Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 131415
  1. Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I am thinking about building a post and beam pavilion in my back yard. Of course it starts with good footings. Anyone know the frostline requirements in MD? I'm seeing 30" but that seems like overkill. I think it's between 20" and 30" in the northern part of the state and 20" in the southern half.

Anyone done this? Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe buy a kit to make life easier. Seems like cheating though, lol.
    We have a company here that builds sheds, gazebos, etc. They have prices that are tough to beat. They mostly build them at their shop, but do bring them out in sections and construct them on site, if need be. That's what I did a few years ago. My access was a bit tough, so they pre-built my gazebo in sections and brought it out to my place. I had to prep the site and have it all ready. One day and it was up. All I had to do was paint it. I still need to redo the floor, since it was bare plywood. I slapped a coat of enamel on it and it's fine for now.

Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I know it used to be 30" when I lived there, but it may have changed. That was Carroll/Balt. Co. I found this:

"The frost line in most parts of Maryland (the depth at which ground water freezes) is about 30 inches, which is also the regulated minimal footing depth in the Baltimore County."
    Okay. That's a pretty deep hole considering you are supposed to go down 6 inches below that... Miss Utiliy came out to make sure the two crape myrtles I'm putting in are good. It wasn't necessary as I knew I was no where near them but I asked the guy if he'd mark the underground pool pump power line for me. I have to worry about that line and I also have to worry about the pool suction return lines. That's the main hassle with it. I have a pretty good idea where the power is now and it's probably right smak between two of the footings at an oblique angle. The other two will be in PVC/pool line territory, ugh. So I will be digging gingerly. May not be able to do a kit if I have to make adjustments to accommodate the underground obstructions which I won't know about before hand.

3. Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Okay. That's a pretty deep hole considering you are supposed to go down 6 inches below that... Miss Utiliy came out to make sure the two crape myrtles I'm putting in are good. It wasn't necessary as I knew I was no where near them but I asked the guy if he'd mark the underground pool pump power line for me. I have to worry about that line and I also have to worry about the pool suction return lines. That's the main hassle with it. I have a pretty good idea where the power is now and it's probably right smak between two of the footings at an oblique angle. The other two will be in PVC/pool line territory, ugh. So I will be digging gingerly. May not be able to do a kit if I have to make adjustments to accommodate the underground obstructions which I won't know about before hand.
    No, that's for the bottom of your hole.

Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    No, that's for the bottom of your hole.
    Phew. I am in the intelligence gather phase of this for sure. We'll see if I have it in my body to do it. I practically cut a finger off and tore my thumb off doing the fence. I fell again stepping off a ladder when I was securing the runners on the trellis because my platform was behind me and I backed into it and once again I had to choose between trying to recover and just doing a controlled crash. My neighbors directly across the street hang out in their garage drinking beers and smoking an occasional cig and I think I provided them a lot of free entertainment. The second fall must have been pretty funny looking. Actually both probably were.