Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast
  1. Honey-Do Lists/Projects

I've been quite busy knocking out lots of projects, both large and small around my place. What are some of you guys and gals working on?

I've had lots of mostly outside things to work on and have been using up some of the roughsawn lumber in my storage building. I recently built a small footbridge over one of our creeks out of black locust, then used the same lumber to build a small table and a bench. Now, I will start on a small deck to sit the table on there. I love working w/the black locust, but it's some hard stuff. It basically never rots and no sealer is really needed. On the downside, every freakin' screw needs a pilot hole before fastening it down. Yeah, I like the stuff, though. Whatever I have left over, I plan to use on some raised beds around the place.

After this stuff is done, I have quite a stock of red and white oak to do some things with, as well as a bit of wild black cherry and hard maple.

Blog Entries

Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

I've been rearranging my shop a bit...I feel like I'm constantly thinking about ways to make it more efficient. I dont have a huge shop, so being creative with larger tools isn't easy.

I mounted my dust collector on the wall this weekend and am going to be re-routing overhead duct work for that at some point this week.

I also picked up a Jessem router lift that I'm going to put in the extension wing of my tablesaw.

The misses and I picked up several plants/shrubs this weekend at Home Depot that we are going to get in the ground this week around the property.

I also have a bunch of old fencing/scrap wood that I was planning on using to make some raised garden beds in our back yards. Thought it would be fun for the kids to plant some herbs, veggies, etc.

Yesterday, we cleaned out our basement and rearranged that to make a play area for the kids.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Just put 5 cubic yards of compost/soil in my garden and now starting on the chicken coop....

-reorganized the garage yesterday with my son
    -scalped the bermuda lawn on Sat with my brand spanking new mower
    -prepping mulch beds for some thick double-shred coming next week (edging, trenching, weed pulling/spraying, etc)
    -bought a new thermostat for the upstairs unit and installed it yesterday

5. Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Sounds like you all are keeping busy, which is good. Life goes on. As it will. No shortage of projects here, either.

6. Re: Honey-Do Lists/Projects

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Just put 5 cubic yards of compost/soil in my garden and now starting on the chicken coop....
    Are you building a new chicken coop from "scratch"?

Looking at things we can do to get better airflow when it gets nice. If the government really does send out checks will probably get screens and maybe a storm door.

Otherwise, need to clean out the garage. Will probably also try to get my wife into doing a garden this year after all since we have extra time now.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My wife got the idea to put two of my daughters high school friend to work since they are stuck at home and bored. I bought a cheap high lift jack from harbor freight and rented a one man post hole digger and we tore out 160 feet of fence and this is where we got putting it back up Sunday.

I got a nice discount on the wood because the guys both worked at the lumber yard where I bought the wood.

Fortunately the big box stores aren't part of the economic martial law we are being forced to live under so I will be able to go out and get what I need to finish should it come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    -reorganized the garage yesterday with my son
    -scalped the bermuda lawn on Sat with my brand spanking new mower
    -prepping mulch beds for some thick double-shred coming next week (edging, trenching, weed pulling/spraying, etc)
    -bought a new thermostat for the upstairs unit and installed it yesterday
    Yes, mulch season is about here. For the first time last year my wife and I actually paid a landscaping company to do our mulching. We have about 13 beds in and around our house and pool and they look great in summer when all the perennials are all in. That used to be fun for us but now I'd rather focus on other projects. We will still likely weed them because we know where everything is and I don't trust the landscaping guys not to spray a perennial and kill it but they can edge and mulch all day long. We'll still add a perennial or two and some annuals. We had them do the entire thing last year and when you subtract the price of the mulch we used to pay I think we paid probably 200 for the entire yard. At that price point considering the number and size of our beds it was totally worth it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Are you building a new chicken coop from "scratch"?
    Yes sir. Just got started. Right now I’ve got some 4x4s 2ft in the ground and built a 4ft by 4ft frame floor with old pressures treated deck boards I had laying around for the base. Next is the walls and roof before I move on to the run.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Yes sir. Just got started. Right now I’ve got some 4x4s 2ft in the ground and built a 4ft by 4ft frame floor with old pressures treated deck boards I had laying around for the base. Next is the walls and roof before I move on to the run.
    What kind of yard birds are you planning to keep? We have Rhode Island reds for eggs. We have Red Rangers for meat and eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    What kind of yard birds are you planning to keep? We have Rhode Island reds for eggs. We have Red Rangers for meat and eggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cause I live in a neighborhood I’ve gotta keep it small. We got four, one for each person. Mine is a Golden laced something or other. Wife’s is a Grand Brahama (or something) and my girls have Buff Orphingtons