Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

An undefendable offense

In a recent interview talked about his desire to build an undefendable offense. He specifically talked about looking at WR, RB and OL in the draft.

That got me wondering. What type of player would make the biggest stride toward this goal? Roadgrading right guard? Tayvon Hill type utility threat? A McCafferty type pass catching back?

My answer would be another WR with explosive speed. While teams may have one DB capable of matching up against Hollywood, do they have a second to match up similarly on the opposite side? Will that cause DBs to turn and run, opening up the middle of the field for Andrews, Lamar and Mark? I think so.

From that perspective I am imagining the second Alabama WR, Henry Ruggs III, making this offense pretty lethal?

What other rookies might instantly help achieve Eric's goal?

Re: An undefendable offense

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

What other rookies might instantly help achieve Eric's goal?
    Fast ones, I agree. Pretty much any of the top 10 WRs in this draft has enough speed to open things up in the middle.

Blog Entries

In a vacuum?

A true #1 WR.

But I’m not sure if anything will every top the offense from last year

Maybe they want to find creative ways to run the ball with end motions which seems to be the cool trend happening. If that's the case they'll need more speed.

5. Re: An undefendable offense

I'd like a smart, athletic center with a nasty streak. A good center improves the entire line immensely. A three-down back like McCaffrey would be my second preference.

Honestly, I think we're one of a) Miles Boykin's light switching on and him learning to box out like a true X receiver or b) drafting a true X receiver like Tee Higgins - away from being set at the receiver position for a little bit.

Another receiver (or Boykins or Scott taking a big step up), another playmaking RB, and a road-grading guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    I'd like a smart, athletic center with a nasty streak. A good center improves the entire line immensely.

Cesar Ruiz and a gadget WR like Shenault would go a long way to getting you there and can likely both be had in round 2...

With the new 2nd and 2 3rds we can have our cake and eat it! I agree he's going for the missing WR but not sure about a pure burner(Ruggs is far gone by 28) There are great combination possible #1 WRs that have the size and speed to compliment. It's happening in the first 3 picks.

My feeling is that the goal will to be less reliant on Lamar's running and TEs and shift more to WRs that can hit the quick crossers for lots of YAC. Hurst being traded makes that direction clearer atleats to me.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I think you need someone else that can gain separation and make tough catches. Lamar has improved tremendously as a passer, but he's never going to have Drew Brees accuracy, you know? He doesn't need to.

BUT...our WR's need to be able to make catches on awkward balls and they need to be able to separate effectively.

I can see an argument for Claypool because of his size and upside.

I also think Tee Higgins could be a really nice fit in this offense.

The guy I'm most intrigued by though is Justin Jefferson. He's just such a smooth route guy and he can line up outside or in the slot. 111 receptions too...that's A LOT for any college receiver.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If you're looking for more speed you've gotta talk about KJ Hamler. He's a Hollywood clone. Probably doesn't have the hands Hollywood does, but otherwise his tape largely looks similar (and probably would be a late first round type guy in a different draft, much like Hollywood was last year). I'd really like to see Higgins in this offense to give us a little something different, but you're right, when he says undefendable offense I immediately think even more speed -- two Hollywoods would be incredibly difficult to handle.

Ruggs would obviously be dope if he fell a little and/or we move up a little. Duvernay has wheels later on in the draft.