Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Jadeveon Clowney = Missing Piece?

Maybe I'm viewing this wrong but the Ravens are basically renting Judon for $16-18M for the 2020 season then if he leaves via FA next offseason they'll be in line for a 2022 third round compensation pick. They could more than likely rent Clowney for the same amount they're paying Judon which would pretty much be swapping them out and move that compensation pick up a year and maybe a round by dealing MJ now.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    Maybe I'm viewing this wrong but the Ravens are basically renting Judon for $16-18M for the 2020 season then if he leaves via FA next offseason they'll be in line for a 2022 third round compensation pick. They could more than likely rent Clowney for the same amount they're paying Judon which would pretty much be swapping them out and move that compensation pick up a year and maybe a round by dealing MJ now.
    All good logic.

However, to carry your logic forward about swapping Judon's one franchised year of service for a year of Clowney, the fact that it hasn't happened yet I it think it tells us that, either:

1. Clowney (who reportedly was looking for a long term deal at $21M+ per) won't take that money to come here on a one year rental. At least not yet, he won't.

or

2. They don't want to give the $16M earmarked for Judon (or more) to Clowney on one year deal, coming off an injury that they can't evaluate, and with his up and down track record of production. (Not to restart the argument about how you measure his production--remember, I am considering possibilities for what the Ravens front office thinks about him, and he them, and not what we here think.)

or

3. They actually value Judon a whole lot more than many assume--maybe even as much value as Clowney would have as a scheme or locker room fit. Part of that evaluation may include the possibility of, over the next three months, still signing Judon long term, thus freeing up more cap to bring in a veteran after the draft--maybe depth on the interior of the offensive or defensive lines--and still having a quality young player like Judon in the fold for multiple campaigns.

I'll repeat that Judon is either an outlier, or the team is will treat him like every previously franchised Ravens player, all of whom were eventually extended: Suggs, Rice, Ngata and Tucker.

Also, rescinding the tag on Judon would mean letting him walk for nothing, since signing Clowney would negate a comp pick. If they trade Judon they do get a pick back, but then Pierce's comp pick is negated when Clowney is signed.

Granted, it might mean turning what would be a fourth round comp for Pierce (if that) into a second or third round pick for Judon, which is certainly and upgrade (although it may not come back to them any sooner). But they would not net any additional picks, unless they get multiple picks for Judon.

For instance, if they were to trade Judon for a third and fourth, and then sign Clowney for a year at something close to what they were prepared to pay Judon under the tag, then you can think about it as the fourth rounder they get for Judon replacing the comp they would no longer get for Pierce...and the third rounder coming sooner than a '22 third round comp they might expect for losing Judon after one more year of control.

The short answer is that I don't think there are any added benefits.

You still have to assume Clowney is willing to come here for Judon's money, and that he will be a much better player in 2020 than Judon would be, and that you can trade Judon for what we think he's going to get them in return.

It's a lot of ifs for me...but others here have made it clear they don't have as much hesitation.

I've read from a couple Ravens reporters that I respect...Zrebiec and Tony L to be specific so far...that while the Ravens FO respect his talent, they aren't fans of Clowney the person in the locker room...whatever that means.

I don't think he's an option at almost any price.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I've read from a couple Ravens reporters that I respect...Zrebiec and Tony L to be specific so far...that while the Ravens FO respect his talent, they aren't fans of Clowney the person in the locker room...whatever that means.

I don't think he's an option at almost any price.
    I'm closer to this opinion, but have been open minded enough to think they would take him on a cheap, prove it deal, base on talent alone.

But the way they evaluate players I just don't see them paying him top money, even for one year.

For instance, go to the team website and watch the interview there with EDC about why they targeted Campbell:

... leadership and other factors that you're looking for. That’s really in my opinion the Silver Bullet that everybody's looking for..we've seen the impact these guys can have on your team. They bring obviously abilities as excellent football players, but they also, based on experience, bring leadership history and different things like that….We've always had a lot of admiration for Calais. He's a great fit for our defense, is a giant of a man, he’s played very very hard, he's got excellent technique, he can rush, he can play the run. And he's a guy who obviously takes very good care of his body, he's a guy who missed very very few games in his career. As a player he has played at a very high level for a very long time. It is hard to find that body type, hard to find that skill set, is hard to find that passion for the game. So if you can get a guy like that and checked off all those boxes you better get that guy. And that's what we tried to do.
    This to me is what the team means about Play Like A Raven. It's not just physicality. It's mostly passion and commitment to the game. When I said I didn't see Clowney as a fit because he doesn't play like a raven, I was mocked, but I was referring to the "Silver Bullet" qualities Eric himself says he values.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I've read from a lot of Texans fans that he gets penalties at the worst times. Too many almost sacks. Durability. I pass on him for what he is asking. Suggs or Matthews would go further per the gallon...
    Suggs would cost a draft pick though

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Rather have a Suggs swan song.
    But what pick would you trade for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    But what pick would you trade for it?

Nothing. Suggs is still a Chief?

Nothing. Suggs is still a Chief?
    Yeah. They got him on waivers, so they got the two year contract he signed with the Cardinals.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Yeah. They got him on waivers, so they got the two year contract he signed with the Cardinals.

Oh. I didn’t realize he signed a two year deal. If he’s released I’d be interested though.

Oh. I didn’t realize he signed a two year deal. If he’s released I’d be interested though.
    Definitely

I bet clowney isnt getting the offer he imagine getting. Teams are probably scared of his medical and there’s no way their doctors can examine him. I read he might wait until training camp. He’s probably hoping once teams have a look, the price goes up closer to what he wants.

The fact that he hasn't signed anywhere as of yet spells only one thing - he maintains a highly inflated value of himself and he is having trouble getting back in touch with reality.