Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    No reason to think about preseason at this point. As they get closer they'll look into it and make a decision. Most likely though if you aren't able to play in August you aren't going to be able to play in September.
    I can see them still doing the regular season but probably without fans. Better than nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Uh... the article you quoted shows the same CFR that Wikipedia quoted. Not sure what point you’re making.

The point is the data SO FAR shows COVID-19 to have a significantly higher fatality rate than swine flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not here to argue or anything but that is not what the data shows. In fact right now there isn’t enough data to accurately say what the fatality rate is.

Some studies are saying 80%+ of the cases are so mild people aren’t even being diagnosed with it.

So the numbers of infected people are a lot larger than reported. That’s just a fact.

So when you say fatality rate is way higher you are basing that on people who have been diagnosed usually because they show more severe symptoms then the 80% of people who didn’t even go in for a diagnosis.

Again I don’t argue with opinions. Whether it’s cause for severe panic is a matter of opinion.

But to say the fatality rate is much higher than those others based on data is false. It’s based on opinion because there just isn’t enough data for that to be determined.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic

The H1N1 or “swine flu” pandemic of 2009 had a case fatality rate of only 0.01-0.08% (COVID right now is 10-100 times that).

The CFR of COVID is going to drop as we test more people, but again the main issue here isn’t just severity of illness, it’s overwhelming an ill-prepared and strained healthcare system.

The fatality rate for this virus is unknown. How many people have contracted it and thought it was a cold or flu?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    I’m not here to argue or anything but that is not what the data shows. In fact right now there isn’t enough data to accurately say what the fatality rate is.

Some studies are saying 80%+ of the cases are so mild people aren’t even being diagnosed with it.

So the numbers of infected people are a lot larger than reported. That’s just a fact.

So when you say fatality rate is way higher you are basing that on people who have been diagnosed usually because they show more severe symptoms then the 80% of people who didn’t even go in for a diagnosis.

Again I don’t argue with opinions. Whether it’s cause for severe panic is a matter of opinion.

But to say the fatality rate is much higher than those others based on data is false. It’s based on opinion because there just isn’t enough data for that to be determined.
    Hence the capitalized “SO FAR” part in what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The fatality rate for this virus is unknown. How many people have contracted it and thought it was a cold or flu?
    All we have is the data so far, incomplete as it is, and what we are seeing in other countries.

The prudent thing to do is assume and prepare for the worse end of projections. Not panic.

But not shrug it off either as incomplete data or just the flu/cold and carry on.

I think the right steps are being taken here with cancellations. Way late, but absolutely appropriate.

Blog Entries

All we have is the data so far, incomplete as it is, and what we are seeing in other countries.

The prudent thing to do is assume and prepare for the worse end of projections. Not panic.

But not shrug it off either as incomplete data or just the flu/cold and carry on.

I think the right steps are being taken here with cancellations. Way late, but absolutely appropriate.

And we know that data doesn't account for those not diagnosed. If we compare that to the other scenarios it's 1% or under.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    And we know that data doesn't account for those not diagnosed. If we compare that to the other scenarios it's 1% or under.
    I think our perspectives about risks and concern are also dependent on our experiences.

I’m a nephrologist. I work in critical care in multiple ICUs every day. I’ve seen what plain old influenza can do to even healthy people. So when pulmonary critical care docs I respect and look up to are telling me it’s “the real deal” and to be prepared for a surge while they’re self-quarantining, I tend to sit up and pay attention.

Again, there’s no need to panic. The majority of people are going to be fine. But people are going to die. People have already died.

And the health system which wasn’t great at bed management to begin with is going to get a stress test.

It’s not the apocalypse, but it’s not allergies either. There’s still time.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I never said cancel it right now but that the NFL should start talking about it in preparation. If it's still this prominent by July (if not more) I think its an easy decision at that point.
    Literally no reason to talk about it at this point because they'd just be guessing like everyone else is. You can quote 10 "experts" and you'd have 10 different feelings on how this is going to play out. No one knows right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Literally no reason to talk about it at this point because they'd just be guessing like everyone else is. You can quote 10 "experts" and you'd have 10 different feelings on how this is going to play out. No one knows right now.
    With the steps that Hogan just took, the NFL won't have a decision to make if this is still around by July. Training camp would be closed to the public, preseason would be cancelled entirely (no gatherings above 250 people - there are more than that on the sidelines between players, coaches, and training staff), and a shortened season would not be out of the question.

The NFL will continue remaining off season events as normally scheduled with practical changes as needed. The schedule reveal will likely happen as previously planned (it's done in a studio - absolutely no reason to change it). If any changes are made to the draft, it will be to close it to the public, and restructure the "green room." They need what, the top 50 prospects, plus a guest, plus the 5 or 6 talking heads, 32 team reps, and a production crew with a handful of cameras - you can definitely pull this off with under 150 people on site.

10. Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No
    I'm more concerned about things like pro days getting cancelled.

Teams need that data.

Preseason starts when? August? We won't be in the situation that we're in right now in August.

This ish gonna get rough

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    With the steps that Hogan just took, the NFL won't have a decision to make if this is still around by July. Training camp would be closed to the public, preseason would be cancelled entirely (no gatherings above 250 people - there are more than that on the sidelines between players, coaches, and training staff), and a shortened season would not be out of the question.

The NFL will continue remaining off season events as normally scheduled with practical changes as needed. The schedule reveal will likely happen as previously planned (it's done in a studio - absolutely no reason to change it). If any changes are made to the draft, it will be to close it to the public, and restructure the "green room." They need what, the top 50 prospects, plus a guest, plus the 5 or 6 talking heads, 32 team reps, and a production crew with a handful of cameras - you can definitely pull this off with under 150 people on site.
    Again, giant "if" there. No one knows what impact this is going to have and for how long. You can go to Twitter and see countless tweets quoting so-called experts and none of those opinions are the same right now. It's just inducing further panic with a whole bunch of guesswork.