Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2020 defense

Re: 2020 defense

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    This is what I think we want by mid-season. I think Fort will play a lot over Harrison in the beginning. That's a very solid lineup. People are going to be wow'ed by Campbell.
    Yeah they are. I'm surprised at how good Campbell still is at his age, but if you think about it he's not fat, just tall with really long arms and he knows how to be a technician. His body's held up extraordinarily well, knock on wood.

The lack of practice is definitely going to hurt the ILB unit, I too expect Fort to be the incumbent starter (obligatory "if there's a season")

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Yeah they are. I'm surprised at how good Campbell still is at his age, but if you think about it he's not fat, just tall with really long arms and he knows how to be a technician. His body's held up extraordinarily well, knock on wood.

The lack of practice is definitely going to hurt the ILB unit, I too expect Fort to be the incumbent starter (obligatory "if there's a season")

I;'m hoping we see more of the 35 front. It'll help Judon signifcantly and I think you get enough juice out of Mads and Wolfe on the weak side to cover that strong side A-B gap over the guard. Harrison would be an ideal thumper in that situation with Queen shooting the play. No one would be getting outside if you have Campbell 1-gapping the outside of the OT and Judon out there as well.

This would also be a situation where you could put Bowser on the strong side with Campbell and have Judon as the RUSH on the weak side. Puts Judon in a position to just get off the ball and up the field. Bowser can play more off-ball to his strength.

All of this to say, Wink has sooooooo many more options at his disposal. Jsut a product of improving athleticism.

Going from:
    1T - Pierce
    3T - Williams
    5T - Worm
    to
    1T - Williams
    3T - Wolfe/Mads
    5T - Campbell/Ward/Wolfe

it's just insnae.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I;'m hoping we see more of the 35 front. It'll help Judon signifcantly and I think you get enough juice out of Mads and Wolfe on the weak side to cover that strong side A-B gap over the guard. Harrison would be an ideal thumper in that situation with Queen shooting the play. No one would be getting outside if you have Campbell 1-gapping the outside of the OT and Judon out there as well.

This would also be a situation where you could put Bowser on the strong side with Campbell and have Judon as the RUSH on the weak side. Puts Judon in a position to just get off the ball and up the field. Bowser can play more off-ball to his strength.

All of this to say, Wink has sooooooo many more options at his disposal. Jsut a product of improving athleticism.

Going from:
    1T - Pierce
    3T - Williams
    5T - Worm
    to
    1T - Williams
    3T - Wolfe/Mads
    5T - Campbell/Ward/Wolfe

it's just insnae.
    Thanks for sharing this. This kind of stuff is really good at helping people understand the game at a higher level

Think about how good the nickel is going to be, since nickel is the new base. The secondary was already shutting people down and that's with Wink having to blitz all the time. Now he can get pressure with just an event front doing things like stunting Campbell with Madubuike and Wolfe. They're all good at that. But of course at any point he can send Harrison who is a premier blitzing LB or Queen who's a good blitzer in his own right. This is the most excited I've been about a Ravens defense in a while.

I'm just worried about the season - doesn't have to be 16 games, just get the Ravens to the playoffs.

Side note - this is as easy as things are ever going to get for Judon, Bowser and Ferguson. Why would anyone double those guys with Campbell, B-Will, Wolfe and Madu to worry about? So, they need to win their 1-on-1 matchups. And the secondary should give them time to do so, just like last season.

Side note - this is as easy as things are ever going to get for Judon, Bowser and Ferguson. Why would anyone double those guys with Campbell, B-Will, Wolfe and Madu to worry about? So, they need to win their 1-on-1 matchups. And the secondary should give them time to do so, just like last season.
    My big hope is that Bowser has a strong year. We let Judon walk, get the 3rd round comp for him and try and keep Bowser on a more team freindly deal.

We'll still likely need an OLB in the draft, but with other guys to pay I just can't justify the deal to Judon. BUT Bowser may be possible. On a deal similar to like what Nick Boyle got. A 3 year deal of solid money with an out after 2.

Some people may not like it, but we';ll need someone with that SAM skillset.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. This kind of stuff is really good at helping people understand the game at a higher level
    Most welcome.

WNC is right - we don't play base very often, but what's important here is where we line up our iDL. Despite not having a base, we still need to focus on where those guys are.

I've been thinking of doing some charting for the DL to show where our guys lineup and what their assignment is (1-gapping, 2-gapping, stunts, etc.)
    - Ray Lewis

I've been thinking of doing some charting for the DL to show where our guys lineup and what their assignment is (1-gapping, 2-gapping, stunts, etc.)
    That would be very cool.

I'm just worried about the season - doesn't have to be 16 games, just get the Ravens to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    That would be very cool.
    I think Im going to chart defense in-season and then chart the run game after the season.

Im going to focus on the front 7 and MC is going to focus on the secondary. It sucks we won't have comparable data because I'm most interested in our stunt use this year versus next.

Campbell and Wolfe ran a ton of them in their previous destinations.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Most welcome.

WNC is right - we don't play base very often, but what's important here is where we line up our iDL. Despite not having a base, we still need to focus on where those guys are.

Filmstudy catalogued defensive packages here: https://filmstudybaltimore.com/whats-that-defense/
    good place video and raw data for the defense

I think Im going to chart defense in-season and then chart the run game after the season.

Im going to focus on the front 7 and MC is going to focus on the secondary. It sucks we won't have comparable data because I'm most interested in our stunt use this year versus next.

Campbell and Wolfe ran a ton of them in their previous destinations.
    Would be interested to read about defensive game charts for front 7 and secondary.

RE: Data
    I know i've read PFF articles that have stunt numbers by team before. Maybe its part of the premium package?
    Last edited by edromeo; 08-04-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

No doubt. This defense has real potential. They should be better then last year's defense and last year's defense was good. I think Queen and Harrison are going to be difference makers on the spotty edge run defense.

And Campbell and Wolfe are huge upgrades in terms of interior pass rush. And Madbuike was one of my favorite iDL prospects last year.

Then the secondary adds Tavon Young to one the best units in the league.

How would assign roles in the 35 front using the designations from the image? I'm sure Campbell will play all over at in multiple techniques and gaps.

I would go like this:

B-Queen
    M-Harrison/Fort
    W-Judon/Bowser
    E(3 tech)-Campbell/Madu
    N-Williams/Ellis
    E (5 tech)- Wolfe/Washington
    S-McPhee
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said