Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 defense

Re: 2020 defense

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like every time we get our expectations up for a great defense we get let down.

On the other side, expectations were lower last year after losing so many starters, and we ended up being a top 5 defense.

On paper right now we're in much better shape than we were heading into the 2019 season. Especially at LB and the DL. A lot can happen though to derail that improvement.
    Oh my expectations were still very high going into last year. I was one of the biggest Earl stans here iirc

Safeties are the weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    If Earl Thomas, Chuck Clark, Deshon Elliott, Anthony Levine, and Geno Stone are the weak link then yeah this is the best unit in the league.

On paper? Yeah, they could be pretty good. In reality? No idea how these kids will turn out, whether Earl Thomas will be effective or fall off a cliff, etc.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

There is no reason why this can't be a top 3 defense. We have filled a lot of holes between the free agent pickups and with the draft.

Don't forget that our running offense will win the time of possession and give our defense chances to rest.
    Ravens Nest #1, Harford County

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    If Earl Thomas, Chuck Clark, Deshon Elliott, Anthony Levine, and Geno Stone are the weak link then yeah this is the best unit in the league.
    If Elliot can stay healthy and stone ends up being a players than we’d be in good shape but they’re question marks right now. Earl Thomas is a year older broken down shell of his former self and while Chuck is an above average, very smart player, he’s not keeping any OCs up at night. It’s not like a glaring hole or anything but it’s the weakest part of our defense.

If Elliot can stay healthy and stone ends up being a players than we’d be in good shape but they’re question marks right now. Earl Thomas is a year older broken down shell of his former self and while Chuck is an above average, very smart player, he’s not keeping any OCs up at night. It’s not like a glaring hole or anything but it’s the weakest part of our defense.
    People saying Earl is a shell of his former self just shows me that they never knew who Earl was or why we were paying him in the first place. He was never a guy who made splash plays. He was never a big hitter. He was never even a ball hawk. He’s a Hall of Famer because he flat out takes away the entire deep middle of the field.

In 15 games all year Earl allowed 6 completions (!) into his coverage, and gave up a total of 4 yards (!!!) over the last six weeks of the year. Earl might not be Legion of Boom Earl anymore but he’s still a hell of a player.

Thomas may be getting older but it's not like the last couple Weddle years, where we literally had to hide him because he had lost so much speed.

Blog Entries

image from PFF

Nickel

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    image from PFF

Nickel
    None of your pics in this thread are showing for me.

Are they showing for anyone?

Edge rush is the potential weak link. Ferguson might not take a step forward; Judon might be inconsistent.

I'd like us to sign Pernell back.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    None of your pics in this thread are showing for me.

Are they showing for anyone?
    Same