Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Preppers

Blog Entries

Preppers

Anyone strongly thinking about taking doomsday prepping a little more seriously after this?

I am.

I dont know that we will go buy some bug out property somewhere, but I can definitely see some reasons why owning property out in West Virginia or a fairly secluded place could be desirable.

However, storing things like non-perishable items and shelf-stable food items is definitely something to think about. Weapons and ammunition, for sure.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Preppers

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Anyone strongly thinking about taking doomsday prepping a little more seriously after this?

I am.

I dont know that we will go buy some bug out property somewhere, but I can definitely see some reasons why owning property out in West Virginia or a fairly secluded place could be desirable.

However, storing things like non-perishable items and shelf-stable food items is definitely something to think about. Weapons and ammunition, for sure.
    Wicked, you and I have been on this forum for awhile and I think we both recall each other talking about homesteading/living off grid is the way we'd preferred to live anyway, so this isn't a panicked response to what's going.

But to answer the question,, I wish I had taken it more seriously now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Wicked, you and I have been on this forum for awhile and I think we both recall each other talking about homesteading/living off grid is the way we'd preferred to live anyway, so this isn't a panicked response to what's going.

But to answer the question,, I wish I had taken it more seriously now!
    Lol. Same.

We're ok. We have a pretty good pantry and typically stock up on things. Weren't really expecting there to be such a mad rush for toilet paper though...that was odd.

And if anyone tries something dumb around my house or neighbor's house, they're going to be in for a rude awakening.

I do really want to get into hunting though. I've wanted to do that for a while, but just never have. I think it would be easier if I knew someone around me that went hunting periodically and I could go with them on a hunt or something...get an idea for what they do.

Lol. Same.

We're ok. We have a pretty good pantry and typically stock up on things. Weren't really expecting there to be such a mad rush for toilet paper though...that was odd.

And if anyone tries something dumb around my house or neighbor's house, they're going to be in for a rude awakening.

I do really want to get into hunting though. I've wanted to do that for a while, but just never have. I think it would be easier if I knew someone around me that went hunting periodically and I could go with them on a hunt or something...get an idea for what they do.
    I think learning some hunting skills would definitely be beneficial for me. Probably learning some more about guns as well. My one son thinks we need one, my response is that I have never so much as held a gun - there's more risk in having one that not! I'm not anti-gun or anything, just have never had the need nor opportunity to handle.

A friend bought a piece of land out in western MD years ago with his dad. I've thought about doing something similar somewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I think learning some hunting skills would definitely be beneficial for me. Probably learning some more about guns as well. My one son thinks we need one, my response is that I have never so much as held a gun - there's more risk in having one that not! I'm not anti-gun or anything, just have never had the need nor opportunity to handle.

A friend bought a piece of land out in western MD years ago with his dad. I've thought about doing something similar somewhere.
    I don't think people should get a gun if they're not comfortable with it.

I was active duty Navy and before that I was in Army ROTC in college and Navy ROTC in high school...so, I've had the opportunity to shoot a lot of different types of weapons. In the Navy, I carried an M9 Beretta 9mm pistol and an M4 Carbine rifle. Those are pretty much standard issue.

I made the decision a few years ago to get something. I dont specifically think I'm in any danger or anything, but I am married and have two kids and we are out in the country a bit. Police response time would probably be 10-15 min or maybe longer in an emergency. So, just wanted that peace of mind. Plus, I travel every now and then for work. I never felt good about leaving my wife here by herself with the kids when I was gone.

If you're interested, I would recommend looking around where you live to see what shooting ranges are in your area. In Frederick, we have two indoor ranges (The Machine Gun Nest and Heritage Shooting Sports) where you can go and rent something, shoot it in a safe environment, get classes, training, etc. I would definitely recommend that before buying something. That way you can see what you are comfortable with.

Blog Entries

If we keep going at this pace, I think the great depression is probably not too far off. If things get worse and we shutdown more and longer, the great depression would look like a blip on the radar.

If all that happens (admittedly a big IF) I wouldn't want to be one with out a gun. At the very lest, I'd like to have a shotgun.

I live in North Alabama. Technically I'm already off the grid.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I don't think people should get a gun if they're not comfortable with it.

I was active duty Navy and before that I was in Army ROTC in college and Navy ROTC in high school...so, I've had the opportunity to shoot a lot of different types of weapons. In the Navy, I carried an M9 Beretta 9mm pistol and an M4 Carbine rifle. Those are pretty much standard issue.

I made the decision a few years ago to get something. I dont specifically think I'm in any danger or anything, but I am married and have two kids and we are out in the country a bit. Police response time would probably be 10-15 min or maybe longer in an emergency. So, just wanted that peace of mind. Plus, I travel every now and then for work. I never felt good about leaving my wife here by herself with the kids when I was gone.

If you're interested, I would recommend looking around where you live to see what shooting ranges are in your area. In Frederick, we have two indoor ranges (The Machine Gun Nest and Heritage Shooting Sports) where you can go and rent something, shoot it in a safe environment, get classes, training, etc. I would definitely recommend that before buying something. That way you can see what you are comfortable with.
    No doubt. Definitely did not want to give the impression that I was going to pursue without the proper training and experience, similar to what you laid out in last paragraph.

The son in question is 16 and has wanted to go into the military since he was in kindergarten. He wants to do just what you said and did find a range in the Frederick area, so probably one of the ones you mentioned. I'm hoping there's one closer to home (Annapolis area). His age may limit options also. And of course, with current conditions nothing is going to happen in the near future.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    No doubt. Definitely did not want to give the impression that I was going to pursue without the proper training and experience, similar to what you laid out in last paragraph.

The son in question is 16 and has wanted to go into the military since he was in kindergarten. He wants to do just what you said and did find a range in the Frederick area, so probably one of the ones you mentioned. I'm hoping there's one closer to home (Annapolis area). His age may limit options also. And of course, with current conditions nothing is going to happen in the near future.
    I'm not sure about age....I've seen young kids at the ranges with their parents.

Lots of ranges in and around Annapolis. Ft Meade has a nice indoor range on 175.

I’d def recommend a standard pump shotgun to anyone not currently a gun owner and familiar with them. No real need to aim and actually the sound of that slide will generally make an”intruder” stop in their tracks.

As far as “Doomsday prepping”.....eh. Still think that’s much ado about nothing. Being prepared is great. But being crazy about it is just nuts. I’m glad we moved to the country before all this. I do have some “prep “ stuff. Solar panels to keep my freezer/fridge running. And my well. We containered a shit ton of water when this started. Mostly for the dogs , chickens and such but we have it in case.

TP isn’t an issue as long as you have water and soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Lots of ranges in and around Annapolis. Ft Meade has a nice indoor range on 175.

I’d def recommend a standard pump shotgun to anyone not currently a gun owner and familiar with them. No real need to aim and actually the sound of that slide will generally make an”intruder” stop in their tracks.

As far as “Doomsday prepping”.....eh. Still think that’s much ado about nothing. Being prepared is great. But being crazy about it is just nuts. I’m glad we moved to the country before all this. I do have some “prep “ stuff. Solar panels to keep my freezer/fridge running. And my well. We containered a shit ton of water when this started. Mostly for the dogs , chickens and such but we have it in case.

TP isn’t an issue as long as you have water and soap.

Having well water is really nice.

I do have a rain barrel as well in case I need it for something.

Having well water is really nice.

I do have a rain barrel as well in case I need it for something.
    Water bill in Harford County was ridiculous. Now I like public water ....but controlling my well is nice.