Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 defense

1. Re: 2020 defense

Chuck Clarke is a hell of player. I’ve been watching a couple games of coaches film and he is so good in the box, especially as a dime backer. Beating blockers and making tackles. Watching week 17 steelers and damn he is standing out.

We really struck gold finding a long term, quality, starting safety with him.

Re: 2020 defense

Earl and Chuck won't have to play in the box nearly as much this year. Having Queen and Harrison to cover RB's and TE's frees Wink to deploy more like typical Safties.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    None of your pics in this thread are showing for me.

Are they showing for anyone?
    I'm not getting them either and I even copied/pasted the source into a new tab

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    None of your pics in this thread are showing for me.

Are they showing for anyone?
    Its weird. I have 2 laptops both HPs w/ the same software. I posted the images from my cell on one laptop and immediately after posting the images I couldn't see them. Then I went to my other laptop and the images are there? Don't now what to tell you..

Lost: -9 QB hits - 2 sacks - Pierce + Wormley
    Gain+37 QB hits + 13.5 sacks- Campbell + Wolf

Dif 26 QB hits + 11.5 sacks

Lost -8 QB hits - Bynes + Onwuasor 4 sacks
    Gain +XX QB hits - ??
    Queen 12 TFL + 3 sacks 1 QB hurry
    Harrison 16.5 TFL + 6.5 sacks + 1 QB hurry

My favorite thing about Chuck Clark was when he was asked about being a starting safety with the green dot and basically where his career stood right now, he laughed that off. He said he wants to be the best safety in the league. I remember as a kid (in 2003 maybe?) I had Ed Reed sign a shirt at training camp, I wanted to him to write "best safety in the league". For a moment he initially refused, because he declared himself "the best defensive back in the league".

Here's what a 2-deep may look like for the 4-2 nickel:

Code:
    	Jaylon Ferguson		Calais Campbell		Derek Wolfe		Matt Judon	
    	Jihad Ward		Brandon Williams	Justin Madubuike	Tyus Bowser	

Patrick Queen		Malik Harrison			
    				Anthony Levine		LJ Fort			

Marlon Humphrey		Tavon Young		Earl Thomas		Chuck Clark		Marcus Peters
    Iman Marshall		Marlon Humphrey		DeShon Elliott		Geno Stone		Jimmy Smith
    My biggest concern with it would be the rookie learning curve for both ILBs. Fort and/or Levine may have to take early season snaps.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 05-01-2020 at 11:16 PM.

Also, if the above happens to be correct that leaves three spots open for a standard 25-man defensive roster (for the 53).

DL - Broderick Washington, Justin Ellis, Daylon Mack
    LB - Otaro Alaka, Chris Board
    DB - Anthony Averett, Jordan Richards, Terrell Bonds

This doesn't include UDFAs that could steal a roster spot.

Richards is a pretty legit STer right?

Blog Entries

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-most...nd-free-agency

10 most improved units after the 2020 NFL Draft and free agency

THE BALTIMORE RAVENS DEFENSE AS A WHOLE
    Baltimore’s offense was obviously one of the best in the NFL in 2019, and while their defense was good, it was not entirely on that same elite tier. However, they might have just changed that this offseason.

They kicked off free agency by trading a fifth-round pick in exchange for veteran interior defensive lineman Calais Campbell. Since 2016, Campbell has been the second-most valuable interior defender behind only Aaron Donald, and he’s earned a 90.0-plus overall grade in every season over that period.
    Then they went ahead and made four excellent moves in the 2020 NFL Draft. Firstly, they managed to pick up Patrick Queen — our LB1 — in Round 1 after two other off-ball linebackers were already selected. Queen is an athlete by nature with unteachable tools for the position. And even though he’s far from a polished product as a coverage defender, Queen was still one of the best in the country in this facet by allowing half a yard per coverage snap and posting the 12th-best coverage grade at his position last year.

Baltimore then got great value in Justin Madubuike — who was 47th on our big board — at pick No. 71. Madubuike is a great athlete with an exceptional get-off and was a threat to push the pocket on every rep with his bull-rush. His production at Texas A&M stagnated from 2018 to 2019, but he was effective both against the run and in the pass-rush, generating PFF grades of 84.2 and 85.7, respectively, in those facets.
    They also picked up linebacker Malik Harrison at the tail end of Round 3. Harrison isn’t nearly as explosive as Queen and likely won’t be as good in coverage, but he will be a tremendous blitzing weapon for Baltimore.

Easily the most underrated move they made, though, came in the seventh round when they picked up safety Geno Stone, who was 53rd on our big board. Stone was one of the most instinctive defensive backs available in the NFL Draft and was quick to make big plays in college — he actually made more plays on the ball (11) than the number of first downs he allowed (9).

Blog Entries

2 weak spots on an already good defense were: run defense (especially to the perimeter) and pass rush/sacks.

Both of those areas have been vastly improved.

Going from Pierce to Campbell improves both run defense and the pass defense.
    Going from Wormley to Derek Wolf is likely a 'push' in the run game, but again improves the pass rush.
    On top of that they improved the depth Madubuike is plus level athlete and was an all around iDL that was good against the run and in pass rush
    Washington brings stout run stopping depth at 34 DE

The interior pass rush duo in nickel and dime packages has vastly improved....
    going from a duet of Pierce-Williams (Wormley, Peko etc) to Campbell - Wolf (Madubuike)

Imagine IF Wink could generate pressure rushing 4?

Queen and Harrison are a huge upgrade to the ILB spots across the board....speed, range, coverage and blitz.
    We saw how much the run defense improved by merely plugging in (barely) league average ILB now they've added plus level talent at both spots.

Blog Entries

Patrick Queen presser

Transcript:

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...ess-conference
    Last edited by edromeo; 08-01-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here's what a 2-deep may look like for the 4-2 nickel:

Code:
    	Jaylon Ferguson		Calais Campbell		Derek Wolfe		Matt Judon	
    	Jihad Ward		Brandon Williams	Justin Madubuike	Tyus Bowser	

Patrick Queen		Malik Harrison			
    				Anthony Levine		LJ Fort			

Marlon Humphrey		Tavon Young		Earl Thomas		Chuck Clark		Marcus Peters
    Iman Marshall		Marlon Humphrey		DeShon Elliott		Geno Stone		Jimmy Smith
    My biggest concern with it would be the rookie learning curve for both ILBs. Fort and/or Levine may have to take early season snaps.
    This is what I think we want by mid-season. I think Fort will play a lot over Harrison in the beginning. That's a very solid lineup. People are going to be wow'ed by Campbell.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB