Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Jadeveon Clowney = Missing Piece?

Allow me to live in fantasy land for a bit, as this quarantine has forced my mind to wander.....

Jadeveon Clowney, former #1 pick and edge rusher, is still on the market. He is 27 years old and expected to get a monster deal, however his injury history and his *unique* skill set (never had a 10 sack season; better run defender than pass rusher) has left him teamless over a week into free agency. Some experts are now predicting that he takes a one year "prove-it" deal to recoup some of his value for next offseason, where there will be much less uncertainty as far as getting physicals from teams and maybe he can then get his long-term deal.

So, why am I posting this in our forum? Well, like I said this is mainly a fantasy as I have loved Clowney for many years, but at what point does this market play to the Ravens favor? If Clowney is taking a prove it deal, why not join one of the top contenders in the league where the one big weakness defensively last year was edge play? Not to mention, Wink's scheme would be perfect for Jadeveon as it would allow for him to show off his ridiculous versatility, with his ability to line up anywhere along the line of scrimmage. I said this in a previous thread (I believe the Judon thread) but having the versatility of Campbell and Clowney in the same front 7 would wreak havoc on opposing offenses. For the Ravens, I truly feel like Clowney would be the last piece needed on our defense to dominate on every portion of the field. Bringing in Clowney would allow us to focus on WR and OL in the draft, possibly adding an ILB as well (even though I think we can cobble together good enough play there with LJ Fort and veteran minimums, considering Chuck Clark plays up there pretty frequently anyway).

That leaves us with the question: how can this happen? Well, there are probably two possibilities:

1. Trade Matt Judon for the best draft pick(s) you can get. Obviously, not ideal to move Judon when you would like to have he and Clowney together. But if Judon expects a huge long-term deal and the Ravens are unwilling to oblige, our best option is to get a pick for him now rather than have him play out his tag, lose him next FA, and not get a compensatory pick until 2022. Clowney in my opinion is a big upgrade over Judon in this defense, and that move would upgrade the team.

2. Work some cap magic! Get an extension done with Ronnie Stanley. Possibly get an extension done with Matt Judon. Alter the contracts of big money players like Marcus Peters and/or Earl Thomas. Do what is needed to kick the can down the road.

This of course all depends on Clowney's contract demands at this point. If he is willing to take that sort of "prove-it" deal that is being widely speculated, I think the Ravens have to do everything they can to get him to Baltimore. This is the type of move you make when you see a clear title window with your star QB on his rookie deal. I'm curious what everyone else thinks, and thank you again for indulging my nonsense.

Blog Entries

Re: Jadeveon Clowney = Missing Piece?

Clowney has a contract offer from the Seahawks that averages $18.5 million a year and he says it’s not enough. He’s not taking a 1 year prove it deal if he’s rejecting that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Clowney has a contract offer from the Seahawks that averages $18.5 million a year and he says it’s not enough. He’s not taking a 1 year prove it deal if he’s rejecting that kind of money.
    From what I've seen, that offer has proven to not be true.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If no one is offering him a multi year deal in the range he wants that is exactly when you would take a one year prove it deal.

How tf do the Steelers have that kind of cap space?

Quote Originally Posted by unleashthebeast View Post
    I’m guessing it’s one of those offers where the AAV looks a hell of a lot better than what the contract actually contains.

Blog Entries

Don’t know but here is the article

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-185m-annually

Blog Entries

he doesn't move the needle for me like he does for some of you guys. honestly rather have Suggs back in rotation on a cheaper deal

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

It's almost impossible with our cap situation and hell no on a Judon extension or restructuring Thomas.

I also think at this point our club is moving forward with Judon on a 1yr deal. At best we can hope of signing someone like Matthews to help with the pass rush.

missing is the correct word, has he even played a 16 game season yet?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    It's almost impossible with our cap situation and hell no on a Judon extension or restructuring Thomas.

I also think at this point our club is moving forward with Judon on a 1yr deal. At best we can hope of signing someone like Matthews to help with the pass rush.
    Would probably require Judon getting traded.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    he doesn't move the needle for me like he does for some of you guys. honestly rather have Suggs back in rotation on a cheaper deal
    I don’t like Clowney at all. He has some great games but then then he’ll do little in many others. I keep Judon over Clowney. I don’t know what you’d get out of Suggs. I’m surprised he’s not retiring

Yeah I actually saw something that said their offer was really something averaging $13.5 million.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.