Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Hollywood working out w/ his cousin Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    The one WR I will stump for the HOF that may not quite have the numbers...
    Sterling Sharpe, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    For years there's been a logjam at WR, in the HOF balloting.

I love PFR's Hall of Fame monitor:
    By their metric, the most "qualified" WRs not in the HOF are:

Larry Fitzgerald (active)
    Reggie Wayne
    Torry Holt
    Steve Smith
    Julio Jones (active)
    Andre Johnson
    Antonio Brown (?)
    Del Hofner
    Drew Pearson
    Calvin Johnson

Fitz is so absurdly over-qualified, it's ridiculous.

That guy I've never heard of, Del Hofner, played end for the Rams & Giants, 1957 to 67. A five-time All-Pro, Shofner caught passes from Billy Wade in LA, and YA Tittle in NY. Had four 1100-yd seasons, two double-digit TD seasons and three more seasons with 7-8-9. Led the league in recv yds once, and was 2nd or 3rd another three times.

According to a piece on Pro Football Researchers dot org, "Shofner was first tried as a defensive back with the Rams but quickly switched to wideout where his speed and catching ability made him the NFL’s most feared deep threat." Sorta like Roy Green I guess, if you remember him from the '80s. As a rookie DB in 1957, Shofner picked 2 INTs. He snagged another in 1959, which was after his switch to full-time receiver; I guess he was still doing spot-duty as a DB.

Shofner was also the Rams full-time punter, 1958-60! Talk about saving a roster spot.

Here's a long piece on Shefner from the Pro Football Journal, with some discussion of Shefner's tape:

LOOKING BACK
    Del Shofner: The Lean, Quiet, and Very Athletic Texan

By TJ Troup | March 21, 2020
    http://nflfootballjournal.blogspot.c...-and-very.html

Shoftner had a game in 1962 where he put up 269 yds vs Washington. Eat that, Washington Team Football.

I have no dog in the race on whether Del Shofner "should" be in the HOF. But seems like he was a very interesting player. I'm happy to have learned a little something about him.
    Not as good as Paul Warfield though...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Very well said.

Except with AB, it's not "this guy is one of the best players in the game." It's, "this guy WAS one of the best players in the game."

In 2017 he was one of the best players in the game. In 2018, he wasn't even the best WR on his own team. (Although still a very good player.) In 2019, he hardly played football at all.

In 2020, he is going to miss another 1/2 a season, and he's 32 years old. Odds are very good he is not still one of the best players in the game.
    I get that you’re trying to make a larger point but C’mon now:
    “In 2018, he wasn’t even the best WR on his own team”

AB was always the #1 player teams tried to stop. JuJu had a bit more catches and a chunk more yards but that was based on teams game planning to stop AB (double, bracket, rolled coverage) and AB still had 15! TDs

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I get that you’re trying to make a larger point but C’mon now:
    “In 2018, he wasn’t even the best WR on his own team”

AB was always the #1 player teams tried to stop. JuJu had a bit more catches and a chunk more yards but that was based on teams game planning to stop AB (double, bracket, rolled coverage) and AB still had 15! TDs
    That’s fair. I’ll plead guilty to hyperbole.

Any team would kill for 1300 yards and 15! TDs from a WR, no doubt.

But those numbers, apart from the TD total, are actually a decrease from his four-year average from ‘14-‘17. A pretty significant decrease at that.

Now, that could just be a ‘shit happens’ thing. In fact his 2016 numbers are almost identical. Could have been a product of things like losing Lev Bell, and having JuJu as a solid option across from him.

When WRs pass 30, you also have to consider that it could be a sign of slowing down. Much of ABs production was aided by Ben, the Pittsburgh line, the Pittsburgh scheme, etc.

So when talking from a purely football standpoint about signing AB, that’s something I’d be considering. Then when you add the OTHER stuff, that’s what makes it not worth finding out.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Yes, if you sign him for cheap and he starts to cause problems, you can release him. However, that assumes that his presence causes no lasting damage what so ever, to the psyche of your team.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Question Re: Hollywood working out w/ his cousin Antonio Brown

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes, if you sign him for cheap and he starts to cause problems, you can release him. However, that assumes that his presence causes no lasting damage what so ever, to the psyche of your team.
    Huh? Ex, in the "Lamar Jackson wants Antonio Brown" thread, you wrote :

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Under no circumstances would I sign Antonio Brown.
    Anyway, how can we predict if he would cause lasting damage or not? I'd pass on AB... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Huh? Ex, in the "Lamar Jackson wants Antonio Brown" thread, you wrote :

Anyway, how can we predict if he would cause lasting damage or not? I'd pass on AB... Bc
    The first post you quoted was toward the idea others presented, that you could always cut him easily, if he starts to cause trouble. I don’t think it would be that simple. Hence, why I wrote the second post you quoted.