Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I can see them still doing the regular season but probably without fans. Better than nothing!
    If, in 6 months, people are thinking "we should shut down NFL games" - we're really not going to have a civilization. 6 months of this, we're done we don't get to the point where we think "maybe the NFL will be a nice change of pace from all the rotting corpses and empty stores".

Or, much more likely, it's over by then and everything is back on track. If it somehow stays somewhere in between, people will understand the risk of going outside, and should be free to make that choice.

2. Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    60 secs on Google:

That R0 figure is a metric for "contagiousness". Early estimates of that number for Coronavirus were between 4 and 6.3, two weeks ago. If there are a ton of mild or asymptomatic cases, it could be higher.
    JimmyRipCord.....

His statement was that the swine flu lasted over a year and that the coronavirus is worse than that.
    According to the CDC:
    The swine flu, between April of 2009 and Jan of 2010, 57 million Americans were infected. 257,000 were hospitalized. [ deleted due to introduction of political discussion ] Weird, isn't it?
    Last edited by Mista T; 03-12-2020 at 11:53 PM. Reason: politics

Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Lol way too early for this

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I never said cancel it right now but that the NFL should start talking about it in preparation. If it's still this prominent by July (if not more) I think its an easy decision at that point.
    They should be making preparations for it. July, maybe even June will be a good time to make a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    JimmyRipCord.....

His statement was that the swine flu lasted over a year and that the coronavirus is worse than that.
    According to the CDC:
    The swine flu, between April of 2009 and Jan of 2010, 57 million Americans were infected. 257,000 were hospitalized.
    11,690 died. 1,180 of those were children. Now, using your Google, tell me how this is worse......as of today. That was his statement. [ deleted due to introduction of political discussion ] Weird, isn't it?
    I don't get it either. But hey, maybe this is a better way to approach a pandemic than before. We'll see.

SARS had a 10% mortality rate.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...rs-zika-2020-3
    Last edited by Mista T; 03-12-2020 at 11:54 PM. Reason: politics

6. Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Precedent with flu virus and other coronaviruses suggests a slowdown in the Summer, and then it comes roaring back in the Fall/Winter.

Given the lack of widespread testing availability and how slow we’ve been to establish even the most basic protocols, how late we’ve been to begin “social distancing” or quarantines, I’m not really on board with rosy projections.

Case studies for successful responses are Hong Kong and Singapore. They’ve avoided explosive outbreaks by being hyper-responsive.

From an interview with Mike Ryan, head of emergencies at the World Health Organization:

“The veteran of numerous global health crises, from SARS to bird flu to Ebola, Ryan points out that incredibly aggressive measures by China, South Korea and Japan appear to be bringing outbreaks in those countries under control.

"There's clearly an indication that a systematic government-led approach using all tactics and all elements available seems to be able to turn this disease around," he says.

He has been pleading with governments around the world to prepare for the new coronavirus before it shows up at their door — or to spring into action when it does arrive.

That's what Hong Kong and Singapore did.

Both quickly set up systems to try to identify and treat every case in their territory. Hong Kong developed diagnostic tests and rapidly deployed them to labs at every major hospital in the city. At one point in February, Hong Kong had 12,000 people in quarantine. Singapore's prime minister called for calm and assured residents that all health care related to the disease would be free.”

And that was a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Has the government started telling people what exists in the world of natural antivirals?

Could consider doing that.

If the government and the experts are so stupid and negligent to have accomplished this, maybe Trump should spend some money and find out what works.

There is super basic, super cheap stuff out there that people could use as either a surface cleaner, a hand sanitizer, or a salad dressing. Vinegar. Gallon jugs in the supermarket are only a little big more expensive than water. It kills germs on contact.

Baking soda also has both cleaning and health effects - it kills germs too. It's also, really, so very very cheap. Less than a dollar for a small box and a pretty big box for 2 bucks.

Is it within the competency of the government to test whether or not vinegar or baking soda can kill the corona virus? And if so, under what conditions? For example - does baking soda kill corona virus on counter tops? On hands or skin? If you use vinegar or baking soda as a treatment or a preventative, how well does that work? We know what science is there says that yes, vinegar and baking soda are useful in this way. But there is no big vinegar and there is no big baking soda. Maybe the government should use this medical issue as something that pushes them into some basic science to get this knowledge into the hands of the people and maybe also consider just giving it to them. Use the postal system for this.

Have the US Government do tests. Does this kill coronavirus? If yes, Arm and Hammer and Generic vinegar manufacturers, and Heinz, can put "this kills coronavirus" on the label. And people can see that, and buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Have the US Government do tests. Does this kill coronavirus? If yes, Arm and Hammer and Generic vinegar manufacturers, and Heinz, can put "this kills coronavirus" on the label. And people can see that, and buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Lol way too early for this

Also it will be very apparent if the NFL season needs to get canceled too by mid summer. This virus might die out over the summer or not, but if it's that big of an issue come August worrying about football will be the least of our worries.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Also it will be very apparent if the NFL season needs to get canceled too by mid summer. This virus might die out over the summer or not, but if it's that big of an issue come August worrying about football will be the least of our worries.
    Right... priorities!

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    We're set -- we've got a garden, we've got chickens, well water, generators, and shotguns in case the zombies come

If the virus that entered the human race from humping monkeys didn’t wipe us out , I think we will be ok, remember experts saying every man woman and child was going to have AIDS or be =HIV positive by 2020, how did that work out
    Last edited by one eyed bird; 03-12-2020 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    If the virus that entered the human race from humping monkeys didn’t wipe us out , I think we will be ok, remember experts saying every man woman and child was going to have AIDS by 2020, how did that work out
    LOL HIV is a very different virus from this mess. I really think this one will peak in a month or so, and pass through in about a year.