5 interior lineman in the league - I'd call that elite. He's not getting paid stupid money mainly because of his age.

Clowney plays a different position anyway. If both were franchised they'd have different numbers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Compare Campbell's stats against that of Buckner, who signed a big deal with Indy.. You'd be surprised to see how effective CC is. If Buckner is elite, than Campbell's performance is .. Grant it, he is older, and that is why he can't command the $$ at this time in his career.
    You are paying for future results. The expectation is that the 26 year old Buckner will produce more over his contract than the 34 year old Campbell. That's always a factor. You can see it in Brady, Brees and Rivers signing for a lot less than the amount Prescott turned down.

Seriously, this is not the first time you’ve taken a veiled shot at Clowney’s intangibles. Please expand on that

ill take him on a one year deal

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Seriously, this is not the first time you’ve taken a veiled shot at Clowney’s intangibles. Please expand on that
    Veiled? What was veiled about my comments?

It was plain, open questioning of his intangibles, going back to my saying, if Campbell plays like a Raven, my sense is that Clowney is the opposite.

This starts with his time at South Carolina. He had a big drop off in production in his junior year, and we heard the same explanations about how he was drawing more attention and was still a good run stuffer despite being held to three sacks. And then the old ball coach openly questioned his work ethic going into the draft, unfavorably comparing him to other numerous prospects coming out of USC.

Heading into the draft then-analyst Mike Mayock openly questioned Clowney's work ethic and said he'd take Buffalo outside linebacker Khalil Mack over Clowney.

If you go back to any of the draft evaluations there were a long, long list of his athletic skills and a clear, tight list of his weaknesses. Here's a sample of weaknesses from one report, typically of many...
    • Inconsistent motor
    • Took plays off, especially in 2012 season
    • Lackadaisical work ethic in conditioning
    • Can he handle the pressure?
    • How will he respond to money?

Flash forward to the NFL, with JJ Watt attracting attention on the opposite side, and I figured the door was wide open for Clowney to come charging in with his rare physical traits and erase those doubts.

But if he was interested in changing that perception he didn't seem in a hurry to do so. He sat out with vague illnesses and injuries and the Texans called him out publicly. He has a track record of not being available or not producing consistently. When he is good he is very good, but that has not be very often relative to the nearly 100 games he's been an NFL player. Then he gets into a contract dispute, demanding to be paid like the aforementioned Mack, he of the six-year, $141 million deal. And not surprisingly to me, no one has offered that.

Okay, here is a question for you.

You aren't concerned with the intangibles and you believe he is elite for reasons that go beyond sack totals. Would you give him that kind of contract? If he's elite, just in other ways, why not?

How low would he need to go?

Because when I've asked that question on this board before, I've hear talk of a one-year prove it deal for $10-$12M. I just don't think that's a realistic hope, so short of telling me you want to pay him like Mack, what's the point of this argument?

I definitely would give him that kind of contract, yes. I’ve said so before.

Someone floated 4/$72 ans I think that would be a steal depending on structure. I’d definitely go up to 4/$80
    Last edited by NjRavensFan; 03-25-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Campbell is, quite literally, the definition of Elite. Your evaluations are really insanely lacking. Campbell got paid less because he's 33 and poised to be a lesser player in the future. At Clowneys age Campbell signed his elite level contract, albeit obviously lower than what todays contract would be (should be obvious but seems i really gotta spell this shit out for you)

Clowney is far too expensive.
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Clowney is far too expensive.
    Thanks yeah this really added to the conversation