Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 defense

Blog Entries

2020 defense

Hi all over the pond, hope you are all staying safe. I fear for the after effects on the economy more than the virus it's self.

Anyway, with the additions on the DL and the re signing of Jimmy Smith, along with retaining one of the best DCs in the league, does anyone else think on paper this D has the potential to become a record setting unit? I think it could be as good as the 2015 Broncos D. The D was pretty good last year but was over shadowed by the offense, but with more talent I think the defense is really going to dominate the league.

The offense I think will be good but will probably take a slight step back with the loss of Yanda and Hurst and the fact that some teams will adjust a bit better going up against us. I think you will see the passing game develop a bit more.

Re: 2020 defense

Right now I see one big gap and that's a coverage guy for the 5-15 yard from LOS area between the numbers.

Typically it's your coverage LB, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a LB. We're talking those crucial 3rd downs where we know we have the outsides locked down, but need the middle hemmed.

Maybe it's Patrick Queen, maybe it's Xavier McKinney. But I think that's the one role that's missing that makes this an elite unit.

We're likely not going ot have an elite rusher off the edge for 2020, but we should have a good line of guys who can get pressure and we should be able to get pressure with 4 (yes, I think Campbell is that good and makes others around him better).

If you line up Ward - Ferguson - Campbell - Judon I think that can do it with 4 and that's without a blitz.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Record setting? No. If think you need an elite pass rush for that. Everyone was talking about the Patriots defense last year who were on a record setting pace through the 1st half of the season. Without a dominant pass rusher it just didn’t last. We have the potential for a very good defense and on paper top 5 in the NFL. Record setting? I don’t see that.

i think we are 2 elite linebackers short of being record setting.

[QUOTE=ninetysixer;1871724]i think we are 2 elite linebackers short of being record
    I think we just really need one... do everything three down coverage heavy backer that can shed a block in the run game and blitz enough to mix it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Right now I see one big gap and that's a coverage guy for the 5-15 yard from LOS area between the numbers.

Typically it's your coverage LB, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a LB. We're talking those crucial 3rd downs where we know we have the outsides locked down, but need the middle hemmed.

Maybe it's Patrick Queen, maybe it's Xavier McKinney. But I think that's the one role that's missing that makes this an elite unit.

We're likely not going ot have an elite rusher off the edge for 2020, but we should have a good line of guys who can get pressure and we should be able to get pressure with 4 (yes, I think Campbell is that good and makes others around him better).

If you line up Ward - Ferguson - Campbell - Judon I think that can do it with 4 and that's without a blitz.
    What are your thoughts on a guy like Jeremy China potentially filling that role?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Hi all over the pond, hope you are all staying safe. I fear for the after effects on the economy more than the virus it's self.

Anyway, with the additions on the DL and the re signing of Jimmy Smith, along with retaining one of the best DCs in the league, does anyone else think on paper this D has the potential to become a record setting unit? I think it could be as good as the 2015 Broncos D. The D was pretty good last year but was over shadowed by the offense, but with more talent I think the defense is really going to dominate the league.

The offense I think will be good but will probably take a slight step back with the loss of Yanda and Hurst and the fact that some teams will adjust a bit better going up against us. I think you will see the passing game develop a bit more.
    IMHO, no, they need better edge rush. They will be good though.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I don't think you need (it would be a luxury) two elite LB's. Queen, Murray or Braun... One of the three will be there at 28, if we stay at 28.

I would strongly suggest you look into LJ Fort. He is underrated, and a late bloomer. Not comparing him at all to LB/Steelers-Harrison, but some players finally get it later than others, and are in the right system. Watching some of his game tape I am expecting continued strong contributions. The Seattle and Buffalo game come to mind.. He has very good 'game' speed.

I think the NFL rules changes over the last decade will translate into NO defense EVER breaking an older record. Eliminating hard hits (even when there is no helmet to helmet, I've seen refs throw a flag bc a hit looked too hard), lots of pass interference flags thrown before the ref even sees contact (thrown in anticipation of contact), and other rules are making it very tough to play D. We could bring back Ray & Ed & McCrary (in their prime) and I'm not sure we'd set records. The league wants scoring.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I thought this would be an interesting conversation to continue now that the draft is over.

Here is the "base" D.....I prolly should have started with the real "base" D but anyhow....I don't know about record setting but I think this defense is going to be significantly better then last year.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel like every time we get our expectations up for a great defense we get let down.

On the other side, expectations were lower last year after losing so many starters, and we ended up being a top 5 defense.

On paper right now we're in much better shape than we were heading into the 2019 season. Especially at LB and the DL. A lot can happen though to derail that improvement.