Explain how these bailouts work (housing, motor companies, wall street etc)

So you guys know i hardly ever comment on politcal crap, i just dont follw it that much because of all the massive bs, lies, and extremes people get to not being able to handle a conversation with people who disagree. Browsing twitterr and see that Goldman Sachs just gave 20% pay raise to their CEOs, then i remember the housing bail out and everyone getting their nice bonuses, also the motor companies all flying private to DC for their meetings to get their bail out. Can someone actually explain to me how the government can hand out all this money with it going unchecked on how its being used? How in the world can a company ask for a bail out then pay top guys bonuses then lay off hundreds, thousands of people, etc?

Now, more than half our country is basically fucked becasue they work in the service industry (im fucked), hotels, movie theatres, any entertainment gatherings, retail, and all the other people that live paycheck to paycheck. But then we see these companies in the past, who cause these problems themselves get taken care of? Wouldnt it have been better to invest into the people rather than the companies? With all this time on our hands now i need to learn some things.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Re: Explain how these bailouts work (housing, motor companies, wall street etc)

Everybody gets a thousand bucks. Every kid gets 500. Starting at 150k (per couple) that amount goes down.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Why are we giving money to everyone?

I can work from home. I am still getting paid most of my friends are in the same boat
    My wife is a teacher. Starting Monday, she will be giving lessons on line to her students. So she is now working from home. We have two children. We make a combined income around 170. So we are going to get some money. Why? My friend owns a popular restaurant here in town. They are always packed. He has about 50 people that work there. About 35 aren’t working now. They need the money.

Gov should be putting this money into unemployment benefits and let those that are not getting paid, request money. Let’s use this 1 trillion to help those not making money. Since the gov forced the shutdown, the gov should be responsible to support them

Anyone already on gov assistance is still getting money. Why would we give them a few thousand $$$$?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Why are we giving money to everyone?

I can work from home. I am still getting paid most of my friends are in the same boat
    My wife is a teacher. Starting Monday, she will be giving lessons on line to her students. So she is now working from home. We have two children. We make a combined income around 170. So we are going to get some money. Why? My friend owns a popular restaurant here in town. They are always packed. He has about 50 people that work there. About 35 aren’t working now. They need the money.

Gov should be putting this money into unemployment benefits and let those that are not getting paid, request money. Let’s use this 1 trillion to help those not making money. Since the gov forced the shutdown, the gov should be responsible to support them

Anyone already on gov assistance is still getting money. Why would we give them a few thousand $$$$?
    You're right, but this isn't a signed bill yet. Hopefully they'll iron out some problems. I'm obviously not teaching any classes right now but my wife's job at the bank is still requiring them to be there (she does not work with the public). We won't need the 2k, but I'll take 500$ for Fatty .
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

My bad, I wasn't clear. I was asking about the bailouts to big companies ie the banks, motor companies, Wall Street, etc. How they can get these bailouts and just completely go unchecked on how they use their money.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    My bad, I wasn't clear. I was asking about the bailouts to big companies ie the banks, motor companies, Wall Street, etc. How they can get these bailouts and just completely go unchecked on how they use their money.

This time around will hopefully be different. The proposals I've seen thus far for businesses are in the form of loans, not gifts. And Trump has said he wants limitations on those funds (can't use them to buy back stock). Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

I also agree that lump payments to individuals is not the answer. My wife's self-owned business has pretty much shut down, but we don't rely on that income. I'm still working from home and getting paid. Meanwhile I know people who own businesses that are the sole means of support and they are in dire straits. That's who needs the $.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    This time around will hopefully be different. The proposals I've seen thus far for businesses are in the form of loans, not gifts. And Trump has said he wants limitations on those funds (can't use them to buy back stock). Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

I also agree that lump payments to individuals is not the answer. My wife's self-owned business has pretty much shut down, but we don't rely on that income. I'm still working from home and getting paid. Meanwhile I know people who own businesses that are the sole means of support and they are in dire straits. That's who needs the $.
    Yea it's nice that the government is trying to give us some money, but not to sound ungrateful, 1000 won't doichnfor hardly anyone. That won't even cover people's rent for a month in Cali and by the time the money is actually received people will already be behind. They need to just freeze all bills basically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Yea it's nice that the government is trying to give us some money, but not to sound ungrateful, 1000 won't doichnfor hardly anyone. That won't even cover people's rent for a month in Cali and by the time the money is actually received people will already be behind. They need to just freeze all bills basically.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    They are borrowing money from us and redistributing it back to us. Subtract the cost of the interest and the horribly inefficiency with which they will carry it out.

When people lose their jobs due to the extreme measures we are taking the check will be the equivalent of a hill of beans.

How does this happen? Emotions. People panic and get scared (sound familiar?), govt furthers that with scare tactics and what will happen to the common joe if x y z company fails. The press doesn’t cover what happens later because well it’s general more govt (which thy are in favor of) and people’s forget because
    Things are Good again