Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Wish they got a ring

Here's a list of the top 10 players I wish left Baltimore with a ring.

10. Vinny Testaverde - Marchibroda is the only coach who didn't get a ring. Vinny was his QB. Would have liked to have one from that era (even though we were never close).
    9. Darryl Smith - Took over for Ray Lewis and did a good job anchoring the middle. Stomached quite a few losing season in Jax and didn't get much closer here.
    8. Elvis Dumervil - This one hurt because he came to the Ravens after we beat the Broncos just in time to watch the Broncos win it all.
    7. Tony Jefferson - The team obviously got better with Clark on the field, but I feel like Tony was a good ambassador for the team.
    6. CJ Mosley - Would have been lower on the list if he was older. He's one of only 2 1st round defensive draft picks to leave without a ring. Matt Elam is the other.
    5. Eric Weddle - He was in SD for longer, but he connected with this organization. Wish he had a ring to show for his time here.
    4. Steve McNair - The 2006 playoff loss was the worst...until this year to the Titans. After years of playing against Mac-9, it seemed like fate that we could win one with him.
    3. Steve Smith - Steve Smith and Anquan Boldin bought an attitude to a team that had been bland offensively. Boldin got to hoist a trophy, sadly even after extending his career a year longer than planned, Smith did not.
    2. Derrick Mason - Despite coming to the Ravens later in his career, Mason broke almost every receiving record for the franchise. Wish he had a ring to go with those records.
    1. Todd Heap - Todd Heap was an OUTSTANDING skill position player who often bailed out terrible QB's.

Blog Entries

Re: Wish they got a ring

Jarret Johnson?

Blog Entries

Kelly Gregg?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Jarret Johnson?
    Yup, that's who jumps out to me.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I thought Kelly Gregg was on the practice squad in 2000.

Jarrett Johnson is a notable omission. I'll move him to 4 and push Vinny off.

Blog Entries

Ed Reed was the big one I was worried about. Ravens75 and I used to PM each other in 2012 talking about how sad it would be if Ed Reed never got a ring. After that one I was able to live with the others.

JJ is number 1 for me. He was such a key part of those early Harbaugh Ravens defenses. I can't think of those defenses without thinking of Jarrett Johnson. He played like a Raven, was a fan favorite, great locker room guy, and showed up big so many times against the Steelers when the rivalry was at it's peak. I can't even remember if the Ravens even made him offer prior to San Diego.

Blog Entries

And JJ left the year before we won too.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Ed Reed was the big one I was worried about. Ravens75 and I used to PM each other in 2012 talking about how sad it would be if Ed Reed never got a ring. After that one I was able to live with the others.
    Without Superbowl 47, Reed and Suggs are on this list for me. Not to mention Joe and possibly Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    And JJ left the year before we won too.
    He was holding us back!

Sorry, couldn't resist. No: he was a tremendous player. Great Raven. Would have loved to have him as a position coach after his playing days were done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    He was holding us back!

Sorry, couldn't resist. No: he was a tremendous player. Great Raven. Would have loved to have him as a position coach after his playing days were done.
    You know what, Imma tell JJ you said that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Todd Heap
    Jarrett Johnson
    Kelly Greg
    CJ Mosley, I suppose

Derrick Mason would have made my list, except I lost a good deal of respect for him when he grabbed Flacco by the face-mask on the sidelines during a game.

My list pretty much ends there - all the rest that have been mentioned were 1-3 year rentals. I have fond memories of some of them, to be sure. I just don't see them in the same category with the other 4.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan